Author Topic: Anti-Muslim ad to appear in NYC subways  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Anti-Muslim ad to appear in NYC subways
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »
@Quesi and whoever else might be interested

Here's an interview that Bob Wright did with little homie from My Neighbourhood.

http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/11003

Thanks for the link.  I really want to see this documentary. 

On an unrelated note, just home from the emergency room with my daughter.  She is ok. 

The intake woman at the hospital asked me my religion.  It was 2 AM and I was with a sick kid and not really expecting the question.  I said "secular."  She clicked away at her computer intake form, and then I asked if they had secular on the list. 

She said "That is ok.  You don't have to tell me your religion if you don't want to." 

It is 3:45 AM and we are home, and I'm wondering which box she clicked.  I'm guessing "refused" or something like that. 

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »
@Quesi and whoever else might be interested

Here's an interview that Bob Wright did with little homie from My Neighbourhood.

http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/11003

Thanks for the link.  I really want to see this documentary. 

On an unrelated note, just home from the emergency room with my daughter.  She is ok. 

The intake woman at the hospital asked me my religion.  It was 2 AM and I was with a sick kid and not really expecting the question.  I said "secular."  She clicked away at her computer intake form, and then I asked if they had secular on the list. 

She said "That is ok.  You don't have to tell me your religion if you don't want to." 

It is 3:45 AM and we are home, and I'm wondering which box she clicked.  I'm guessing "refused" or something like that.

"None"

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »
There are Israelis who want the whole of the land.  The problem is that both sides are a vocal minority who keep the issue bubbling, interfering with any effort to accomplish anything,...

the problem is, on the israeli side, this is the party in power and the prime minister.  They support illegal settlements and reject the internationally recognized 1967 borders. 

They way your post reads, it sounds like it is an equal problem on both sides.  It isn't.  When the two groups have such unequal power, you cannot make equivalencies.  Israelis keep saying the palestinians don't actually want peace, while promoting violence themselves.   Even south africa said israel is an apartheid state.

http://www.juancole.com/2012/08/south-africa-label-west-bank-squatter-products-israel-you-apartheid-state.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/23/israel-south-africa-spar-over-apartheid/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_and_the_apartheid_analogy

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »

"None"

There you go.  Couldn't quite come up with such a reasonable answer in the emergency room at 2 AM. 

I'm still wondering what she selected from her drop down menu. 

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »

"None"

There you go.  Couldn't quite come up with such a reasonable answer in the emergency room at 2 AM.

You'd think it was reasonable, but there are no guarantees.

I went to the emergency room myself once, having cut my thumb open on a soup can lid.  The admitting nurse went thru the usual checklist, then when she got to "Religion?", I simply said, "None."  She paused, then looked up with a frown and squinted at me as though she were trying to look thru a dirty window.

"No religion...?"

I nodded.  "Yes, that's right," and didn't offer anything further, my rationale being that I was there for medical treatment, not anything else.  I was wondering whether she might pursue the matter, because I could tell she definitely wanted to.  Instead, though, she stared at me for a moment, then shrugged and went back to the checklist.  It was very unprofessional of her, of course, but then, lots of people are unprofessional -- what else is new?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
@12 Monkeys

The arab-israeli situation is a quagmire, for them of course, but also for anyone who attempts to discuss or debate it.  You generally declined to respond to my points regarding the subway poster, and instead have posed red-herring questions about resettlement or perhaps, right of return.  I attempted to answer, which I should have avoided. 

You are arguing from emotion, not reason.  I don't really care about the plight of Peoples:  Yours, mine or anyone else's.  I care about the plight of individuals.  I am against Peoples getting land based on god's say-so, as well as based on ancient or outdated claims.  Stacked up against current landholders, deeds, and sums paid, I don't give a rat's ass about anyone's spurious claims based on history, religion or nebulous rights.  So for me, human rights and the rule of law will always trump all other so-called rights and claims.

@ Quesi
I could answer some of your points, get too snarky about you seemingly intentionally misunderstanding my comments about individual compensation, or my crazy conspiracy theory, but again, I would only be engaging in a back and forth that will go on far too long.

If you wish to understand what I've tried to say, please realize that I try to be pragmatic.  The right and wrong of Israel for instance is immaterial to me.  It exists.  It will not disappear except by force.  The UN cannot un-mandate it, and if they could, it would be ignored.  The jews will not relinquish it.
so a conquered group of individuals should just STFU and accept they are conquered?  Germany and Japan were conquered,,,,,but somehow they still exist....OK... I understand because you are comfy with your life tipping the apple-cart would disrupt your life,why do you think Israel has the right to exist and the right to steal land?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »
BTW the Ad is disgusting because it suggests that the Israeli side is human and the other side(be it Muslim or Palestinian)  is subhuman....Believe me as a first nations person being called subhuman or "savage" kind of wears on you
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
so a conquered group of individuals should just STFU and accept they are conquered?  Germany and Japan were conquered,,,,,but somehow they still exist....OK... I understand because you are comfy with your life tipping the apple-cart would disrupt your life,why do you think Israel has the right to exist and the right to steal land?

We're done

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »
BTW the Ad is disgusting because it suggests that the Israeli side is human and the other side(be it Muslim or Palestinian)  is subhuman....Believe me as a first nations person being called subhuman or "savage" kind of wears on you

The only part of that ad that I agree with is " defeat jihad"
I think that any people that kill other groups of people merely because they
do not believe in their particular sky fairy, are savages.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

We're done
does this mean the Jihadist's have won?

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »

Depends on which side's jihad you talking about..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #185 on: October 05, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
Some Christians are worthy of my respect.

The United Methodist Women put up this sign, alongside the sign in the op. 

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »

We're done

[face palm]