Author Topic: Ignore the facts, believe the promises  (Read 811 times)

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Ignore the facts, believe the promises
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
Yesterday, a Christian aquaintance of mine posted a FB link to a sermon with the following text: "Are u going to believe the facts, or the Promises ? NEVER let the facts override the Promises ! : ) Awesome teaching!"

The sermon's about Sarah, a 65-year-old barren woman to whom god promises a son. Of course, she doubts. Of course, she conceives anyway--when she's 90. The point is, the preacher says, we shouldn't be using our "human perspective" to discern god's miracles. If you're locked into the facts, you're locked into the natural. If you pay too much attention to the facts, you can't move to the supernatural, which can only be attained through faith.

Sort of a built-in argument against ANY natural fact or evidence. How can you possibly get through that wall of unreason? How can anyone expect to talk sense to anyone who says, "Ignore facts. Ignore your perception. Believe the *unsubstantiated* promises."

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/the-alternative/listen/sarah-the-doubter-god-used-part-2-295037.html

There's a free registration if you want to trouble to listen to the sermon.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Ignore the facts, believe the promises
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
I'm sure if the church were handing out loans they might see things differently.

"Yea I'll pay you back on this loan for a million dollars.  Nevermind that I have a history of not paying back a penny on loans.  Those are just pesky facts but I promise to pay back this loan.  You just gotta have faith that God will somehow give me a million dollars to pay back this loan."
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
No wonder most Christians are Republicans.  Those facts keep getting in the way...you know climate change, political claims, etc.  FOX News could not exist if they had to rely on facts.  Ignore the man behind the curtain...just keep believing.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
Sort of a built-in argument against ANY natural fact or evidence. How can you possibly get through that wall of unreason? How can anyone expect to talk sense to anyone who says, "Ignore facts. Ignore your perception. Believe the *unsubstantiated* promises."

The same problem exists in politics.

It's a nice synthetic blend of "trust your leaders"
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
Actually, that bit about loans would be an effective way to torpedo the whole line of 'reasoning'.  None of those people giving sermons would be too eager to give out a huge loan to someone based on promises of repayment, especially if the facts didn't support it.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »
NEVER let the facts override the Promises !

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
Actually, that bit about loans would be an effective way to torpedo the whole line of 'reasoning'.  None of those people giving sermons would be too eager to give out a huge loan to someone based on promises of repayment, especially if the facts didn't support it.

Except the "promises" are from God.  Humans can't meet that standard!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:52 AM »
How can you possibly get through that wall of unreason?

Love that line.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +383/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »
This makes me think of The Tick:
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick - rational thinking - but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!"
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/