Author Topic: Would-be Eagle Scout denied award for his sexuality  (Read 2366 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Would-be Eagle Scout denied award for his sexuality
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
Are you sure it's denial? It could be constipation.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »
Without starting a new topic I saw in the news today that The Boy Scouts of America is actually reconsidering their stance of not allowing homosexuals into their little club. Atheists are still out, though.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Yeah, I believe they are supposed to decide later this afternoon.  I am one of about 7,000 Eagle scouts who signed a petition to try to motivate some sort of change.  https://www.scoutsforequality.com/ I'm optimistic that they will at least allow homosexual boys membership, if not adult leaders.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Yers in ateist, hows u n it?

;)

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
I wasn't at the time. 

I actually didn't know that they had a formal ban on atheist "members and adult leaders", but I went and double checked.  You are right.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
My 12 year-old nephew was kicked out of Scouts for expressing doubts about god.  I hate the BSA despite the recent semi-shift in their policy against gay people. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +824/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
Girl Scouts, on the other hand, are accepting of diversity and an all-around better organization. Plus cookies-- what's not to like?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
My 12 year-old nephew was kicked out of Scouts for expressing doubts about god.  I hate the BSA despite the recent semi-shift in their policy against gay people.
Gee, a 12 year old questioning.  How strange.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
I was 12-13 when I began to seriously question the Bible and Biblegod. My sister was 12, I have no idea how old my brother was but it was probably around the same age. It's probably more common than not.

-Nam

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »
back in the 70's and 80's I did quite a bit in Scouting in the UK as a leader and I noticed even then that the lads who were joining looked awfully blank when we had to discuss the promise. Even back then the youth of the day had not real interest in religion!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Children rarely are. When I worked at the YMCA[1] there was a weekend camping[2] trip and let me tell you; religion was absolutely not on many of the teens minds. Two other things were: drugs and sex.

I wasn't a very good chaperone (I didn't partake in the drugs part ;))

-Nam
 1. agnostic-atheist at the time; they didn't know
 2. log cabins; not much of "camping" there

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
Gee, a 12 year old questioning.  How strange.

Well, actually, his folks are both pretty much atheists so not that strange!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »
heh.  the way the thread title is written it sounds like there are sexuality awards and for some unknown reason the eagle scout was denied his.  Like, he failed to get the sexuality badge.  For a moment I thought maybe I quit the scouts too soon.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 11:41:11 PM »

Also I felt terrible yesterday, one of my coworkers, good guy, is a pastor of a small church. We get along well at work and often times get lunch together. He knows I'm atheist, I know hes a pastor. But yesterday I ask him bout getting lunch, he suggests Chic-Fil-A. Damn, I did not even want to get into this discussion as yesterday was going nice and easy and I was avoiding anything to ruin it, so I got Chic-Fil-A. And all I could think about was my $7 going to stop civil rights. So I plan on asking a gay friend for forgiveness.

Maybe this will make you feel a little better about your lunch date.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/01/chick-fil-a-ceo-and-gay-activist-are-now-friends/

***I don't know how to fix this but the above quote should be from "The Gawd"***
quote fixed  ~Screwtape
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:55:36 AM by screwtape »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »
heh.  the way the thread title is written it sounds like there are sexuality awards and for some unknown reason the eagle scout was denied his.  Like, he failed to get the sexuality badge.  For a moment I thought maybe I quit the scouts too soon.

..... It is a bit ambiguous.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 06:57:17 AM »
Maybe this will make you feel a little better about your lunch date.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/01/chick-fil-a-ceo-and-gay-activist-are-now-friends/

***I don't know how to fix this but the above quote should be from "The Gawd"***
quote fixed  ~Screwtape

LOL @ Lunch date.

Yes, this does make me feel better about eating Chic-Fil-A that one time. And now I can without guilt go back. But the article sounded like the guy who gets busted telling racist jokes and responds with, "I have a black friend!"