Author Topic: Hero  (Read 111 times)

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-1
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »
These guys are entertaining:

but this is what a real hero looks like:

ISIS militants held Mueller and the witness in a room with two other Yazidi teenagers and repeatedly abused all four girls. When al-Baghdadi was around, he would take Mueller to his room, the Yazidi teen said, and the hostage would then tell her fellow captives what he had done to her.

Mueller tried to shield the girls from the terrorists’ abuse and violence, sometimes putting their lives before hers. When the Yazidi girl escaped with her sister, she asked the American to join them, US officials relayed. Yet Mueller refused out of fear that her foreign appearance would put them in danger.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +557/-128
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: Hero
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Read about that this afternoon. The guy uses one line from the Quran that he interprets that allows him to rape women in the name of his god.

See, since she's not a "believer" (Muslim) they interpret that as their god giving them permission to rape unbelievers.

Twisted minds who interpret that way.

"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
The contrast between Ms. Mueller's morality and her abusers couldn't be more striking. In a situation as close to the fundie version of hell as real life can get, she did not turn her back on her sister prisoners, but aided them as she could. She attained moral heights those who raped her probably can't comprehend.

Like Willie in his other thread here, "Monsters", I wonder about how these people get that way. Intellectually I understand the likely process: their culture's background misogyny, the reinforcement of their religion, that many of them were themselves abused and brutalized in various ways, the classic methods cults use to enforce unswerving loyalty. But I wonder about those who might still have or develop pangs of conscience, doubts about their declared goal and the things they find themselves doing to achieve it.

I'm sure anyone actually acting on such realizations would be swiftly and viciously dealt with by the cult leadership. Still, I wonder about the rate of PTSD in ISIS fighters and similar organizations. Such extreme acts, roundly condemned by virtually everyone but your identified group / cult, must have consequences for people who aren't true psychopaths... at least, I'd like to think so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:14:18 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius