Author Topic: Artificial Bat Cave: A Radical Idea to Save America's Bats  (Read 514 times)

Offline shnozzola

Artificial Bat Cave: A Radical Idea to Save America's Bats
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
White nose syndrome has been devastating to cave-hibernating bats since it was discovered in New York state in 2006.

We’ve lost more than 5 million bats in 19 states, and we still haven’t identified any way to control bat mortality rates or the fungus that causes those deaths.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/tennessee/artificialbatcave.xml
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Re: Artificial Bat Cave: A Radical Idea to Save America's Bats
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I was going to make a joke about "white nose" syndrome but I am just glad to see something positive and innovative like this coming from Tennessee...we get too much negative press.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »
What if artificial batman is in there?

We have lost and are losing a lot more than just bats.

1. Honey bees.
2. Coral reefs.
3. Ice sheets.
4. Polar bears.
5. Many frog species.
6. etc.

All signs of the canary singing in the mine/cave.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »
These are all huge issues.  We are drowning ourselves in pesticides, while the natural predators of many of the insects we are trying to kill are dying off.  My daughter did a kindergarten presentation about the bats dying.  I will have to share this story with her.  She will like it.

But Nick is right. 

The bees are huge.  The rapid loss of the bee populations is going to have a huge impact on the entire planet.

Frogs are also bug eaters.  Kill them.  We need more pesticides. 

The coral reefs.  I am shocked to visit sites i used to dive, and see such destruction.  Local residents usually blame the coral bleaching on some recent hurricane.  But there have been many many hurricanes in the thousands of years that some of those reefs survived.  It is something more. 

And then those of us who live on island wonder about rising sea levels....

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
Nick,
     Someone had to mention batman with the batcave - I'm glad it was you.  Alfred would be proud. ;)

As for the bees - folks are almost 100% sure now  it is the neonicintinoid insecticides.  They haven't been getting much press lately, maybe farmers are using more acute insecticides with more forethought for spraying when bees aren't as active.  I believe we will see the honey bee industry revive - then keepers can go back to worrying about the bee mites. :-\
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »
^ crap I hope so!  Not only are we kinda agriculturally screwed  without bees.... have you tried "Honey Bunches of Oats"? that shit is awesome!
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
   Another solution would be the immediate and total extinction of the human race, unfortunately that isn't happening anytime soon...
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
^ I dont know, some kids in my history class today were pretty sure the Apocalypse was just around the corner.  &)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
^ I dont know, some kids in my history class today were pretty sure the Apocalypse was just around the corner.  &)
Isn't it always?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
It certainly seems so.

Hell, even Jesus probably thinks hes running a little  late at this point:
"Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book." (Rev. 22:7 NIV)

and
"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray." (1 Peter 4:7 NIV)

but I'm SURE this times its for real!

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »

Kill off the Bee...and it is likely within 60 years.

That's one of the reasons I am child free. If the world was at 250 million population, we likely wouldn't be in the pile of shit we are now. But no, we our dedicated to fulfilling our role of Easter Islanders writ large.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.