Author Topic: The main reason Obama has my vote...  (Read 4639 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
Re: The main reason Obama has my vote...
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
Gore went into that election with every conceivable advantage,

I'm not one to be sympathetic to whining about the media, but the media hated and continues to hate Al Gore.  The whole "he claims to have invented the internet" thing caught on because the media uncritically printed whatever the repubs fed them.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/09/blast-past-media-vs-al-gore

http://consortiumnews.com/2000/020100a.html

http://the-reaction.blogspot.com/2012/07/will-us-media-ever-admit-al-gore-was.html

Whatever advantages he may have had, having the media virtually unanimously against him nullified them.  And Naderites didn't help.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »

but the media hated and continues to hate Al Gore. 

As do I. The man made political moves using Tipper's manufactured outrage at rock and roll, and thus created political capital out of censorship. I will never forgive him for that. While I may agree with some of what comes out of his mouth, he has completely broken any possible trust I might have had for him.

Fuck Al Gore.

Signed, Naderite.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:45:34 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +538/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
Screwtape is right.  The media, in order to avoid getting labeled as "liberal" and losing market share, are much less likely to question info they get from Republicans.  It's been that way since I can easily remember.

And I'm not fond of Nader.  I don't blame the 2000 presidential loss on him (he was at best a minor factor; there were several other factors involved), but the man is not competent when it comes to running for election.  The guy practically defines the term "also-ran", having failed miserably in six successive presidential elections.  I think he'd do better focusing on the activism that he's shown a talent for, rather than trying to run for political office again and again, and failing again and again.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
As do I. The man made political moves using Tipper's manufactured outrage at rock and roll, and thus created political capital out of censorship. I will never forgive him for that. While I may agree with some of what comes out of his mouth, he has completely broken any possible trust I might have had for him.

Fuck Al Gore.

Signed, Naderite.

You're right.  George W Bush was a much better alternative. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
You're right.  George W Bush was a much better alternative.

No, I hate them both. In retrospect I suppose the slimeball of shit Gore would have been better than the thieving moron Bush.

I may have even felt forced to vote for Gore if I were in a swing state, but in Maryland I got to vote for someone better than that scumbag. I loved Clinton, but I could never understood why he chose with a lizard like Gore as a running mate.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Hatter.  ;)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Hatter Hater;)

corrected?

Just teasing, Hatter.  I'd put a winky-thing in my post if I believed in using the the stupid yellow faces to communicate.   I still have love for you, man. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +538/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
The problem is, I think Gore tried to reinvent himself once he was on the national stage.  Didn't work so well.  Once he stopped trying, he came across much more reasonably.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
Plus Clinton had to or wanted to keep a low profile because of the mess he got himself into.  If Clinton had been "clean" and working to campain for Gore I think he would have won easily.  Sh*t, Gore did not even carry his home state (Tenn>) which would have given him the 270 he needed.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »

corrected?

Just teasing, Hatter.  I'd put a winky-thing in my post if I believed in using the the stupid yellow faces to communicate.   I still have love for you, man.

Did...... Did you just call me stupid Screwtape?    jk
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »

corrected?

Being a Dead Kennedys fan, I suppose I'm a little bit close to the problem.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
I'm not a DK fan.  It is not that I dislike them, I have just never listened to them.  So, I don't know what that last post means.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
I'm not a DK fan.  It is not that I dislike them, I have just never listened to them.  So, I don't know what that last post means.

They were the first target of Tipper's law in the courtroom...targeted particularly because they weren't a big corporation, but on an small punk label as "cost effective" measure.