Author Topic: "The Future of Driving"  (Read 590 times)

Online shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
"The Future of Driving"
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
California moved into the self-driving lane this week. With Google’s help, it passed a law that will allow computer-controlled cars on the road, at least on a test basis. Google has modified and tested a fleet of Toyota Prius hybrids that drive themselves using a range of video and radar technology

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-09-27/future-driving

..........and Cadillac has promised to have a car capable of driving autonomously on the highway by 2015
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/06/08/self_driving_car
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: "The Future of Driving"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »
California moved into the self-driving lane this week. With Google’s help, it passed a law that will allow computer-controlled cars on the road, at least on a test basis. Google has modified and tested a fleet of Toyota Prius hybrids that drive themselves using a range of video and radar technology

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-09-27/future-driving

..........and Cadillac has promised to have a car capable of driving autonomously on the highway by 2015
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/06/08/self_driving_car

They've been talking a bit about this in some of my car magazines, as you can imagine.  Driving enthusiasts are mostly appalled, of course, but when this technology becomes widely available, it will be a huge boon in so many ways.  I, for one, absolutely hate driving, at least in the city, and would very much welcome a self-driving car.  A friend of mine feels the same way about driving.  And, of course, the benefits for elderly and disabled people are obvious as well.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +596/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
I like driving (though not for its own sake), and I'm good at it.  So there's two problems I can see.  First off is that if a bad driver relies on this technology, they'll never become a good driver, though that's not as pressing a concern.  The second is more what happens when you mix the kind of people who think they're better at driving than they are with self-driving cars.

I agree that this will mostly be good once they get it all worked out.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
I like driving (though not for its own sake), and I'm good at it.

I live in the Metro DC area.  Driving around here sucks.  I'm sure I would enjoy it a lot more in places like rural New England.

First off is that if a bad driver relies on this technology, they'll never become a good driver, though that's not as pressing a concern.

Yeah, not really.  I mean, if they only use driverless cars, their lack of driving skill won't matter.  It's kind of like the way things are with stick shifts these days: newer technologies, such as paddle shifters, are becoming preferable, so much so that even supercar manufacturers like Ferrari and Lamborghini -- traditionally big proponents of stick shifts, for obvious reasons -- are starting to move away from sticks.  Fewer and fewer people are able to drive sticks these days because sticks are becoming increasingly obsolete.

The second is more what happens when you mix the kind of people who think they're better at driving than they are with self-driving cars.

True.  You get that in a lot of areas, of course.

I agree that this will mostly be good once they get it all worked out.

Definitely.  Congested cities, in particular, will probably see the most benefit.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
I think the goal should be cars that drive the way people should, but cannot.  There would be no actual traffic jams because the cars, networked together, could adjust speed, merge at speed and do all the things people cannot and will not because they view driving as a competition and not a team effort. 

It would eliminate most reasons for car accidents.
http://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/

Distractions, speeding, intoxication, recklessness, redlights, stop signs, teen driving, night driving, lane changes.  All the human factors would be removed.  All the texters would be free to text their stupid little hearts out.

The only remaining source of accidents would be actual malfunctions of one kind or another. Weather conditions - rain, ice, fog, etc - could be drastically reduced by programing the cars to drive at more sensible speeds.  Road conditions and malfunctions would be the remaining causes.

If you've seen the movie Minority Report, self driving cars were the ubiquitous mode of public transit and it was glorious. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
I, for one, absolutely hate driving, at least in the city,

It will be a long, long, long time before you see this technology for city street driving, longer than you are likely to be alive for. I sincerely believe that AI vehicles will be available before local govenment infastructure will do the serious expenditures required for the level needed for a centralized system covering anything but highways. Hell, outside of traffic light cameras, they can hardly maintain the current infastructure. I see poorly timed traffic lights, traffic light outtages every other electrical storm, pot holes, falling apart bridges, even a sinkhole a city block long and three lanes wide.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
It will be a long, long, long time before you see this technology for city street driving, longer than you are likely to be alive for.

The pundits are saying that self-driving cars could constitute up to twenty percent of all car sales only twelve years from now, and I'm inclined to believe them.  This type of technology always advances a lot faster than many people expect.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
It will be a long, long, long time before you see this technology for city street driving, longer than you are likely to be alive for.

The pundits are saying that self-driving cars could constitute up to twenty percent of all car sales only twelve years from now, and I'm inclined to believe them.  This type of technology always advances a lot faster than many people expect.

Yes, Highway use, very much I agree. Particularly in California, but DC city traffic....2089 at the earliest, maybe.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

Yes, Highway use, very much I agree. Particularly in California, but DC city traffic....2089 at the earliest, maybe.

Forbes doesn't agree with you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomics/2012/09/25/self-driving-cars-will-take-over-by-2040/

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
Still waiting on my flying car  >:(
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
Still waiting on my flying car  >:(

I have one.  mwu ha ha ha ha ha...

I knew my screen name would eventually mean something!