Author Topic: Greetings from Germany  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Shandi

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Greetings from Germany
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:42:01 AM »
Hello everybody, I´m new here, found this page reading Sam Harris "Letter to a christian nation". I live in Germany, my parents came here in 1962 from Spain and I was brougth up roman-catholic. I stopped believing long time ago cause it didn´t make any sense to me anymore. Now we are facing huge problems with belief here in Germany, starting with the discussion about circumcision of baby boys and the growing influence of islam here. What makes me sick is that the moment you say something against jews or muslims here you´re instantly accused of being a nazi. WWII is still a big shadow hanging over everything, that´s our "original sin".
If 50 million people say a foolish thing it´s still a foolish thing (Bertrand Russel)

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Greetings from Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
Welcome. This is a small club. As the title says, it is a bit more focused on fundamentalist. They come and go. There are other forums that are more social.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
Welcome,

I have absolutely no problem was muslims or jews or christians or atheists or buddhists or whoever as long as everyone takes their beliefs in context to their own lives and understands they could be wrong.  Education is the thing.   The direction of our  evolved tribal views will probably be our undoing.  Sad.

It’s a shame that young Germans must deal with Hitler’s baggage.  It’s like young Americans paying for slavery.  I am white but have a black wife.  I get the most angry glances and comments from African- American men.  We all evolve sooooo  slow.  The progress of society is the latest thought that bugs me - I guess backwards really, right now.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Interesting you bring up circumcision, because I've been reading a lot about it lately. I'm delighted that Germany has banned it as the more I learn, the more concerned I am about it as a primitive and painful process that negatively impacts boys and men.

I hope you enjoy it here. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +134/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
Hello everybody, I´m new here, found this page reading Sam Harris "Letter to a christian nation". I live in Germany, my parents came here in 1962 from Spain and I was brougth up roman-catholic. I stopped believing long time ago cause it didn´t make any sense to me anymore. Now we are facing huge problems with belief here in Germany, starting with the discussion about circumcision of baby boys and the growing influence of islam here. What makes me sick is that the moment you say something against jews or muslims here you´re instantly accused of being a nazi. WWII is still a big shadow hanging over everything, that´s our "original sin".

Hello Shandi, welcome! You're among like-minded people. I thought Letter to a Christian Nation was a good read.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Take a look around, and join in on the conversations, or start your own!

I lived in Germany for four years as a child of an American military family.  I lived near Frankfurt.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
Welcome Shandi!  Harris' book really is an excellent read.... I've recommended it to friends who were on the fence.  Short too.  It is a shame that Germany is still having to pay for the sins of the (grand)father.  I teach history here in the US, and it looms even here when ever Germany comes into the historical discussion.  I do my part to try to stop the preconceived notions.

In any case, welcome to the forums, I look forward to hearing more of your position.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
Welcome.  I think that you will find a lot of smart and interesting people here, and lots of lively discussion. 

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
Welcome, Shandi.

What makes me sick is that the moment you say something against jews or muslims here you´re instantly accused of being a nazi. WWII is still a big shadow hanging over everything, that´s our "original sin".

That's a shame. And I've always wondered is this actually happens. I'm sorry it does. The best way to present yourself as being atheist and against religions beliefs is to present good arguments to show you're not a Nazi. The person running Germany did some bad things during WWII but in 2012  the shadow should be lifted by now.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
Shandi,

My apologies for the late welcome! Better late than never? I hope you will come back and share more of your experiences with us.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Shandi

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Thanks everybody for the nice welcome! I´m having fun surfing the forum....
If 50 million people say a foolish thing it´s still a foolish thing (Bertrand Russel)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »
Willkommen sie.  Wie gehts. 

That is about the extent of my Deutche.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
Guten abend!

My German ain't that great, but good enough to get around. :) Welcome to the forums. I am sure you'll settle in just fine, we're friendly, but we can be a bit tough when it comes to in depth discussions and for most folk I recommend having thick skin, people tend to say what they really think, but appreciate honesty, which we don't always get from theists. I suspect with the elections drawing nearer and nearer the Americans here will be kissing out asses, because I hear word some are thinking of moving if Romney wins and they'll need a place to stay until it all blows over. :P So I think this is a good time to be a non-American new member.  ;D

Jokes aside. I'm a Brit, I used to live in Germany when I was a toddler (Munchengladback) and tend to head over to Germany for the Wacken Open Air music festival (North of Hamburg) and was there last month. I love the place - or at least the parts I've been.

I would say the rules are a good guide to discussion for around here. I hope you enjoy your stay and get something positive out of it. :)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.