Author Topic: Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang ‘Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell’  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
Representative Broun,  a physician, with an M.D. and a B.S. in chemistry and serves on the US House Science Committee,  had this to say in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month:

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

*facepalm*

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/rep-paul-broun-r-ga-evolution-big-bang-lies-straight-from-the-pit-of-hell.php?ref=fpb

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Amazing! Any politician saying that here would be carted off to the squirrel farm.  I think the most you could say and get away with it would be, "There are those who believe that Jesus was not entirely unreasonable."

Of Bush's apprentice and general lunatic, Tony Blair:
Tony Blair has disclosed that he once wanted to end an address to the nation with the words “God bless Britain”. However, the former Prime Minister said his suggestion provoked such strong concern from civil servants that he was forced to drop the idea.

...his former spin doctor Alastair Campbell famously declared “we don't do God”, when the then Prime Minister was asked about his beliefs..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/9265571/Tony-Blair-wanted-to-end-speech-with-God-bless-Britain.html
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
How would you like to have that guy in charge of your medical outcome? :-\
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
What is wrong with this person?

How can anyone claim to be educated, yet seriously expound on something that's so ridiculous that even conspiracy theorists would laugh at it?

The sooner the Republican Party collapses so that we can get these nuts out of power, the better.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
I wish I could be in a position of power to tell others what parts of reality to disregard.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online shnozzola

Think this letter is OK to send to Rep. Broun?

Did you say that evolution and the idea of the big bang were straight from the pit of hell?

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/rep-paul-broun-r-ga-evolution-big-bang-lies-straight-from-the-pit-of-hell.php?ref=fpb

Hmmm - Doctor, Scientist, huh?  Certainly I am not a constituent of yours, but it is disconcerting that we have government leaders that will say this.  I wonder what your colleagues think of your statement?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:43:34 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
And I'm not even sure that was the scariest part of the article.

“[the Bible] teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
And I'm not even sure that was the scariest part of the article.

“[the Bible] teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”
Has a Tailban and Sharia Law sound to it...doesn't it?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
He left out germ theory! Why didn't he say that all disease was caused by demons? Did he forget, or was he playing the crowd..?
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Has a Tailban and Sharia Law sound to it...doesn't it?

Dont be silly Nick.  Sharia Law is foreign and scary.  If we made our laws based on the Bible, it would be "Biblical".... so that's fine.  Separation of church and state is only applicable if it is a religion other than christianity.

Quotes fixed GB
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:04:30 PM by Graybeard »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin