Author Topic: Australian Christian lobby defends gay slur  (Read 254 times)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
Australian Christian lobby defends gay slur
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:43:44 AM »
Here in Australia we have a lovely organisation known as the Australian Christian Lobby. Sensible Christians in Australia distance themselves from this group saying the ACL does not speak for them, and here is one good reason why...

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/christian-lobby-defends-gay-slur-20120906-25gxe.html

"I think we're going to owe smokers a big apology when the homosexual community's own statistics for its health - which it presents when it wants more money for health - are that it has higher rates of drug-taking, of suicide, it has the life of a male reduced by up to 20 years," he told the audience.

"The life of smokers is reduced by something like seven to 10 years and yet we tell all our kids at school they shouldn't smoke."

Mr Wallace made the remarks during a debate on marriage equality with Greens leader Christine Milne at the University of Tasmania on Wednesday. Answering a question from a student on the relevance of his views, he said health statistics among the gay community were worse than those for smokers.

Mr. Wallace has since claimed that he was mis-quoted.

Mr Wallace said he was trying make to make the point that "if the gay lifestyle was packaged in with the heterosexual lifestyle in marriage, we're ignoring the fact that it's not equal love when the health consequences of gay love were quite pronounced".

What I find ironic is that this Wallace does not see (or will not admit?) the link between discrimination against homosexuals, and their miserable and (often) shorter lifespan (due to depression and suicide). Yes Mr. Wallace, being gay does suck, but only because of people like you.

One good result though, our (so-called) atheist Prime Minister Julia Gillard has withdrawn from speaking at an ACL National Conference next month.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.