Author Topic: Egyptian protesters scale US Embassy wall in Cairo  (Read 2146 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Egyptian protesters scale US Embassy wall in Cairo
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
update from Juan Cole

http://www.juancole.com/2012/09/romney-jumps-the-shark-libya-egypt-and-the-butterfly-effect.html

The storm provoked by this butterfly has revealed character on an international scale. The steely determination of an Obama to achieve justice, the embarrassing grandstanding of a Romney, the destructive hatred of a handful of extremists in Cairo and Benghazi, and the decency and warmth toward the US of the Libyan crowds, all were thrown into stark relief by the beating of the butterfly’s wings.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
Why in the world he was in an insecure minor consulate in a provincial city on September 11 is a mystery to me.

I heard that Canada had recalled their ambassadors from Iran last week. Didn't catch why. Does Canada have an embassy in these other two places and did they pull them as well?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
They brought their people home from Iran because of their continued persuit of a nuke.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
Several postings on other sites have expressed "freedom of speech" for the nutty Christians who have stirred up the Muslims.  I always thought you could not go into a movie and yell fire.  Freedom of speech has limits when others are hurt or killed.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
^

rude pundit from 2 years ago about the same guy (extremist preacher dickhead from florida) still applies

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,15575.msg351822.html#msg351822

Yes, they are assholes for baiting muslims.  And yes, muslims are assholes for their infantile response.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
Now the nuts that started this knowing full well what they were doing are asking for police protection.  Now taxpayers get to protect them for being stupid.  Too bad they did not have that kind of concern for those who lives are gone and will be gone before all this settles down.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »
Guys, guys, chill out, remember Islam is a religion of peace. See how they're peacefully burning flags and rioting and looting?

I'd let these guys look after my small children.[1] So no need to worry, it's all so peaceful out in the Middle East most people will just sleep through it.
 1. If indeed I HAD children...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:45 AM »
I know religion is a big part of this but there are other reasons as well.  Unemployment is so high in these countries.  I guess that is why so many can spend 24 hrs. on the streets protesting.  Have and have nots...thats the problem and its only going to get worse.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »
I wish Romney was the president now so he could direct us to the solution.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
I wish Romney was the president now so he could direct us to the solution.
He would say, "Now you stop that.  America is an exceptional nation and you should look up to us".  Problem solved.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »
He would say, "Now you stop that.  America is an exceptional nation and you should look up to us".  Problem solved.

When do the bombs come into play? When they tell Romney to fuck off?

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
Several postings on other sites have expressed "freedom of speech" for the nutty Christians who have stirred up the Muslims.  I always thought you could not go into a movie and yell fire.  Freedom of speech has limits when others are hurt or killed.

The restrictions apply to situations where the danger of panic or riot is imminent.

That doesn't apply here. In this case:

1. Person A in the US said something on the internet.
2. Ten weeks later, and ten thousand miles away, person B killed person C in a riot.

That's no reason to censor A, nor to hold him responsible for C's death.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:32:21 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
One of the things about the middle east is the hatred/oil/fucked up lip service behind the scenes. The ambassador to Libya was told by friends, “probably shouldn’t go back – not safe enough, but he felt ( I believe sincerely – but it could be the hatred/oil/fucked up lip service behind the scenes – that he owed it to the people of Libya.

So the entire world wants to come to the states to be free to fucking SAFELY worship the [ insert the latest hatred/oil/fucked up lip service religion here], but yet the latest hatred/oil/fucked up lip service religion goes batshit against the states with bombs, stones, burning effigys of Obama – man are these muslims in the dark -  death, etc. etc. 

I remember while we were leveling fields to irrigate farmers vegetables we were being accused by the still-apartheid-South-African government, of being spies.  If only the world loved truth more than they love hatred.

Would have been nice to see the world as an american at one time.  The US tries to install democracy in Iraq, then leaves – tries to install democracy in Afghanistan, now beginning to leave – so the middle east hates Obama even more. Do you think it could fucking be so Afghanistan becomes a stable fucking place on earth?  Fucked up hatred/oil/fucked up lip service behind the fucking religious fucking scenes.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
Sorry. :-[
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
I know religion is a big part of this but there are other reasons as well.  Unemployment is so high in these countries.  I guess that is why so many can spend 24 hrs. on the streets protesting.  Have and have nots...thats the problem and its only going to get worse.

But they've just gone nuts in Sydney as well. Bunch of animals.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/smartphone/article.aspx?id=8533359&mch=mobilenh&mchpost=tabloid
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
This is all instigation (both sides/extremists), trickery, politics, playing with peoples emotions/loyalties and the ends results have warfare as the goal...

Makes it very difficult having to deal with ignorance fanned by bigotry.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »

But they've just gone nuts in Sydney as well. Bunch of animals.

I expect this shit in the middle east where 'freedom of speech' is a bit of a new concept, but didn't expect it out of Oz.  Guess we all have our share of ignorant assholes.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Although that "innocence of Muslims" was an amateurish film that looked more
like something from Saturday Night Live, it accurately depicted what is actually
in their holy book. I guess that they do not like the truth any more than Christians
like what is in their Old Testament.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard