Author Topic: Oct 2 Colbert Report  (Read 927 times)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
Oct 2 Colbert Report
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
J'all see the Colbert Report on Tuesday?  He was in fine form about separation of church and state and church involvement in US elections. 

Get past the opeining advertisement and scroll over to the 4+00 mark, and Stephen works up to a one-on-one with pastor Jim Garlow, one of the leaders of "Pulpit Freedom Sunday", as only Colbert can...

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/tue-october-2-2012-jorge-ramos
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +203/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
Re: Oct 2 Colbert Report
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
No one is taking away the pastors right to say what he wants to say.  He's just going to pay for it if he does.  He should weigh the two options and make the best choice.  I'm hoping the IRS opens up a can of whoop ass on them, but I doubt they will.  The legal battle would be a nightmare because the church has more money than the government, so they can hire lawyers from hell. 

This further solidifies my belief that the 3 most dangerous groups of people in our country right now are pastors, preachers and priests.  They stand up in front of hundreds and thousands of mindless sheep in their black robes as if they know something more than the rest of us, and nobody challenges them.  They are the problem.

"God wants you to vote for X" is a powerful sentiment.   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
Just caught up my dvr tonight and saw this episode, thought about posting it myself.  Good find, great video.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »
And, yet again, more people demonstrate their abject ignorance of how freedom of speech and separation of church and state actually work. First of all that IRS condition has no bearing on the first amendment because it doesn't suppress free speech. Just because you invoke your freedom of speech it doesn't automatically render any consequences of the content of said speech unconstitutional. This is tantamount to saying that my employer's right to fire me violates my free speech because I can't advertise how big of an asshole he is without potentially losing my job.

Second, separation of church and state was never intended as a one-way street that only protects churches from government interference while allowing them unlimited power. The whole emphasis on the word separation is that they both operate on two totally different wavelengths and keep the hell out of each other's way. You'd think if it was intended the way the forefather-worshiping pastor in that video seems to believe it would have instead been more aptly named subjugation of state by church.

Of course it doesn't matter a whit whether anything changes here because you know the fundie church endorsement of Romney still goes on regardless of whether they have to mince words to stay tax-exempt. Not that they have to because, as stated in the video, they've already performed this publicity stunt for 4 years in hopes of getting the opportunity to take the IRS to court without any luck. This is nothing more than a blatant forefather worship campaign where they regard the Constitution much like the Bible - an immutable text of absolute authority with inconvenient bits that are meant to be ignored.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:56 AM »
Great video.  Thanks for sharing. 

I work for a 501c3 not-for-profit organization.  I may not endorse candidates when I have my work hat on because of my agency's tax exempt status.  It is not that complicated. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »
Tax the suckers.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
"Sorry, this video is not available in your area."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
Tax the suckers.

Agreed.  They can have all the free speech they want, but not subsidized by tax payers.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »

The copyright holders are strangling creativity and information.

I know Germans can watch it right on the site, but not the British?  WTF?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:06:52 AM »
Colbert is a master of pointing out the stupidity of people and their ideas.  Wish they were smart enough to catch it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

3sigma

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »

You can view it by defeating their address check. They check the location of your IP address and they try to be clever by also checking whether you are traversing a proxy in an attempt to defeat their check. You can use that against them. You can portray yourself as being a proxy and spoof the originating address as being within the US.

1. Download an extension to modify your HTTP headers (Modify Headers for Firefox or ModHeader for Chrome).
2. Add the header X-Forwarded-For with an address for an entity within the US (for example, 72.246.53.67).
3. Reload the Colbert Report page.
4. Watch the video.

This doesn’t work for all sites that check IP address location. Some of them probably check the address of the proxy as well.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
Well I downloaded Headerhacker and HTTP Headers for Chrome and am presented with a screen in which Headerhacker  says,

"This is the list of changes made to outgoing request headers. When each switch is "on", Chrome will modify the header as you specify -- either by replacing the entire contents of the header, or by adding more text to it."

This is followed by six boxes:

Title-   Header-   Append/Replace-   String-   Match String and an Add button

All boxes are blank except Append/replace which is a drop-down box. What do i put in

Title-   Header-   Append/Replace-   String-   Match String ?

And where do I find it?

HTTP Headers on this page shows this page's url and a list of "names and values" but there seems to be nothing I can do with it except add some tags. : (

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

3sigma

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
Hmmm… I haven’t tried Headerhacker so I downloaded it just now and explored it a little. It would seem that when you begin typing “X-Forwarded-For” in the Header field, it tries to autocomplete and offers a dropdown list from which you can select X-Forwarded-For. Then you change the Append/Replace to Append and add the IP address (72.246.53.67) in the String field.

After I did all that, I watched it with Wireshark and it appears to be appending the correct header. However, the site still won’t display the video. I know for a fact, though, that ModHeader works. Why not try that extension instead?

After you download and install it, click the icon in the toolbar, enter X-Forwarded-For in the first field and 72.246.53.67 in the second field and add it. That’s all you need to do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:39:04 AM by 3sigma »

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
Many thanks, that worked!

Having seen it, it made me think of the British rebels who cried, "No taxation without representation!" - This is simply the same in reverse, "No representation without taxation!"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:09:07 AM by Graybeard »

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
Would TOR also solve this issue?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3sigma

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
TOR might solve the problem or perhaps an anonymous proxy, but you would need to ensure that the TOR terminating node or the proxy was within the US. I don’t know if you can do that. I admit I haven’t tried either solution. Once I found a solution that worked, I stopped looking.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:22 AM »
Can't see it here in Australia either, and since I'm on a work computer I can't download anything. Bummer.  :'(
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.