Author Topic: Why does this effect you? [#660]  (Read 329 times)

Offline DL

Why does this effect you? [#660]
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »
I am an atheist,

Here is my question.
"Where would we be as a race with no idea of a God to guide us?"*

With no conciseness to right nor wrong, people could kill and feel fine
about it. (Or commit other crimes, which our sense of right or wrong would
not be what it is today without religion.) God may not be real but serves a
real purpose. You are trying to get people who are easily manipulated
(Followers) to believe they are free to do what ever. They are already weak
minded and could easily be overcome by their natural instincts to kill and
not care. This would halt the progression of our race and inevitably be our
downfall. You want people who have nothing but god to be totally lost with
no hope in their life? What kind of meaningless exsistence is that? No
greater purpose? For a weak minded person its nothing, but for a stronge
person it means to live every breathe to the fullest and create your own
greater purpose.

If you wish to discuss this please contact me Via email or IM

AOL: [userid]
MSN: [userid]
YAHOO: [userid]

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Why does this effect you? [#660]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:57:11 PM »
So, believers are just too weak minded to survive without God?  I certainly don't agree with this premise.  And I am quite certain that losing one's belief in God will certainly not result in the mayhem and anarchy that you describe. 

If God is nothing but natural, human emotion, then it is quite safe to lose religion altogether.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »
"I am an atheist,"

There is no need for subterfuge if you have a good point and can support it.

(If you were an atheist you'd know already the answers to your questions.)

If you can muster the honesty to admit you lied in your first 4 words, feel free to come and talk with us.  I'm all for reality and honest discussions, especially when I can learn something new.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline L6

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ignostic
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
I am an atheist,
Irrelevant.

*"Where would we be as a race with no idea of a God to guide us?"*

With no conciseness to right nor wrong, people could kill and feel fine
about it.
What does "conciseness" (consciousness?) have to do with "God"? That we each have a conscience is self-evident. What use is "God"? Do you really need someone to tell you that stealing and killing are "bad things"? You can't figure that out for yourself out of enlightened self-interest? Are you saying people aren't inherently selfish ENOUGH that they can't figure this out?
God's existence is contingent upon the illusion that morality is dictated by religious authority.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:41:52 PM »
I don't believe in god - in my day to day reality, there is no god to guide me.  I don't have a concise notion of right and wrong - though I'm not sure that this would change if I did believe in god. 

Nonetheless, I feel bad when I hurt people.  I don't think we are free to do whatever we want, but those limitations aren't imposed by a god, or even by any mystical force of morality.  There are consequences to actions, cause and effect, without there being a god.

None of this shows evidence whether god is real or not.  You're just arguing that we need the illusion of god in order to seek out goodness (even though that fails among believers all the time).    You may think that sounds nice, but if god isn't real, yet morality is dependent upon god, then morality isn't real also.  And so what are you worried about?  If you are an atheist who thinks morality is dependent upon god belief, you yourself must be amoral, and you could surely not have any basis to complain when people do things perceived to be "immoral".  There would be no such thing to you.  All things would be equal and the wrongdoings of the world would not phase you. 

By the same token, if you're an atheist who thinks that meaning & purpose in life is dependent upon god (again, not true), and that a meaningless existence is a bad thing (is it?), then you must be a terribly conflicted person.  Life must be meaningless to you and you must surely find a problem with that.  Are you really a strong-willed person if you think people need such an illusion in order to hide from reality rather than dealing with it? 

So there's a great deal of inconsistency in your argument, apart from a lot of bullshit also. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:46:00 PM by spider »