Author Topic: no capitulation, you might as well be in a church/temple/synagogue/mosque  (Read 465 times)

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
no capitulation when refuting religion, you might as well be in a temple/church/synagogue/mosques if you can't fight against it.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Re: no capitulation, you might as well be in a church/temple/synagogue/mosque
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
Ah.  This is obviously some strange new definition of "no capitulation" that I wasn't previously aware of.

The fact is that we can and do fight against religion, either by overt antitheistic activism, by refusing to participate in religiously-themed events, or by quietly going on with our lives and being who we want to be (rather than how a religion and its leaders want us to be).

Doubts persist in all cultures in all generations, and rather than caving in to the tyranny of the majority I'd prefer to be visible and noisy so that the doubters don't feel so alone.

And I simply couldn't live with Myself if I attended a church/shul/mosque/woo-woo pagan circle just to avoid making waves.  Waves are wonderful, especially when they splash new and refreshing truths over reality-parched cultures.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
We have a "no capitulation" situation in Congress right now.

Honestly, do you think the political situation is better than it was, say, 20 years ago, when there was a more accommodating atmosphere?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
My apologies, None -- I was working off the title of your post and missed the "...when refuting religion" part of your text.  I'd like to amend My response to say that we're in agreement on this, and that we should fight back rather than caving in.

Jaimehlers also raises an interesting point with the comment about Congress -- At what point does asserting and refuting start to become counterproductive and degenerate into mere argument and circling wagons, rather than moving our culture forward?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
My apologies, None -- I was working off the title of your post and missed the "...when refuting religion" part of your text.  I'd like to amend My response to say that we're in agreement on this, and that we should fight back rather than caving in.

Jaimehlers also raises an interesting point with the comment about Congress -- At what point does asserting and refuting start to become counterproductive and degenerate into mere argument and circling wagons, rather than moving our culture forward?
In my opinion they already have "the wagons circled" and I am surrounded.