Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 626 times)

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello!
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
Greetings.

I am very glad to have found this site. I stumbled upon the God is Imaginary main site from a comment on the Bill Nye story on CNN, and read a bunch of it before clicking on the Why Won't God Heal Amputees link. Reading through some of the topics, it's clear that there's a lot of intelligent discussion going on, as well as a fair amount of snark (just the way i like it).

As for my religiosity, I grew up with a stepmother who dragged me to a small evangelical church that i mostly hated, though it was composed largely of nice people whom i liked on a personal level. As a young man, I tried to please the girl I loved by taking an active role in HER small evangelical church, and i did a pretty good job of faking it--although i did really try to believe. I knew in my heart it was all bs, but i went through the motions as sincerely as i knew how, going to bible studies and retreats, even singing with the praise team.

Now, as a nearing-middle-aged man, and with that girl long ago gone from my life, i see no reason to deny what my logical mind has known since i was a boy: God is mythology. It may or may not have its place in our culture, but it certainly shouldn't be compulsory. I am frustrated by believers who take everything as a given with no desire to question the validity of their beliefs, and moreso by the christian fundamentalists who wish to force their mythology into our government against our will and our interests.

I would say that as i fully embrace my atheism, the prevailing emotion i feel is one of relief--why should i go through life fearing an omnipotent being who claims to love me but will torture me eternally if i have the temerity to doubt his existence against all evidence to the contrary? I love life, and each day is all the more precious because i know these are the only ones i will live.

I look forward to participating in the discussions here, learning more about our natural world, and hopefully some spirited debating from intelligent theists.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Enjoy your stay.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
Welcome, I am the local crazy, irrational theist.  I hope you will enjoy the discussions on this forum.  You will find plenty of support here from the learned atheists. I tend to avoid debates on theism because they bore me.  I am probably the most unconventional Christian you will encounter.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
Hello and welcome aboard!  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Lori, why would you call yourself an unconventional Christian?

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
Welcome Stephen!

Im actually relatively new around these parts too (like 6 weeks or so) and am absolutely addicted to this site.  Yes, you will see equal parts well-thought discussions, and snarky sarcasm... Usually in a respectful way, I dont think I have yet to see a site user verbally destroy anyone who wasn't seriously begging for it.

Lori is cool though.  She's irrational but she recognizes it at least.  ;)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:26 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Lori, why would you call yourself an unconventional Christian?

I am irreverent, liberal, non-traditional, un-judgmental.  I follow the description of Christ as a servant, caregiver, lover of people.  I treat others the way I expect to be treated.  As far as the hellfire, damnation aspect goes - I'm not for it.  I view the inconsistencies as literary errors and I choose not to concern myself with the lack of evidence.  I'm generally easygoing and fun until someone pisses me off.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • Apatheist
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
Hello writerstephen ,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline writerstephen

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »

As far as the hellfire, damnation aspect goes - I'm not for it. 

This interests me--why are you not for it? It always seemed to me to be a central tenet. Are you of the belief that there are no afterlife consequences for unbelief? if so, why?

Not trying to give you the third degree, i'm just curious.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

I've often wondered about the topic of eternal punishment as described in Matt 25:46

The verse is this: And these will go into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life (NKJV). I twas spoken by Jesus.

What does this verse even mean. And it's possibly not a translation error, since many other versions of the bible use similar wording.
http://bible.cc/matthew/25-46.htm

What is eternal punishment, anyways? What happens to the dead after if they don't accept christ when they are living?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-6
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »

This interests me--why are you not for it? It always seemed to me to be a central tenet. Are you of the belief that there are no afterlife consequences for unbelief? if so, why?

Not trying to give you the third degree, i'm just curious.

I realize according to the NT Jesus is The Way if that were to be considered the only source of truth.  But I don't beleive it can be that simple.  What about Ghandi, the Dali Lama -- super peaceful, live pretty much exactly as Jesus taught exept the part about accept him as lord...