Author Topic: My New Office - the Fiction Section  (Read 573 times)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
My New Office - the Fiction Section
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I have been redoing my office at home so I have an area to work on writing lesson plans and the like.  Its been a damn slow process because I put it off until the end of summer and then didn't have time to finish it before school actually started.  In any case, I finally got all my scifi-fantasy-espionoge fiction section.

Yes, I am a geek, particularly Star Wars (im sure you couldn't have guessed that from my avatar)

What's the right behind my G1 Optimus Prime?  Yup, that's my Bible, Systematic Theology, and a biblical concordance.  It felt liberating to rightly categorize them in my fiction section.  I went ahead and just got rid of most of my books on Christianity, but felt like I should keep a couple if for no other reason than having ammunition.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
Re: My New Office - the Fiction Section
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Geek!

What's the right behind my G1 Optimus Prime?  Yup, that's my Bible, Systematic Theology, and a biblical concordance. 

haha, nice! There's a bookstore where I live that actually places religious texts like the bible, koran, etc in the fiction section. It's a privately run book store with most of the books on the shelves having been donated, so they are allowed to do that and get away with it.

Barns and Noble would be in pretty hot water if they did something like that.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
No doubt they would.

Yeah, I know... that beer stein is World of Warcraft, and that is but a fraction of my Star Wars Legos, and just out of frame is a SW FX lightsaber. lol.  I used to fight being a geek, deny it to myself and others.  Thats the beautiful thing about being married, having a small cadre of friends, and not giving a shit what "the cool kids" think anymore. 

I'm actually not sure what's been more liberating in my life.  Realizing that I dont care if im "cool" or realizing that God is complete myth.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
i LOVE the lego TIE Interceptor. Oh yes, i speak nerd. :)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
Im happy you recognized the model and didn't just call it a tie fighter.... Not that I dont have one of those too.... and the tie advanced prototype flown by Vader in ep IV.... ohhhh boy.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
The Nerd is strong in this one. I've not felt the presence of such Nerd on the forum since...velkyn. 

I hope he does not succumb to the dark side of the Nerd as she did.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
Does anyone else find themselves searching idly for a "like" button on this forum? i hate myself for asking that question, haha

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
there is.  Once you make 100 posts, you will be able to apply karma: Darwins or Smites.  We set it at 100 because we didn't want some drive by douchebag wrecking everyone's karma.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
The Nerd is strong in this one. I've not felt the presence of such Nerd on the forum since...velkyn. 

I hope he does not succumb to the dark side of the Nerd as she did.

So, what exactly is the Dark side of the nerd?  Is it more powerful?

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »
Does anyone else find themselves searching idly for a "like" button on this forum? i hate myself for asking that question, haha

Like.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
there is.  Once you make 100 posts, you will be able to apply karma: Darwins or Smites.  We set it at 100 because we didn't want some drive by douchebag wrecking everyone's karma.

Meantime, i'll just smile quietly to myself :)

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »
Geek!

What's the right behind my G1 Optimus Prime?  Yup, that's my Bible, Systematic Theology, and a biblical concordance. 

haha, nice! There's a bookstore where I live that actually places religious texts like the bible, koran, etc in the fiction section. It's a privately run book store with most of the books on the shelves having been donated, so they are allowed to do that and get away with it.

Barns and Noble would be in pretty hot water if they did something like that.
I don't mind religious books having their own separate Religion section in a bookstore, and am only slightly annoyed when that section is described as non-fiction. What chaps my hide is when I find creationist books in the biology section.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
^ Oh yeah, good point.  That shit should definitely be with the religious books.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »

No, it is not more powerful.  Quicker, easier, more seductive.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 09:03:43 AM »
^well played sir.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
I don't mind religious books having their own separate Religion section in a bookstore, and am only slightly annoyed when that section is described as non-fiction. What chaps my hide is when I find creationist books in the biology section.
The only book I've seen in the science section that I disagree with is Behe's Darwin's Black Box.

And for the record Star Trek is better than Star Wars.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »

I know you are just saying that to stir up controversy because in no conceiveable way, on no conceiveable planet could that statement ever be true.  That is not to say Star Trek sucks, because I do not think it does.  It is just consistently barely mediocre with one or two flashes of brilliance. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »

You have lost all credibility with this statement. Don't get me wrong, I love me some trek too. But honestly?  See screwtapes comment.  ;)

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
I don't think Star Trek and Star Wars can even been compared to one another. They are both equally awesome for different reasons. I would however prefer a Star Trek Marathon to a Star Wars marathon any day... ::Ducks and runs for shelter::
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:04 PM »
They are both equally awesome for different reasons.

that is just a crazy thing to say.   For one, star trek and all of its lame spin offs are about 90% bereft of awesome.  It is simple math:

AwesomeJordi LaForge=AwesomeJar Jar Binks
AwesomeEnterprise<<AwesomeSuper Star Destroyer
AwesomeWhoopi Goldberg<<AwesomeSam Jackson
AwesomeQ<AwesomeDarth Vader's TIE fighter
AwesomeJean-Luc Picard<AwesomeBoba Fett
AwesomeWorf<<AwesomeChewbacca
AwesomeData<<AwesomeC3PO

etc.

Secondly, you can take everything awesome about star trek, pile it up in one bucket, and it is still not remotely as awesome as jedi.

AwesomeJedi >> Awesomeentire rest of the universe

Simple math.

If you prefer to watch a marathon of star trek, well, that's your business.  Some people cannot handle awesome just like some people cannot handle spicy food.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »

No, it is not more powerful.  Quicker, easier, more seductive.

So Yoda, if it is quicker and easier to learn....that would mean everyone who uses it is more powerful with the same level of training. So essentially, all dark siders are more powerful. Man, that sucks.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »
i LOVE the lego TIE Interceptor. Oh yes, i speak nerd. :)

Meh, I personally like my UCS Imperial Star Destroyer more, but ended up demolishing it for parts after two years. Of course I know I have about a half dozen of Darth Vaders Tie in a box around here somewhere, and just got finished demolishing and sorting out the parts of a Death Star playset and UCS Imperial Shuttle.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
So Yoda, if it is quicker and easier to learn....that would mean everyone who uses it is more powerful with the same level of training. So essentially, all dark siders are more powerful. Man, that sucks.

Here, Garja, is an example of the dark side of the Nerd. 

He is a contrarian trying to disrupt the Nerd using the Nerd within him.  But the Nerd permeates us and binds us.  His tricks only work on the weak minded.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
^ LOL!

Hatter: Ahhhh Damn!  I want an ISD so bad!  That's a hard purchase to justify to the wife... the Millennium Falcon was hard enough.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
^ LOL!

Hatter: Ahhhh Damn!  I want an ISD so bad!  That's a hard purchase to justify to the wife... the Millennium Falcon was hard enough.

Which Millennium, the one with 5107 pieces? That's quite a bit more sizable than the 3096 in the ISD I have/had. I also have a 6211 ISD(the one with the minifigs) new in the box I've been holding onto to sell to a friend, if he ever gets off his ass and buys it from me, I've been waiting about 17 months.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
Oh god no.  The 1200ish piece one.... the one that's just a little north of $100US.

But the big Executor class SSD, mmmm. But 4-hundy is a little hard to justify for legos

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
Oh god no.  The 1200ish piece one.... the one that's just a little north of $100US.

But the big Executor class SSD, mmmm. But 4-hundy is a little hard to justify for legos

I spent about that amount for all the sets I bought at the Lego store during the Lego Convention, certainly not on one set alone. I did drop $650.00 in February to buy a neighbor's collection he was selling off because he got his girl pregnant, but that ate up my lego budget for 5-6 months. Damn, but it was a lot of stuff. The Mellinium Falcon, The Imperial Flagship, The Queen Ann's Revenge,The Space Shuttle, The Cargo Train, The Maersk Train, The Death Star Playset, The UCS Emperor's Shuttle, Two V Wings, Two Clone Troops Packs, Two Naboo packs, The T-6 Jedi Shuttle, Twenty or So of the Collectible Minifigs, and more.

I plan on selling off the Star Wars Minifigs to help recoup some of it. It's funny; I love Star Wars; I love Lego, but I only like Star Wars Lego. However, for resale value, no other line is quite as consistent a performer like Star Wars.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:57:19 AM by Hatter23 »

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Yeah, all I have are the SW Lego... not counting the stuff I have from when I was a kid, but that's pretty much all just loose in a box.  I haven't actually bought any Lego for several years now, but if you ever want to get rid of a Star Destroyer or Death Star get a hold of me (I only collect original trilogy btw).

-Benjamin Franklin