Author Topic: Not one contradiction to be found in the Bible  (Read 363 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +562/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Not one contradiction to be found in the Bible
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »

This might be the only game show I would actually turn on the TV for, just to contextualize the verbal diarrhea spewed by raging theists afterward.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Not one contradiction to be found in the Bible
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
Haha, found that pretty funny! Added that one to my YouTube favourites. Thanks for the share One.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:39:13 AM by Emma286 »

Offline vundarosa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »
Very funny indeed.

I for one try that Xtians agree on what a contradiction is before we even remotely get into a discussion if *that* is a contradiction or not. Xtians have very much shown that they can spin doctor and explain away even what is somehow obvious.

vundarosa

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »
Xtians have very much shown that they can spin doctor and explain away even what is somehow obvious.

Well certainly.  Those that do such mental gymnastics tend to be the ones that more or less subscribe to the infallibility of the bible either axiomatically or as a direct, unavoidable consequence of another axiom[1].  Those that do not engage in such cognitive kung foolery are happy with the existence of contradiction, easily chalking it up to the sloppy authorship of the fallible humans putting the words to paper[2].

With the axiomatic premise 'the bible is infallible' at the helm, coupled with the axiom "god's smartness is immeasurably better than human smartness to the point of understanding truths that are utterly incomprehensible to people," automatically dismisses any and all contradictions as either a) not actually contradictions based upon proper understanding irrespective of whether or not anyone besides god has the proper understanding (i.e. "god's ways are not our ways") or b) the contradiction serves a legitimate purpose for humans to understand god (i.e. "god works in mysterious ways" e.g. divine mysteries like the Trinity).

If you can get them to question those axiomatically accepted premises, let me know.  Near as I can tell that is an impossible feat.  One eventually gets to the 'faith' thing and all communication starts approaching 'going to shit'.
 1. e.g. infallible god himself wrote the bible, or 'inspired' the bible in a way that seems precisely the same as saying he wrote the bible but without the pesky questions regarding method of authorship)
 2. Human authors 'inspired' by god independent of any actual definition or explanation of what 'inspire' means.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/