Author Topic: Tapatalk App  (Read 850 times)

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
Tapatalk App
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Anyone ever considered adding this forum to Tapatalk? It makes viewing a lot easier on mobile devices.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
Re: Tapatalk App
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
what's tapatalk?  I do not as yet have a "smart phone" apparatus.  And I am steadfastly resisting pressure to get one. 

So please clue me in.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
what's tapatalk?  I do not as yet have a "smart phone" apparatus.  And I am steadfastly resisting pressure to get one. 

So please clue me in.

My advice.  Cave.

I had a blackberry for a little over two years and I liked it, but finally got an iphone 4s a few months ago... so nice.  Particularly if you spend most of your day where you have WiFi access, its just so convenient.  That said I have no idea what tapatalk is.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
Screw that.  I'm cheap.  The data plan required for the "smart phone" is another $35 a month --> $420 per year on top of the ~$1000 I already pay.  And I don't need internet access every breathing moment.  I have to say, I really hate where society is at right now. Not that any other time would have been better, except maybe about a million years ago, before homo sapiens.  Damn you for reminding me of that, Garja.

apparently tapatalk is a free-ish program which forum owners install to facilitate the participation of mobile devices.  Since all the kids are doin' it, we should probably stay current.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

So please clue me in.
It's an app made for forum access.  It's basically a more efficient method of browsing on a device than via the webpage.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
Shut up, Mooby!

Sorry, that was just instinct. I'm gonna put that ther app on my ipad and see what happens.

Sanx.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »
hmmm, from tapatalk description in app store:

"Ambassador Pony need to activate Tapatalk support in this forum before members can access it"

But, it's free to do that. and, it does wotk with SMF.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:55:12 PM by Ambassador Pony »
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
If you need a forum to test it with, IGI has Tapatalk set up.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
I figured it out.

ok. 

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Tapatalk enabled would be great.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »
For those of you who use mobile devices, please give us your feedback once this is enabled.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »
BM

I'll be back this weekend to offer feedback.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
I have to say, I really hate where society is at right now. Not that any other time would have been better, except maybe about a million years ago, before homo sapiens.  Damn you for reminding me of that, Garja.

You're.... welcome????  Yeah, I agree with some of what you said about society, but the ability to instantly prove someone wrong at any time is simply too convenient. 
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
Screw that.  I'm cheap.  The data plan required for the "smart phone" is another $35 a month --> $420 per year on top of the ~$1000 I already pay.  And I don't need internet access every breathing moment.
Yeah, and the cost per gig is marked up by thousands. I haven't caved on the phone yet: I use an iPod, which uses wifi only and so I don't have a data plan.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »
Screw that.  I'm cheap.  The data plan required for the "smart phone" is another $35 a month --> $420 per year on top of the ~$1000 I already pay.  And I don't need internet access every breathing moment.
Yeah, and the cost per gig is marked up by thousands. I haven't caved on the phone yet: I use an iPod, which uses wifi only and so I don't have a data plan.

I had an iPhone for a while, but yeah, it's pretty steep (and I was getting a federal govt discount, too, yet), so I eventually broke my contract and sold the phone.

I went iPod Touch only for a while, but WiFi isn't *quite* widespread enough for that to be really convenient yet.  After a while, I got a Verizon iPad, which is a pretty good compromise: I tether my iPod Touch to my iPad thru Bluetooth, and that way, I get cellular on my iPod Touch.  iPad data plans are significantly cheaper than smartphone plans, too -- I use Verizon's 1 GB per month plan, which is only twenty dollars.  And since I already carry a backpack everywhere I go anyway, the iPad can just stay in the backpack while the tethering is turned on, and I don't even notice the extra weight.  I also have a decent-sized screen for when I want to access the web or whatever when I'm not at home.  Another plus to this arrangement is that I can check my personal email and so forth at work without using government-owned equipment, where there's no expectation of privacy.

The only downside is that there's no phone service this way, but for me, that's not an issue because I almost never use voice service (cellular or otherwise).  Well, that and the fact that you do have to buy an iPad, of course, but in the long run, that's still a lot less expensive than a smartphone.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn