Author Topic: 1st year of a Romney presidency  (Read 548 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
1st year of a Romney presidency
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
I'm trying to imagine the 1st year of a Romney presidency with repubs controlling boththe senate and the house.

1. Affordable Health Care Act - gone.
2. Medicade - a block grant program turned over to the states.
3. Medicare - a voucher program (which will increase what you have to pay for care and meds.)
4. Social Security - privatized like a 401K program.
5. Abortion - illegal.
6. Dept. of Education - gone.
7. EPA - defunded + regulations watered down.
8. Dept. of Energy - gutted and watered down.
9. Defence budget - doubled.
10. Gov. agencies jobs in all public areas - reduced to half.
11. Wall Street regulations and checks - gone and/or watered down.
12. Tax breaks for rich and some for the rest of us so we think we are getting a break.
13. Consumer Protection Agency - gone.
14. Min. wage- gone.
15. Equal pay - gone.
16. FEMA - funds/personnel - cut in half.
17. Foreign Policy - go it alone   (its our way or no way).
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: 1st year of a Romney presidency
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
18. Troops remain in Afganastan past 2014.
19. Farm subsidies cut.
20. Boarder fence built.
21. Dream Act - gone.
22. Laws like in Arizona for illegals branched out to nation (show me your papers).
23. Pell Grant - gone.
24. Student loans only with much higher interest rate.

26. Planned Parenthood - GONE
27. Food stamps - cut.
28. All social programs - cut.
29. Mental Health programs - cut.
30. Prisons - privatized.
31. Womens/children services - cut and/or gone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:52:12 AM by Nick »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »
25. Traveler moves out of the country.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
Well, at least everybody and their dog pissed off will now have guns!

And with Traveler's post, people from other countries that post here need to seriously start helping us on how we can obtain our work visas and citizenship.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
Nick - those would certainly be among his goals.  I don't think that he could accomplish all of them in a year.  Some might not even be accomplished in his first term.  And many of those initiatives would need congressional approval. 

But look at that list and decide if you are inspired to vote for a viable alternative. 

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
32. WWIII starting with a war against Iran.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
While I agree with the core of Nick's message, lets be careful not to fall into the same gloom and doom prophetic bull crap that the far-right fundies get caught up in.  I wouldn't want legitimate concerns about Romney to be silenced by making "us" sound like the lefty equivalent of birthers.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
While I agree with the core of Nick's message, lets be careful not to fall into the same gloom and doom prophetic bull crap that the far-right fundies get caught up in.  I wouldn't want legitimate concerns about Romney to be silenced by making "us" sound like the lefty equivalent of birthers.

I don't think that Nick is that far off.  That really is Romney's agenda. 

Here.  I rewrote the first 22 items in Republicanese.  They don't sound as scary.  But they mean the same thing. 

1. Out with Obamacare
2. Less Federal interference with Medicaid.
3. Medicare - freedom of choice
4. Social Security - let the people invest the way they want
5. Protection for unborn children
6. Local control of education
7. Freedom for businesses to grow
8. Increased energy sources
9. Strengthen national security 
10. Smaller government.
11. Respect for free market.
12. Tax cuts to stimulate the economy.
13. Less government intervention in businesses and services
14. No mandatory wages – let the free market decide
15. No more reverse discrimination
16. End to FEMA death camps (ok.  Joking a little here)
17. Foreign Policy – Make America great again.
18. Win the war against terror
19. Support farmers by promoting the free market
20. Keep our borders safe.
21. No amnesty for illegal aliens
22. Allow police to enforce immigration law

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
I agree that's what they talk about. But there is almost always some rhetoric in campaign platforms so like Quesi I doubt all of those will happen even in his 1st term. But if even 1/4 of them were enacted we would be facing major problems.

I do think that if Romney is elected that we will see an acceleration of the money flow from average Americans to the rich parasites draining us dry[1].

For quite a while now I've looked at the changes in America and I see a growing discontent that I think will blossom into a second American revolution/civil war. With a Romney presidency I see that happening sooner rather than later[2]. There are times when I wonder if the possible war is the only way to correct things but I don't like the cost that we will have to pay.
 1. yes, I'm being inflamatory here
 2. although the later it is the better chance we have to prevent it
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
I don't think that Romney will go hog wild with a lot of these even thou he did say he would do a lot of them "on day 1".  If Repubs control congress then they will come hot and heavy with their pet peeves.  Dems won't be able to stop much because of something called reconsiliation.  All they need is 50 in the senate to get things done...not 60.  Romney will not stand up to them so that is why I see a lot of this happening fast and probably some I did no even think of.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
All they need is 50 in the senate to get things done...not 60. 

Only regarding budgetary issues - not other new laws. So Dems can still filibuster many other bills.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »
You forgot the requirement that all citizens wear magic underwear. Which will of course be made in China.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
Well, at least everybody and their dog pissed off will now have guns!

And with Traveler's post, people from other countries that post here need to seriously start helping us on how we can obtain our work visas and citizenship.

Well don't come to England, not that we hate you, it's just unemployment is still high. I believe it's getting better, but still, I don't think our economy would hack it if we were to have another influx of people migrating here. I think our government agreeing to an open border policy within the EU hasn't helped. I'd pick a country whose economy is doing better. Norway isn't in the EU and from what I hear they've had a stable economy, but I do not know if it's still the case, but hey, at least they're not facing the EU's problems (and of course, because we actually said 'no' to the Euro here in the UK, we can at least rely on the strength of our own currency).

Alternatively, all you yanks could sod off to Australia. I hear Magic Miles has got a swimming pool. I suppose there's always Canada and Mexico? Or France, we don't care about their economy, they defeated us in 1066 and we've not yet forgiven them for it. We only let the American Revolution slide because you guys make Krispy Kreme donuts.

Besides I am sure Obama will win. The Republican party has radicalised itself too much, surely? I know some will believe Romney's bullshit and I am sure there's a good number of radicals out there, but from what I am hearing there are groups of Republicans distancing themselves from the radicalism on the right and supporting Obama. Hopefully after Clinton's speech it'll help create more discourse between reasonable Republicans who are still supporting Romney and democrats and have them support Obama to keep a radicalised Republican party out of office. But then again, it's not all certain, maybe there are that many Americans who'll back Romney, I hope not.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »

This one is important.  He has pretty much promised war with Iran.

And don't forget, if the debt seems high now, imagine what another war and doubling the military budget will do.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
Royally fuck you over? Isn't the military spending in the US already ridiculously high?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »
Well don't come to England, not that we hate you, it's just unemployment is still high. I believe it's getting better, but still, I don't think our economy would hack it if we were to have another influx of people migrating here. I think our government agreeing to an open border policy within the EU hasn't helped. I'd pick a country whose economy is doing better. Norway isn't in the EU and from what I hear they've had a stable economy, but I do not know if it's still the case, but hey, at least they're not facing the EU's problems (and of course, because we actually said 'no' to the Euro here in the UK, we can at least rely on the strength of our own currency).

The thing is though, I got you and a few other friends from that area to help vouch for me if I decided to go anyway, and I wouldn’t have to learn a new language.

Alternatively, all you yanks could sod off to Australia. I hear Magic Miles has got a swimming pool. I suppose there's always Canada and Mexico? Or France, we don't care about their economy, they defeated us in 1066 and we've not yet forgiven them for it. We only let the American Revolution slide because you guys make Krispy Kreme donuts.

The big 4 I’ve been thinking about were Switzerland, Germany, Norway, and Sweden. I can do with Canada as well. I don’t know about Australia, but Mexico is a no-go. Mexico is ran by the drug lords, and their government is in cahoots with them. People go conspiracy theorist on the US government, but that government in Mexico is CORRUPT. In fact, it’s so bad that the drug war is leaking in the USA, to the point where it becomes understandable of the GOP’s platform on immigration, but I don’t think the hard working innocents need to suffer for the actions of a group.

Besides I am sure Obama will win. The Republican party has radicalised itself too much, surely? I know some will believe Romney's bullshit and I am sure there's a good number of radicals out there, but from what I am hearing there are groups of Republicans distancing themselves from the radicalism on the right and supporting Obama. Hopefully after Clinton's speech it'll help create more discourse between reasonable Republicans who are still supporting Romney and democrats and have them support Obama to keep a radicalised Republican party out of office. But then again, it's not all certain, maybe there are that many Americans who'll back Romney, I hope not.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

I tried to make a post last night, but it was deleted instead of posted due to the site glitching on me. I constantly get the bandwidth exceeding on me.

But that was something I tried to mention earlier, I know Obama is going to win and be re-elected for 4 more years. CNN pretty much put everything into perspective. As everything is the way they are, there are about 10 battleground states. As is, all Obama has to win is Ohio, and he’s got the election sealed, unless Romney can somehow win the other 8-9 battleground states, which I highly doubt.

To me though, I approach this from a fun hypothetical because despite the fact that there’s a huge ABO crowd in the US, I know that people who at least have a hint of knowledge with politics know that Obama is the better candidate, unless you are a rich freak. I’ve seen a ton of anti-Obama, pro-Obama, and anti-Romney bumper stickers, opinions etc. but ironically, in my area, I have yet to see 1 pro-Romney person.

But somehow someway, if Romney does do massive voter fraud and win, then please, we in all seriousness will need to move out.

This one is important.  He has pretty much promised war with Iran.

And don't forget, if the debt seems high now, imagine what another war and doubling the military budget will do.

This would be a huge reason for me. I refuse to fight in a war that I don’t believe we even have a right to invade, and yes, this will bring along WWIII, especially with Romney now declaring Russia our #1 worst enemy. If I get drafted into the military, then I'm just going to be court martialed and jailed.

This issue alone tells me to vote for Obama. Everybody talks about the economy and making jobs, but the big failure politicians have done, except for the Dems like Bill Clinton, and now Sandra Fluke, that a big part of the National Debt is due to Military and Healthcare. Experts have come out and said that the healthcare plan presented by Obama, once fully implemented, WILL DECREASE the National Debt, and we spend more in our Military than the next 68 countries combined. Just imagine if we halved that to 34? All that money alone would probably fully pay off the National Debt, but the Republicans have made it so that the common man fears if we lose our Military Budget like that (which only 1% of the entire US population is a part of mind you), we will have a much weakened Military and will be ran over by the next country that wants to invade us.

I’m sorry, but the age of imperialism is over. We need a military for protection, but we are not World Police. We are not the leaders of anything, everybody dictates their own countries. We are the USA and that’s what we need to concentrate on fixing up before we fix up anybody else’s back yard, unless something like 9/11 happens again, and even then, we don‘t need that much money and war mongering to do so.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
I agree.  The thing I'm worried about is Karl Rove and his billionaires.  Karl is one slimmy dick.  With his scum bag friends and money Im sure he has many things up his sleeve.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
Royally fuck you over? Isn't the military spending in the US already ridiculously high?

No, why would you say that?

I mean, this is perfectly sustainable as long as we get rid of medicare, medicaid, roads, schools, bridges, and all forms of public service.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
Truth is Romney is a moderate conservative

He likely wont change a whole lot. He may do a mot of restoring status quo

1. Affordable Health Care Act - gone.
2. Medicade - a block grant program turned over to the states.
3. Medicare - a voucher program (which will increase what you have to pay for care and meds.)

The previous status quo on health care will likely be restored. Old peoole having too many voted

4. Social Security - privatized like a 401K program.

Wont happen. Maybe subtle funding cuts
5. Abortion - illegal.

Wont happen. Maybe they will sneak in a conservative judge.
6. Dept. of Education - gone.

Cut funding but will be still there.

7. EPA - defunded + regulations watered down.
8. Dept. of Energy - gutted and watered down.

Agree possibly

9. Defence budget - doubled.
. Cant happen. You mikitary budget already to max.

10. Gov. agencies jobs in all public areas - reduced to half.
11. Wall Street regulations and checks - gone and/or watered down.

Agree.

16. FEMA - funds/personnel - cut in half.
17. Foreign Policy - go it alone   (its our way or no way).

Conservatives like fema.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:41:02 PM by rickymooston »
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »
Romney may be a moderate conservative in real life but how can he stay that way with the repubs we now have in congress?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
Romney may be a moderate conservative in real life but how can he stay that way with the repubs we now have in congress?

Will the race be such a decisive blood bath?

By the way, thought you were Canadian for some reason.

I predict, Romney will narrowly win the presidency but congress will not be a clear victory for either party.

In terms of what will be done, both parties will cintinue to engage in chinese wster torture but yiur economy will recover anyway. (or the chinese will take over, lol.)
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
The previous status quo on health care will likely be restored. Old peoole having too many voted

If that happens, then Medicare will go bankrupt by around 2016, before the Voucher system even kicks in, from what Bill Clinton has stated at the DNC. Even if it is back to the old way, I don’t want a $100,000 bill in my pocket if I’m in a car accident that wasn’t even my fault.

Wont happen. Maybe subtle funding cuts

This won’t happen under a Romney Presidency. I believe Romney agreed with Perry when he called SS a “ponzi” scheme.

Wont happen. Maybe they will sneak in a conservative judge.

Now this will be true to an extent because even Romney disagrees with the GOP’s platform on it, but they still think outside of rape or incest, it should still be illegal. Even then, let us not forget the who knows how many times they are trying to eliminate Planned Parenthood. They could and probably will succeed with Romney. Then we’ll start having clothes hanger abortions.

Cut funding but will be still there.

The damage will be done either way.

Cant happen. You mikitary budget already to max.

Doesn’t matter. Romney pledges he will spend $2 Trillion MORE than what the Pentagon even wants or needs to the military. And this is coming from the guy who wants to talk about the economy and creating jobs all the time, while wanting to hide his taxes and refuses to talk about Bain Capital.

Conservatives like fema.

Really? Conservatives tell me all the time that FEMA camps are actually US Nazi Concentration Camps disguised as refuges so that way when they induce Martial Law and take away our guns, they will start deporting us to these FEMA camps so they can force us to work or go to the gas chambers like in 1930’s Nazi Germany.

If I’ve heard any pro-FEMA, it’s from the Libs/Democrats.

The conspiracy theorists are so crazy with that FEMA thought that I was contemplating on applying to get a job at one of these “death” camps.