Author Topic: Creationists hit back at Bill Nye  (Read 258 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
Creationists hit back at Bill Nye
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/31/creationists-hit-back-at-bill-nye-with-their-own-video/?hpt=hp_t3

One of the quotes from the article...

I didn't read all the posts (no time today) but the thing that is bothering me is this.....here is a supposedly brilliant scientist/celebrity, has his own show so he must be, right? And he has just insulted the intelligence of every parent on the planet. "Now listen, Billy, Mommy and Daddy believe in creation, that God is real and made everything you see, and Bill Nye the Science Guy says that's "fine". But Mr.Nye also says that THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, Mommy and Daddy are too dumb, and teaching you our views is child abuse. So, here's a book on Evolution, the fundamental prinicples of which have NEVER BEEN PROVEN AS FACT EITHER, or better yet, let's let you choose what you believe with no guidance at all except what you see on TV or the internet. After all, you are 6 years old, time for you to contribute to society in an "enlightened" way." I am disgusted that this man would think that if we teach our children anything at all, it would be views contrary to what we believe. I would have no problem discussing evolution and the THEORIES that are out there, but to suggest I would not try to instill my beliefs in my children is incredibly obtuse and insulting.

Don't religious people realize how insulting it is to all of intelligence, reason, and the explosion of science and technology to insist that creationism still be taught to young minds!?  :-\
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Creationists hit back at Bill Nye
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
Emotional knee-jerk respond, "evolution is JUST a theory", "god is real, and you know it"...

Yeah, pretty much the sort of things I expected.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
I just dont get it.  Many of these creationists hang their hat on "this has never even been proven" its "just a theory" bullshit.  You ask them, "have you ever read anything about evolution not published by creationists?"  The answer is almost always "no".  The willful ignorance around creationism is among the most angering things that the religious are bringing to the current discussion.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
Just as parents should be able to teach their kids the Earth is flat.  The theory that it is round is just that...a theory.  Once again...stupid monkeys. :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!