Author Topic: ABC portrayal of Atheist  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: ABC portrayal of Atheist
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »
Atheist circle-jerk: The thread.

He's an agnostic, so he's superior to us.

I don't remember saying I was an agnostic though.

If you are not in the circle, what are you here for-- to watch? Yech.  :P

Why I'm here to study wild atheists in their natural habitat.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1409/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Atheist circle-jerk: The thread.

He's an agnostic, so he's superior to us.

I don't remember saying I was an agnostic though.

If you are not in the circle, what are you here for-- to watch? Yech.  :P

Why I'm here to study wild atheists in their natural habitat.

Like I said. To watch. Not to contribute. You are dead to me.  :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »

Oh, OK.

I'm still waiting for someone here to explain logically and rationally why they think a negative portrayal of an atheist = all atheists are bad.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +295/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
^^^I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't believe you. In fact, I'm done with your BS as well. Have a nice visit Marvin, I'm putting you on ignore too.
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +234/-1
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »
Good move, Jag. He's not worth talking to!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »

Oh, OK.

I'm still waiting for someone here to explain logically and rationally why they think a negative portrayal of an atheist = all atheists are bad.

Idiot: the actor portraying an atheist is a representation and since it didn't state in the beginning or end of the program "this isn't a true representation of an atheist just an interpretation" then one watching it would conclude that it in fact is a true representation of an atheist because most people are gullible like that.

-Nam
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:33:05 AM by Nam »
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
^^^I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't believe you. In fact, I'm done with your BS as well. Have a nice visit Marvin, I'm putting you on ignore too.

Enjoy your echo chamber.

Quote from: Nam
Idiot: the actor portraying an atheist is a representation and since it didn't state in the beginning or end of the program "this isn't a true representation of an atheist just an interpretation" then one watching it would conclude that it in fact is a true representation of an atheist because most people are gullible like that.

That's some fascinating logic. 

Chinese people didn't interpret this video as "all chinese people are like that".  So why do atheists with severe persecution complexes interpret it that way?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
How do you know all Chinese people didn't interpret it that way? Did you poll every single one of them? Of course not. Stop talking out of your ass. And just to be clear: I'm not saying all Chinese people do or do not think one way or the other but by your comment, which seems prejudiced, you seem to be of the delusion that all Chinese people are atheists.

-Nam

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 03:46:50 AM »
How do you know all Chinese people didn't interpret it that way? Did you poll every single one of them? Of course not. Stop talking out of your ass. And just to be clear: I'm not saying all Chinese people do or do not think one way or the other but by your comment, which seems prejudiced, you seem to be of the delusion that all Chinese people are atheists.

-Nam

Ok, so let me get this right.

When ABC portrays an atheist negatively, they mean "all atheists are like that".
When I say "chinese people don't X", I mean to say "all chinese people don't X".
When you say "Christians are X", you really only mean "Some Christians are X".

This is like those people who go "die cis scum" and then later say "but I only meant the bad ones!"

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:08 AM »
You really do have a comprehension problem, don't you? Have fun trolling.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1409/-9
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Some people will only "discover" what they already know. They do not want to learn. Learning hurts.

Atheists are bad people when compared to religious folks. They are mean, whiny, selfish, immoral, arrogant losers and worship themselves. Post cute one-liner memes as if that provides support for anything. Exchange verbal insults with prickly strangers on internet forums and act as if those strangers are a random sample of all atheists.

Ignore any evidence contrary to your assumption that atheists are worse than religious people. Like the fact that there are entire perfectly nice countries were hardly anyone believes in any gods or practices any religion. Canada, Japan and many western European countries like Denmark and Sweden are largely secular and yet, somehow, manage not to be horrible oppressive dictatorships or crime-infested hellholes. 

Ignore the fact that US atheists are largely indistinguishable from religious folks on most every social indicator-- except where US atheists have lower levels of many social ills, more education, etc. Many atheists (myself included) pretend to be religious from time to time to keep the peace in the family, at work, etc. And nobody can tell we do not really believe.   No godly neon warning sign flashes above our heads when we walk into a place of worship to fake belief for a holiday service. The atheism does not show up like an ugly skin rash.[1]

It is like the way people who are racist always manage to find support for what they already think. Back in the day, researchers "discovered" that black people did more poorly than whites on intelligence tests. They decided it had to be a natural inborn defect, since there were clearly no economic, social or political reasons for blacks to achieve lower scores.

Black people were therefore inferior, closer to domestic animals than humans. It was proven fact. And thus it made perfect sense to deny black people college admission, good paying jobs and nice places to live. (One of the first such "studies" was done in 1910. Blacks had total social equality then, right?) 

The racist researchers ignored any evidence that did not agree with what they already knew to be true. Blacks in northern cities consistently averaged higher scores on army aptitude tests than whites in southern cities. Black men drafted into the army in WWI and WWII managed to learn how to fly planes and operate complex military machinery the same as white draftees. And finally, if natural inferiority was really the case, black people would never have been able to pass for white-- their obvious inferiority would give them away immediately.

But none of that mattered. Same with attitudes about atheists. Some people know we are awful. They just know it. If only we had a god or two in our lives, we would not be so mean, whiny, selfish, immoral, and arrogant. Religious people never have those problems, or any problems, because they have assistance from god(s).

Let's not confuse such people with the facts. It hurts them to think.
 1. Most people who encounter me assume, since I am a black dreadlocked female of a certain age, that I am devoutly religious. If I had some quatloos for every person who has called me "spiritual" or an "old soul" or some other such nonsense over the years....

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »
Some people will only "discover" what they already know. They do not want to learn. Learning hurts.

Atheists are bad people when compared to religious folks. They are mean, whiny, selfish, immoral, arrogant losers and worship themselves. Post cute one-liner memes as if that provides support for anything. Exchange verbal insults with prickly strangers on internet forums and act as if those strangers are a random sample of all atheists.

I didn't say all atheists.  I specifically mentioned whiny atheists with a persecution complex who think being "persecuted" makes them free from criticism. 

Just because most atheists here are bigots doesn't mean all atheists are.

Online natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +123/-3
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:28 AM »
I am not a bigot, and I would kindly request that you take back that broad and inaccurate accusation.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +234/-1
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 04:22:24 AM »
I am not a bigot, and I would kindly request that you take back that broad and inaccurate accusation.

He is a bit rude isn't he? I doubt if he would this to us if we were face to face. Why not put Marvin on ignore so he posts don't show up? It's much less annoying.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »

He is a bit rude isn't he? I doubt if he would this to us if we were face to face. Why not put Marvin on ignore so he posts don't show up? It's much less annoying.

And I doubt you people would say things like "I'm less racist than you" to Christians face to face, so...

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +692/-23
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »
He is a bit rude isn't he?
Typical of those who call themselves "Christian": they don't listen to a blind word their gods say. It's as if they'd never read the Bible or if they had, identified themselves as the second lead character, Jesus Immanuel, as if he were a superhero carrying an M-15 and riding on a T-Rex.

Saying that they believe in some magic being doesn't seem to improve a lot of them at all.

Why, it is just as if you could remove the "Christian" label and nothing would happen.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1409/-9
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »

That's what I did. The ignore button is your friend, your lord and your savior. My life is so much better now. I feel born again.  :angel:

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
Typical of those who call themselves "Christian"

Doesn't want to be called a bigot.
Then goes and generalizes Christians.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »
Typical of those who call themselves "Christian"

Doesn't want to be called a bigot.
Then goes and generalizes Christians.

Generalizing people isn't being bigoted.

-Nam

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »

So going "typical Christian, being a rude asshole" isn't bigoted?  Fascinating.
Maybe instead of blaming me for calling you bigoted, you should try acting less bigoted?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »

Maybe instead of blaming me for calling you bigoted, you should try acting less bigoted?

Who said "typical Christian"? And what does one being "rude" or an "asshole" or both simultaneously equate to bigotry?

-Nam

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

Who said "typical Christian"? And what does one being "rude" or an "asshole" or both simultaneously equate to bigotry?

-Nam

Seriously?

Typical of those who call themselves "Christian": they don't listen to a blind word their gods say.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
Who said "typical"? You make a quote but provide no name. But even if someone here said that, does that one person represent all atheists here or elsewhere?

Of course not.

-Nam

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
But even if someone here said that, does that one person represent all atheists here or elsewhere?

Of course not.

Of course.  So why do you keep generalizing groups that disagree with you?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +531/-124
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »
But even if someone here said that, does that one person represent all atheists here or elsewhere?

Of course not.

Of course.  So why do you keep generalizing groups that disagree with you?

I don't generalize groups that disagree with me, that's your schtick. Now, I may generalize based on common placed statements but it has nothing to do with if it agrees with me, or not.

-Nam

Offline Marvin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-29
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
So here's what I learned from this thread.

Portraying Christians negatively: A-OK.
Portraying atheists negatively: OMG PERSECUTION