Author Topic: Not allowed science anymore  (Read 631 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +556/-22
  • Karma mooch
Not allowed science anymore
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7414/full/489170a.html

If only it were true

"I'm sorry, Ms Melham...” he began, and then more kindly. “I'm sorry, Sacha, but you've crossed the threshold. I'm afraid to say, you're not allowed science any more.”

“I'm what?”

“You're not allowed science any more,” repeated James.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +408/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Not allowed science anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
Great find - indeed... if it were true...
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +238/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7414/full/489170a.html

If only it were true

"I'm sorry, Ms Melham...” he began, and then more kindly. “I'm sorry, Sacha, but you've crossed the threshold. I'm afraid to say, you're not allowed science any more.”

“I'm what?”

“You're not allowed science any more,” repeated James.

What about young Earth Creationists, I'd like to block them from Using Fossil Fuels and Electricity derived from Fossil Fuels.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
The only problem I see is that banning science would make people like this even more likely to believe whatever lies and superstition they get fed.

On the other hand...we have driver's licenses, and you can get in serious trouble if you drive without one.  In a way, it's too bad we can't have similar "science licenses", where you're locked out of using such things until you pass the test to get the license.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Good find.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
It's a cute story, but fails for me when she asks "how" and his answer is "magic".
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »
It's a cute story, but fails for me when she asks "how" and his answer is "magic".

....if she is not allowed science, then she's only left with magic.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:18:09 AM »
Great story.  I think the "magic" line is excellent, as it fits entirely with the way she wants to view the universe. 

There could well have been a scientific explanation as to how "you are not allowed science" would work in practice - a combination of GPS tracking, a database, and a lot of computer systems, I would guess - but in the frame of the story it wouldn't have worked, I think.  In the novel-length version, or the film adaptation, it would fit, but it would break the flow of the short-story.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »
“You've got it the wrong way round. You gave the right to control your life away. You're the one who chose to ignore the way the world works.”
So sad. So true.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe