Author Topic: Egyptian protesters scale US Embassy wall in Cairo  (Read 2044 times)

Offline shnozzola

Egyptian protesters scale US Embassy wall in Cairo
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
Dozens of protesters then scaled the embassy walls, and several went into the courtyard and took down the flag from a pole. They brought it back to the crowd outside, which tried to burn it, but failing that tore it apart. The protesters on the wall then raised on the flagpole a black flag with a Muslim declaration of faith, "There is no god but God and Muhammad is his prophet." The flag, similar to the banner used by al-Qaida, is commonly used by ultraconservatives around the region.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Egyptian-protesters-scale-US-Embassy-wall-in-Cairo-3856652.php

What scares me most about these "damn sure I'm right" crazy Muslims is how these acts make the "damn sure I'm right" christians start loading their bazookas, and my family and I are caught in the middle, bicycling out for pizza.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Egyptian protesters scale US Embassy wall in Cairo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
Caught in the middle, bicycling for pizza?

I'm not following.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
I read earlier that they are upset over that preacher in Florida who burned the Koran last year.  I guess he is now wanting to put Moham Boy on trail and have it on the net.  These Christians sure know how to push buttons and get the Muslims all worked up.  Guess they don't care that it also gets people killed.  They are too busy adopting embryos.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
I'm not following.

We who are enjoying life get killed by the religious zealots out to kill each other to prove their religion is the true one.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
Not only did they scale the wall in Cairo, in a separate incident in Benghazi, Muslim protestors killed the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, and three other people.

I know we focus on Christianity a lot on this board, because many of us are in America and are used to Christian hegemony in American culture and politics. But I don't believe there is any room in a civilized world for a religion that is so insecure that it must kill people who have the temerity and unmitigated gall to criticize its imaginary god and magical prophet.

Muslims, you're a part of the human race. You're not immune from human criticism. It doesn't matter how "right" you think you are--you don't have the right to kill in the name of protecting your religion from films, books, or art that says something you don't agree with.

Get with the 21st century.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
Animals.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:29 AM »
I am not sure why the muslim response is always infantile.  Is the culture violent and intolerant because of the religion, or is the religion violent and intolerant because of the culture? 

I once hypothesized it was because of their religious domestic policy - if your wife disagrees with you, try to discuss it.  Then, just beat her until she shuts up.  If the family is the foundation of a society, and violence is the foundation of the family, then society must be inherently violent and intolerant of dissent.

Either way, islamic cultures suck and I have no idea how to solve it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
I am not sure why the muslim response is always infantile.  Is the culture violent and intolerant because of the religion, or is the religion violent and intolerant because of the culture? 

I once hypothesized it was because of their religious domestic policy - if your wife disagrees with you, try to discuss it.  Then, just beat her until she shuts up.  If the family is the foundation of a society, and violence is the foundation of the family, then society must be inherently violent and intolerant of dissent.

I take care of soldiers going and returning from overseas. I remember a converstaion with one back in 2006. We were discussing the Iraqis behaviors, his statement I will always remember cause  his statement was as a fact and not as a bias opinion. He said " they are still barbarians." And the answer still is
islamic cultures suck and I have no idea how to solve it.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Isn't religion grand !!!  Killing people over a film/cartoon/etc., killing Dr. Tiller (abortion doctor), controlling women, social unrest, and on and on and on.

And they want to present atheists as evil??? >:(

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »

I take care of soldiers going and returning from overseas. I remember a converstaion with one back in 2006. We were discussing the Iraqis behaviors, his statement I will always remember cause  his statement was as a fact and not as a bias opinion. He said " they are still barbarians." And the answer still is
islamic cultures suck and I have no idea how to solve it.
Barbarians took over Rome.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
I wonder why they don't get upset at "Draw Mo Day" each year?  You know if every Western country did a Mo Man thing all at once they would not know who to attack.  Overwhelm them and stop this nonsense.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »
Know Allah's mercy or die!

WTF?

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »
   Islam is one powerful meme.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »
This is the video which they were complaining about.

It purports to be a trailer for a film, but it appears to be just scenes from several other films and overdubbed.

Interesting also that it's been on Youtube since July 2nd.

According to this article, the film (though it's not clear whether a a full film exists, or just these 'trailers') was promoted by Pastor Terry Jones of ‘burn the Quran’ fame - but he may just be jumping on the bandwagon.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:01:37 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Just everybody remember - none of these animals are delusional ...

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
LOL.

Let it go, HAL. Else I'll be labelling you obsessional.

Or is it obsessive?  8)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »
LOL.

Let it go, HAL. Else I'll be labelling you obsessional.

Or is it obsessive?  8)

Man, I sure hope, since you posted that video, that your personal information is secure ...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Interesting also that it's been on Youtube since July 2nd.

According to middle east professor, Juan Cole, the islamists chose to make a big deal of it now because they did so poorly in the elections.  This is their way of forcing people to side with them.

http://www.juancole.com/2012/09/romney-poses-as-militants-burn-benghazi-consulate-killing-one-demonstrate-in-cairo-over-islamophobic-film.html

The victory in the Libyan elections of nationalist rather than fundamentalist forces, and the rise to power in Egypt of the relatively moderate Muslim Brotherhood has marginalized the militant strain of Muslim activism, known coloquially as ‘jihadis’ because of their emphasis on vigilante violence. The vigilante fundamentalists were small but dangerous groups in Muammar Qaddafi’s Libya and in Hosni Mubarak’s Egypt, and both governments reacted by attacking them and arbitrarily imprisoning them.

The vigilante fundamentalists typically reject elections and democracy, as inauthentic Western imports, and they are headline whores, plotting out attention-grabbing mob actions. These jihadis are tiny groups in Egypt and Libya, though sometimes well-armed and well-trained.

One way the fundamentalist vigilantes can hope to combat their marginalization and political irrelevance in the wake of the Arab Spring is to manufacture a controversy that forces people to side with them. I suspect that is what they were doing in Egypt and Libya, in front of the US embassy in Cairo and at the rump consulate in Benghazi.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
Interesting, Screw.

One thing I noticed was this quote:
The pretext for the demonstrations/ attacks was a youtube film by Muslim-hater Sam Bacile, an Israeli-American ‘produced’ by provocateur Rev. Terry Jones, he of the Qur’an-burning fame.

I'm wondering why he put produced in inverted commas. Are those scare-quotes, or a genuine quotation, or what? 

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
USAToday is reporting that the whole thing was planned days in advance, and that a sect of hard-line Islamists whipped the crowd into a frenzy. According to the report, the movie was incidental.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012/09/12/obama-tightens-security-after-diplomats-killed-in-libya/57752828/1

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
dunno.  I am not sure what the full story of the movie is.  I have heard there was a movie and I have heard there was only a trailer for a movie.  So whether it was produced or 'produced' or "produced" is unknown to me.

I'd guess ' = ".  but why use them at all unless it was to somehow suggest crazy preacher guy didn't produce it as one would normally expect? 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
Who knows what it says on the Arabic signs, but the English ones are pretty interesting. IMGUR album of a Benghazi protest against the killings.

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »
Who knows what it says on the Arabic signs, but the English ones are pretty interesting. IMGUR album of a Benghazi protest against the killings.

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

It's one thing to see these signs in support of a peaceful people, who condemn the killers.  But when will they bring these people to some serious justice?  I fear that these "peaceful" Muslims are too afraid to follow through with real action that will have an impact on the fundies.

I'm sick thinking about this killing.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
I'm trying to read pastor Terry Jones website but it's crashed out. Go figure.  :)

http://www.doveworld.org/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
You know, I wish it weren't so difficult to tell the American Christians how fucked up religion is at times like these.  They just blame the "Muslims" and their religion, and cannot clearly see how theirs is in no way any better.  They want to act like Christians are better (tell that to Tiller's family, and all of the victims of the Crusades).

I think that Terry Jones is a class A asshat, as well as the dumbass who made that film.  But I support their right to speak out, and I support their freedom to ridicule Muhammed.  As mean as some of the atheists in this country can be, I see more hatred and disgusting behavior from believers across the board.

And to top it off, none of them can wait until the whole world is wiped out by their apocalyptic bullshit.

Fuck Jesus and Muhammed. 

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
Fuck Jesus and Muhammed.

Both Muhammad
And Christ would lay
Your body down
To a tune
So wild international
In the desert
Full of bullets
Let your body rot

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:04 AM »
As far as I can see this site: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/09/12/161003427/what-we-know-about-sam-bacile-the-man-behind-the-muhammad-movie has the best information about the movie and its maker.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »
This morning I see protests at our embassy in Yemen.  Looks like this thing is going to spread like it did with the Demmark cartoons.  Again, isn't religion grand!!!