Author Topic: Virgin Snakes  (Read 712 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Virgin Snakes
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
Researchers in the US caught pregnant females from two snake species and genetically analysed the litters.

That proved the North American pit-vipers reproduced without a male, a phenomenon called facultative parthenogenesis that has previously been found only in captive species.

Scientists say the findings could change our understanding of animal reproduction and vertebrate evolution.

Continue reading the main story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19555550

Oh, I know that there is a joke in here somewhere...I just can't find it. 

Either that, or more proof that the end of days is near. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: Virgin Snakes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
I bet that talking  snake that tricked Eve to get Adam to eat that damn apple reproduced that way.  Damn demon snakes.  Maybe that is how Mary did it also.  "Hey Joseph, no, no, I was not with another man...it just happened". ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
I view this as confirmation bias

I have long held the belief that snakes should just go fuck themselves.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
I bet that talking  snake that tricked Eve to get Adam to eat that damn apple reproduced that way.  Damn demon snakes.  Maybe that is how Mary did it also.  "Hey Joseph, no, no, I was not with another man...it just happened". ;)

You mean that the Garden of Eden snake was a FEMALE snake?  This is bad. 

I view this as confirmation bias

I have long held the belief that snakes should just go fuck themselves.

And apparently they do!  Some of them, at least. 

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
    That parthenogenesis takes place in some vertebrates is not a new discovery. Despite what the article says there are more than a few animal species that reproduce naturally by parthenogenesis, mostly Whiptail lizards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis#Reptiles
Edit: Getting my facts straight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
I heard, once, that it was very occasionally seen in chickens; that you might find a fertilized egg from a hen in a facility which had no roosters. Don't know whether that is true, or whether it would produce a viable chick, but I thought it was interesting anyway. I think I was in high school or thereabouts.

It sort of coincided with the time that I was trying to sort out whether I was really supposed to believe Bible stories, since I had always sort of lumped them together with fairytales & mythology in my mind as a kid, and was finding the realization that adults took them as absolute truth somewhat perplexing. The idea that maybe once in many billion there might be a scientific reason a virgin could conceive appealed to me on that level.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:05 AM »
I heard, once, that it was very occasionally seen in chickens; that you might find a fertilized egg from a hen in a facility which had no roosters. Don't know whether that is true, or whether it would produce a viable chick, but I thought it was interesting anyway. I think I was in high school or thereabouts.

I remember when I was a kid, we would occasionally break an egg open and find that it was fertilized.  I'm not sure if these were in fact from facilities that had no roosters, or if it was just in the era before the very structured poultry farms.  Or maybe my parents bought farm eggs.  I really don't know. 

Honestly, as a young kid, I remember thinking about the fertilized eggs as a way to form my personal views on abortion.  When I was helping my mom in the kitchen, and we cracked an egg open and it had the red streaks in it, the question was, "is it an egg, or is it a chicken?"  And at about 8 or 9 years old, I concluded that a fertilized egg was an egg.  Not a baby chicken.  Not a human baby.  Just a fertilized egg.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »
Honestly, as a young kid, I remember thinking about the fertilized eggs as a way to form my personal views on abortion.  When I was helping my mom in the kitchen, and we cracked an egg open and it had the red streaks in it, the question was, "is it an egg, or is it a chicken?"  And at about 8 or 9 years old, I concluded that a fertilized egg was an egg.  Not a baby chicken.  Not a human baby.  Just a fertilized egg.

I agree.  I've never really understood the pro-life view that conception means that you instantly have a human being.  I mean, following that logic, you would have to call this an oak tree, wouldn't you?

[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +681/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
^ It's an oak tree if it has the soul of an oak tree.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.