Author Topic: 2012 election  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: 2012 election
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »
Yeah, 2000 and 2004 come to mind.  Anything involving Karl Rove is sleazy.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I was wondering how that came across.   I agree it is poor and condescending, and I believe it shows the anger toward the low level of attacks and debate that US presidential politics has become.  For instance, the idea that we MUST  increase taxes on everybody while decreasing spending will never be uttered by either of these two.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:23:24 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Yeah, that was the first time I saw any part of the debate. That's how it came across to me but at the moment I have no other context to frame it with. I missed the debate entirely.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
Florida has an amendment that states that if one votes "yes" to the amendment that the state of Florida will give money to religious institutions (meaning churches). I believe it'll pass but isn't that unconstitutional?

They also have an amendment to ignore Obamacare (and/or not take money from it) and one on abortion where it would force those seeking one to get ultra-sounds and make it more difficult to get an abortion in Florida.

There are 11 total state amendments; I think those are the worst ones.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +464/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
I laughed at the horses and bayonets - Romney was putting up a strawman - Romney shouldn't have done it; he got what he deserved.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
I laughed at the horses and bayonets - Romney was putting up a strawman - Romney shouldn't have done it; he got what he deserved.

This exactly.  I felt it was in deed a little condescending, but as you say Romney did open up for the comment in his unfair comparison.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
Florida has an amendment that states that if one votes "yes" to the amendment that the state of Florida will give money to religious institutions (meaning churches). I believe it'll pass but isn't that unconstitutional?

They also have an amendment to ignore Obamacare (and/or not take money from it) and one on abortion where it would force those seeking one to get ultra-sounds and make it more difficult to get an abortion in Florida.

There are 11 total state amendments; I think those are the worst ones.

-Nam
What is wrong with that state?  Are all those old people having abortions?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »

This exactly.  I felt it was in deed a little condescending, but as you say Romney did open up for the comment in his unfair comparison.
Romney set the tone in the 1st 2 debates.  He got off easy.  Obama should have taken him down and cut his hair.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
What is wrong with that state?  Are all those old people having abortions?

Nah...it's all those illegal imigrants. They are killing off future Democrat voters.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
There are illegal immigrants in Florida? Oh noes.

-Nam

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

What a condescending prick.

What fucking choice does he have?  Have you seen the way he has been treated over the last four years, and how Romney has been treating him in the last debates?  He did exactly what needed to be done.  And if that means pointing out that Romney is clueless, then so be it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »
Personally I can't wait to see ya'lls reaction after the election when they delcare Romney the winner.

The excuse is already gifted wrapped and ready to start a riot.

*creepy voice* vooooter supressiooonnnn

Cause we all know the only way a Republican becomes president is by fraud...amiright?

I have thought it through as much as I can.  I will just live with it.  If Romney gets elected, then history will be the only evidence of what he brings to the table.  After 8 years of the Bush disaster, Obama was a sigh of relief.  On the other hand, with the complete asshat conservative blockage of any and all attempts to do anything, I wish Obama had never been elected. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
I feel the same way.  This country does not deserve a president like Obama.  He brought class to a country that has reverted to a pack of hillbilly dogs. >:(

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Personally I can't wait to see ya'lls reaction after the election when they delcare Romney the winner.

The excuse is already gifted wrapped and ready to start a riot.

*creepy voice* vooooter supressiooonnnn

Cause we all know the only way a Republican becomes president is by fraud...amiright?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/third-instance-of-voter-registration-dumping-found-in-virginia/
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

What's more, I don't really see the problem in the first place with the Naval numbers.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL32665.pdf

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120328/DEFREG02/303280010/Fleet-Size-Hovers-Around-300-Ships-New-U-S-Navy-Plan

The U.S. Navy’s new 30-year shipbuilding plan for 2013 shows few unexpected changes, projecting a slightly smaller average fleet size and slightly reduced shipbuilding rate.

The plan, sent this week to Congress, projects an average fleet size through 2042 of 298 ships, a drop of seven ships from last year’s 306-ship standard. The force is projected to rise from today’s 282-ship level to 300 ships by 2019.

Ten fewer ships are scheduled to be bought over the three-decade time span, reducing last year’s 276-ship 30-year total to 268, a drop from 9.2 ships per year to 8.9.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
   One of the things about the political position towards Obama's handling of the economy that stinks the most, is the idea that Obama has put the economy where it is.  This huge bailout stopped a depression.  It sucks to use taxpayer money to save wall street, but it had to happen.   The worst thing is that a President McCain would have had to do the very same thing, and democrats would be treating him the same as the GOP treats Obama.

A good example now is the automotive industry.  Obama saved it with tax payer money - politically risky, but seems to have worked.  Romnesia favored letting the auto industry go bankrupt, that is, until he said last night he did not favor letting the auto industry to go bankrupt.  :o  Even in Ryan's debate with Biden, Biden revealed that the very same Paul  Ryan tea-partier asked Biden for taxpayer help for his Wisconsin district during the economy's melt down.  :o   The truth means nothing to Romney/Ryan.  As much as I despise what American politics has become, and I disagree with Obama on many things, I cannot understand how America can consider  Romney/Ryan serious candidates.  Hatred of Obama runs fucking deep.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
Again, the last debate may have reflected Romney's true colors.  I don't think he is as comfortable being a hard conservative as he has pretended to be in order to get the nomination.  His past does not reflect what he has done during this campaign.

He's a fraud right now, and he may be realizing it.  I'm sure I could be wrong.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
Hatred of Obama runs fucking deep.

It's a manufactured hatred.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/416068

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Garja,

Dude, that's bad. The RNC fires the company probably just to be hired by Republicans (or still employed by Republicans) in another state.

At least they were recovered.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:16:26 PM by Nam »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
Hatred of Obama runs fucking deep.

It's a manufactured hatred.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/416068

And does anyone here actually believe that anyone who supports Romney actually thinks that he is the "White Horse" of Morman prophesy?

Of coarse the hatred for Obama is manufactured...just like the hatred for Romney is manufactured. Which is why I hate the two party system. Not that I think a three or four party system would actually be any better.

It's just politics.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
Actually it's more than a 2-party system it's just the 2 main parties keep everyone else out. The debates are a good example of this.

-Nam

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
   One of the things about the political position towards Obama's handling of the economy that stinks the most, is the idea that Obama has put the economy where it is.  This huge bailout stopped a depression.  It sucks to use taxpayer money to save wall street, but it had to happen.   The worst thing is that a President McCain would have had to do the very same thing, and democrats would be treating him the same as the GOP treats Obama.

A good example now is the automotive industry.  Obama saved it with tax payer money - politically risky, but seems to have worked.  Romnesia favored letting the auto industry go bankrupt, that is, until he said last night he did not favor letting the auto industry to go bankrupt.  :o  Even in Ryan's debate with Biden, Biden revealed that the very same Paul  Ryan tea-partier asked Biden for taxpayer help for his Wisconsin district during the economy's melt down.  :o   The truth means nothing to Romney/Ryan.  As much as I despise what American politics has become, and I disagree with Obama on many things, I cannot understand how America can consider  Romney/Ryan serious candidates.  Hatred of Obama runs fucking deep.

The truth means nothing to any politician. They will say whatever they have to say to whomever they have to say it to in order to get their hands in the cooky jar.

And yes, McCain would have done the same thing and the Dems would have chastized him for it.

+1

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
Actually it's more than a 2-party system it's just the 2 main parties keep everyone else out. The debates are a good example of this.

-Nam

True.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/third-instance-of-voter-registration-dumping-found-in-virginia/

Read this if you haven't already. Disgusting!

I still don't get it...is it different from state to state? When I registered to vote (at the DMV) here in Tennessee, no one asked me if I was Republican or Democrat. It doesn't mention any affiliation on the card...did Strategic Allied Consulting ask people to register as either Democrat or Republican? Is that legal? Normal? How come no one asked me? Why doesn't my card even have a spot to identify my political leanings?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »
Mr. Blackwell,

You have to tell them. This means you are NPA (No Party Affiliate). When I registered at the DMV I told them "Independent". When I re-registered at the DMV when I renewed my license 4+ years ago, I said "Democrat".

You have to tell them. They aren't going to ask. They don't care.

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:29 AM »
The 1916 comment was utterly moronic and Obama's bayonets reply was actually pretty damned correct.
Where are the numbers of ships in 1916 http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org9-4b.htm#1910
Let's see what's on there ...
3 Monitors ... these are basically US civil war holdovers. By 1916, these were almost half a century out of date. They were utterly useless against any modern navy by the standards of the day. How many obsolete whips does the US currently have? I think some of the battleship haven't been officially decommisioned, so maybe those count?

17 Steel Gunboats ... the fact alone that they felt the need to prefix the name of this class with 'steel' should tell you something. These weren't QUITE obsolete YET but for any operations outside of the US's own territorial waters ... better have your will in order.

25 Auxiliaries ... for the most part, these were SAILING ships. Again, even by the standards of the day, they were obsolete and only good for brown water operations.

11 Gunboats ... If the Steel Gunboats were bad, these were worse. Useful only to scare unarmed civilians.

That's 56 out of the 245 ships that were obsolete (or as good as).
But then again, how much thought does Romney put into anything? He's a good public speaker but his message is somewhat lacking.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.