Author Topic: Science Makes us all Wonder  (Read 425 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Science Makes us all Wonder
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
The crowning achievements of Mankind are again celebrated in the Ignoble Prizes 2012.

Psychology Prize: Anita Eerland and Rolf Zwaan (Netherlands) and Tulio Guadalupe (Peru/Russia/Netherlands) for their study Leaning to the Left Makes the Eiffel Tower Seem Smaller.

Chemistry Prize: Johan Pettersson (Sweden/Rwanada) for solving the puzzle of why, in certain houses in the town of Anderslöv, Sweden, people's hair turned green.

Literature Prize: The US Government General Accountability Office for issuing a report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports. (My favourite – I can hardly believe the US can out-bureaucrat Britain - well done!)

Physics Prize:  Fluid Dynamics Prize: Rouslan Krechetnikov (US/Russia/Canada) and Hans Mayer (US) for studying the dynamics of liquid-sloshing, to learn what happens when a person walks while carrying a cup of coffee.

Medicine Prize: Emmanuel Ben-Soussan and Michel Antonietti (France) for advising doctors who perform colonoscopies how to minimise the chance that their patients will explode.

If you want to see who won the
Peace Prize:
Acoustics Prize: 
Neuroscience Prize:
Anatomy Prize:

Go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19667664
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
Re: Science Makes us all Wonder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »
Literature Prize: The US Government General Accountability Office for issuing a report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports. (My favourite – I can hardly believe the US can out-bureaucrat Britain - well done!)
I imagine the result must be something like two monkeys fornicating on a keyboard and someone dressed in a biohazard suit and blitzed off his/her ass just ordering it into paragraphs afterwards. I mean, just imagine the signal to noise at that point ...
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe