Author Topic: Another creationist takes the field  (Read 822 times)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
Another creationist takes the field
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »
http://muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/x325742799/THE-PEOPLE-SPEAK-Unbelievers-use-words-of-unbelievers

However, scientific tests incorporate errant assumptions. For instance, three-year old rock, from Mount St. Helen, was dated as thousands of years old. So, who’s lying?

In the 1970s, a fossil named Lucy was dated over a million years old. When another fossil, considered transitional from Lucy, was dated too close to Lucy’s age, Lucy was retested. Instantly, she was nearly 50 percent older than a day earlier. Which date is correct? They just have to protect the “theory.”

The amazing thing is how easy it is to blow apart his false beliefs about evolution and science.  Five minutes of research showed that the Mt. Saint Helens dating error was due to a creationist 'scientist' who used a dating method known to be inaccurate for rocks less than 10,000 years old.  Another five minutes of research showed that the two datings of Lucy were 17 years apart, with a consequent improvement in accuracy.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Another creationist takes the field
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
File under "some scientist got soemthing wrong in the past, current science corrects error, therefore all science is bad, therefore God" line of reasoning. Odd how often such a ludicrous, and I do mean ludicrous(using science to prove science bad)line a reasoning is used.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
They do this with climate change also.  Maybe he graduated from a school in Missouri where the answer "God did it" can be counted as correct on a test.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
He and Ashwood are both much more ignorant about science than they believe they are, thus demonstrating the old adage that people who are below the curve will still believe they are above it.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
I was originally going to say that of all the things that theists do, their anti-science-anti-intellectual push is probably the thing that irritates me the most.... but then I thought of ALL THE OTHER DUMB AND OPPRESSIVE SHIT they do on TOP of that and it slid down the list a bit... but its still really high.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »
All I saw was "three year old rock".  I LOL'd.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
This guy can't even get his own theology straight.

Bob Thompson (online) referred to a website which speculatively asks, did God create earth in six literal days? No, God did it in one

If he has such a hard time with what the bible plainly states, then I guess we really can't expect him to understand science either...  :blank:
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +63/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »
All I saw was "three year old rock".  I LOL'd.

Yeah I got stuck there too. I just... it doesn't... how... but then...

WTF???
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you fucking turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:04 AM »
The dating method refers to the time since a volcanic rock was formed in this case.

The irony is that his fellow YECs will probably not think much of his creatively metaphorical interpretation of the Bible.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +465/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:16:57 AM »
The author of the piece is at it again here -> http://muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/x564244795/THE-PEOPLE-SPEAK-Man-s-reasoning-isn-t-equal-to-God-s-truth/stripped?device=mobile

and here -> http://muskogeephoenix.com/letters/x1750837156/THE-PEOPLE-SPEAK-Is-writer-not-familiar-with-God-s-word/print

And there's a .pdf file which shows him to be a Lutheran - which is strange as they have women priests.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +63/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:06:47 AM »
The dating method refers to the time since a volcanic rock was formed in this case.

By that token I could take a larger rock, smash it to bits, pick up a piece and declare "Lo! I have created this rock!"
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you fucking turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »
By that token I could take a larger rock, smash it to bits, pick up a piece and declare "Lo! I have created this rock!"
K-Ar datingWiki.  Argon is normally trapped within rock, but melting it (such as in a volcano) causes it to be released; once the rock solidifies, argon starts to accumulate again from the decay of isotopic potassium, which has a very long half-life.

I agree that his statement that the rock was 'created' is dumb.  But the basis of the dating method is sound...provided there have been a few thousand years since a volcano erupted.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
There are four regulars who write to the Phoenix (call them the Four Musketeers, since they soldier on despite the fact that they never convince anyone of anything).  Joshua Ashwood and Robert Bornfleth, who are creationists who varyingly lecture about how people should obey the injunctions in the Bible and rant about science they don't agree with, and Herb Pope and Catherine White, "birthers" who are suspicious of government.

Unfortunately, the Phoenix limits letters to 350 words, once a month, so if I write back to them, I can't say anything else for a month.  And given that there are four of them and one of me...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
pseudonyms are your friends
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.