Author Topic: Science Friday - galaxy collisions  (Read 183 times)

Offline shnozzola

Science Friday - galaxy collisions
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Collisions between two spiral galaxies can be spectacular affairs, filled with drama and romance.  Dr. Barry Rothberg of the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics in Potsdam, details how the massive events play out and why the fate of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, could already be sealed.

http://sciencefriday.com/video/01/17/2014/star-crossed-galaxies.html

“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Science Friday - galaxy collisions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:10:21 PM »
Drama I can see, but "romance"?
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
You don't see how this can be seen as a galactic love affair? A passionate embrace of two celestial bodies that leaves both inextricably bound to one another, forming a greater whole that spawns a bounty of new stars. I can certainly see the romance.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:08:41 AM by Xero-Kill »
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
Now I'd like reincarnation to be true so I can get to see this!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
You don't see how this can be seen as a galactic love affair? A passionate embrace of two celestial bodies that leaves both inextricably bound to one another, forming a greater whole that spawns a bounty of new stars. I can certainly see the romance.

You had be at "celestial bodies" hubba hubba
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces