Author Topic: Sugar Found In Space: A Sign of Life?  (Read 765 times)

Offline shnozzola

Sugar Found In Space: A Sign of Life?
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
The discovery doesn't prove that life has developed elsewhere in the universe—but it implies that there is no reason it could not. .................Glycoaldehyde can be found on Earth, usually in the form of an odorless white powder. While it isn't used to sweeten foods, it is important because scientists think it plays a key role in the chemical reaction that forms ribonucleic acid (RNA), a crucial biomolecule present in all living cells.

It's still unclear exactly how glycoaldehyde is produced in space, but observations suggest it forms on ice-covered dust grains in the dense, cold parts of interstellar molecular clouds, Jørgensen said.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120829-sugar-space-planets-science-life/
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Sugar Found In Space: A Sign of Life?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
so now we have sugar in space and this is awesome, all that is left to find is sex.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
I'm not getting excited until till they discover artificial sweeteners in space - then we'll really know something.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
I'm not getting excited until till they discover artificial sweeteners in space - then we'll really know something.
that would be like wearing a condom when it comes to the big picture.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »
The discovery doesn't prove that life has developed elsewhere in the universe—but it implies that there is no reason it could not. .................Glycoaldehyde can be found on Earth, usually in the form of an odorless white powder. While it isn't used to sweeten foods, it is important because scientists think it plays a key role in the chemical reaction that forms ribonucleic acid (RNA), a crucial biomolecule present in all living cells.

SWEEEEET!!  (I can't believe no one said that yet)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »

You're our winner!  No prize though, sorry.  :(

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
So that is why the universe is obese. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +531/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
Once again, we discover that our conception of the universe just doesn't match up to the real thing.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:23 AM »
Does this mean that we can become One with the Universe by eating a sufficient amount of candy?

And is there any truth to the rumour[1] that Tom Baker's version of the TARDIS ran on jelly babies?
 1. which I just started.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 05:07:37 AM »
The exciting (or at least new) thing about this is not that this particular sugar was discovered in space.[1] It's that this time it's close to a star, and a sun-like star to boot. Which means that glycoaldehyde not only forms in space, it can and does reach planets. The at least potential importance of such an occurence for abiogenesis can't be discounted.
 1. We already knew that. Well, not me, scientists. Me, I'm always lagging behind.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
The at least potential importance of such an occurence for abiogenesis can't be discounted.

Ha!  you haven't been paying close enough attention to the creationist movement (not that I would blame you)!

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Ha!  you haven't been paying close enough attention to the creationist movement (not that I would blame you)!
Hmmm ... fair enough. It can't be sensibly discounted.

Better?
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
Okay this was a cool discovery but can we stop calling it a sugar. Fuck what NG says, they are wrong too. Not all words that begin with glyco or have glyco in them are sugars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolaldehyde
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
I see you're linking to Glycolaaldehyde, not glycoaldehyde. I noticed because i made sure I was writing it the exact same way as the NatGeo writer, who wrote it without an "l" consistently.
The former gets 90k hits in Google, the latter 12k. I seriously have no idea if they are the same thing or it's just a common typo or what. Googling for chemical structures or formulae gave me a nosebleed. Two chemistry wikis didn't have an entry for either.

Also, I hate auto-correction.

(edit: Well, wolframalpha.com interprets glycoaldehyde as glycolaldehyde. And after a bit of soul-crushing research involving more of Google, online encyclopedias, and a grumpy neighborhood shaman, they do seem to be referenced by the same cas numberWiki. So as far as I can tell they're synonymous and glycoaldehyde is thus no more a sugar than glycolaldehyde is.

Good thing it's not my job to write science articles ...)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:39:36 PM by Noman Peopled »
-xphobe

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
 :o Okay, I'm getting a headache.  :o
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »

I got a karma for it.   ;D

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »

I stand corrected!  Well deserved, too.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:03 AM »

I stand corrected!  Well deserved, too.

SWEEEEEET!!!  (some jokes never get old!!  Is this one???  Only time will tell . . .)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »
So that is why the universe is obese. ;)

When you need a belt that's several trillion light years long to go around you, yet you're still expanding, it is a sign you have a serious problem.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.