Author Topic: Can't quite figure this one out  (Read 539 times)

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Can't quite figure this one out
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
I seem to be on a none stop search for information about science, anti theist videos (a lot), I'm obsessed, debates, Hitchens, Harris and things like thethinkingathiest, phillhellenes videos and more. I'm addicted, but the question is; what am I searching for?

I had a catholic upbringing, schools, sunday school that sort of thing. It's not that serious in the UK than seems to be in other places. Creationism was pushed on us for years before we got a physics lesson, maybe this has something to do with it?

Over to you
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Can't quite figure this one out
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
you are searching for the answer.
eventually in my opinion that question will become how can I help mankind.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
Ive dealt with similar addiction, the need to constantly take in new ideas and increasingly powerful information straight into my bloodstream.  From Huffing-Hitch, to Chasing the Dawkins - uncut, pure - it can be difficult to know what you are really looking for.

Honestly, I think for me it was both just wanting to really understand my belief system, and (admittedly) partially to get over fear of hell.  I wanted not only information, but I wanted to be damn sure that religion was ridiculous before I cut all ties. 
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
^feel like contacting old friends and showing them the way yet?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
You are searching for proof that God, however you imagine it, does not exist.

You wont' find it but that's okay. You will find knowledge and wisdom.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
There is no eternal life (after death) is the first thing you need to accept and deal with...

Search on brother...
And take your time...
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Nickolas

• Freshman
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »
Catholicism can mess you up but you are likely just searching for the same thing the rest of us are, G. Truth, maybe? What's real and what isn't? Some perceive truth in a razor sharp focus - for example as on a single sacred book (pick one) dictated or inspired by the Creator of the universe.  All questions are already answered. And then there are those who ponder truth within impossible contexts, as in the unfolding of the uncreated universe.  The saved enjoy a clear and simple understanding of reality. They are different from you (judging by your post) insofar as they safeguard their understanding of reality against change while you search to shatter yours by achieving an understanding that's higher still. It is why you search. Am I making sense? Certainty vs wonder. What you are experiencing is uncertainty fostering a thirst for knowledge - which if you are fortunate will remain unquenched until the day you die. It is normal in those with the ability to think. Welcome to the zeitgeist.
I can live with questions I cannot answer, but I cannot live with questions I cannot ask.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »
^feel like contacting old friends and showing them the way yet?

Absolutely.  Luckily one of my best friends was already an atheist, and my literal best friend since birth deconverted at the same time so we have someone to talk to about how dumb believers are (and by proxy, how dumb we were for 3 decades).  Hes pretty bitter that his parents were of the "go to church 3 times a week, cant celebrate Halloween, nut job" lot, and his younger brother is a preacher.  I keep trying to get him to join this site, but he keeps dragging his feet.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies. It makes a lot of sense what you guys are saying. I think I'm close to finding answers and I think a lot of the answers lie in M theory and multiverse theory.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
Thanks for your replies. It makes a lot of sense what you guys are saying. I think I'm close to finding answers and I think a lot of the answers lie in M theory and multiverse theory.
I wouldn't go there, it is my understanding that multi-verses are related to some type of manifold and they are all connected; this doesn't seem to contradict all of existence being a single unit.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
Read The God Delusion if you haven't already.  Also, Letter to a Christian Nation.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
^ aye.  Letter to a Christian Nation is awesome, and frankly, quite short.  You can easily cook though it in a few hours.  The God Delusion is also very good, but considerably more long-form... and for me anyway; sometimes gets a little caught up in the details that dont seem to matter much, but still a very good book.

-Benjamin Franklin