Author Topic: Catholic Bishop Compares Obama to Hitler and Stalin  (Read 783 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
Catholic Bishop Compares Obama to Hitler and Stalin
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
Allowing working women access to contraception coverage is apparently as bad as genocide, according to one Catholic bishop:

Catholic Bishop Claims Obama Is ‘Following A Similar Path’ To Hitler

"Hitler and Stalin, at their better moments, would just barely tolerate some churches remaining open, but would not tolerate any competition with the state in education, social services, and health care.

In clear violation of our First Amendment rights, Barack Obama – with his radical, pro abortion and extreme secularist agenda, now seems intent on following a similar path."

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/04/17/466053/catholic-bishop-claims-obama-is-following-a-similar-path-to-hitler/?mobile=nc

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Catholic Bishop Compares Obama to Hitler and Stalin
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
Is "comparing the president to Hitler" a new thing, or has it been going on for a while?  I really don't remember seeing this sort of thing before Obama came along.  Though I wasn't paying as much attention to politics back then.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
Is this the same Hitler we all know and hate? You know, the good catholic one who was never excommunicated? Or the fictional atheist Hitler theists believe in?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »
Maybe the bishop should attend to his own problems.  I'm sure he has an alter boy or 2 stashed away for good keeping.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
Nick, I realize making fun of Catholics amuses you, but making a joke about homosexual priests detracts from the topic in this case.

Also, Godwin's law.  I wonder if the good bishop has discovered the Internet.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
We have all seen the pictures of the church officials giving the Nazi salutes in WW2 and the Pope has ties to the Nazi's so maybe this idiot should just worry about his own back yard.........then there is the church elders hiding pedophiles for over a century
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
Is "comparing the president to Hitler" a new thing, or has it been going on for a while?  I really don't remember seeing this sort of thing before Obama came along.  Though I wasn't paying as much attention to politics back then.

Nah, they did it to Bush too.  As much as I disagree with a lot of Bush's policies, Hitler he was not.

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
Nick, I realize making fun of Catholics amuses you, but making a joke about homosexual priests detracts from the topic in this case.

Also, Godwin's law.  I wonder if the good bishop has discovered the Internet.
Referring to them as homosexuals detracts from the accuracy of your statement. I think "pedophile" would be a better choice of words.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Nah, they did it to Bush too.  As much as I disagree with a lot of Bush's policies, Hitler he was not.

Yeah, but as far as I can remember, the people who did it back then were fringe protestors, unknown people at anti-war rallies, etc. In Obama's case, it comes from members of Congress, talk show hosts with audiences of millions (i.e. Glenn Beck), and now a high-ranking churchman...

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Yes. I will not argue with that.  People with MUCH higher visibility and "respectability" are willing to call Obama hitler. I usually START by saying first off, hitler was a CONSERVATIVE RIGHTWING NUTJOB. Then address the further issues. As I write this on my phone I actually just heard my mother talking about voting for Romney as the "lesser of two evils". She doesn't say it to me and I have no desire to make a scene at an early labor-day cookout. But yeah, pisses me off. She is one of those very poorly educated fundies that have NO clue why she believes what she believes. She's gotten kinda nutty as she's gotten older.  (only late 50s so likely to get worse)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
The bishop's statements are BS, but in the 1990's it became pretty obvious that corporations were running America, and since 9/11, it's been pretty obvious that USA is on a seemingly irreversable path of becoming increasingly totalitarian. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_totalitarianism

Under a system like the US, where people can be imprisoned and killed at the will of the president, any US president can be easily compared with Hitler. 

BTW, Nazi Germany and Hitler are well-studied, well documented case histories for students of poli-sci.  Responsible comparisons between other governments and the Nazi regime are OK. 

In fact, it's more dangerous when someone asserts the 'rule' that such comparisons are destructive.  This is because such a practice reinforces the 'it can't happen here' fallacy. 

Ultimately, I think 9/11 was for the USA what the burning of the Reichstag was for Germany. 

Only bigger.

...sigh...

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
But yeah, pisses me off. She is one of those very poorly educated fundies that have NO clue why she believes what she believes. She's gotten kinda nutty as she's gotten older.  (only late 50s so likely to get worse)

Yeah, the older you get the dumber you are. That's why teenagers should be in charge of the country and industry.

Remember when former president Clinton came out and said Bain Captiol isn't all that bad?

The Democrat party excused his treasonous remarks by explaining that he is just old.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
Am I to assume that was sarcastic Mr. B, and that you in fact have a better sense of my Mother's beliefs/opinions/education than I do?

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
Am I to assume that was sarcastic Mr. B, and that you in fact have a better sense of my Mother's beliefs/opinions/education than I do?

Assume what you must. I can tell you emphatically that I have no idea what your mother's mental or physical condition may be or how that effects her judgment.

However, younger people do excuse older people's opinions and attitudes based on the simple fact the they're old. This may not be the case for you and your mom but you still attributed her conservative views to old age and being senile.

Which to me made it seem like your opinion of the conservative point of view is that only old senile people have them.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Well, I'm 32 years old which is generally considered old enough to divine logical thought from ignorance and bias, but what do I know right?  I am not saying that she is senile by the way, though if heredity is any indicator that is right around the corner. But no. I criticize her beliefs because they are based in ignorance, racism, bigotry, and willfull self-deception. If this is still pissing me off when I'm not on my iPhone I'd be happy to go into it more mr b.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:03 PM »
Please understand that I am not trying to piss you off.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Hatter23
Strawman argument, lying

Strawman, yeah I see that but lying? Where did I lie?

Quote from: screwtape
It's "democratic" party, not "democrat" party

You don't normally thumb down for incorrect word use or misspelling...what's the real problem?