Author Topic: Say what you mean....  (Read 445 times)

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Say what you mean....
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/31/13583763-ny-priest-apologizes-for-saying-child-is-often-seducer-in-sex-abuse-cases?lite

A New York priest says he "deeply regrets" if he hurt anyone by his comments that priests accused of child sex abuse are often seduced by their accusers and that a first-time offender should not go to jail.

Feeling a little guilty about something, Father?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Say what you mean....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
So quickly they backpedal.

From the article.
The friars expressed regret for the remarks and highlighted Groeschel's medical history. They said he had been in a car accident several years ago, and that "in recent months his health, memory and cognitive ability have been failing." They described the comments as "out of character."

"He said something like grandpa would say and it's like 'Grandpa, why would you say that?'" Sudano told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Why did they interview this guy then?  His ability to think and communicate are failing, they recognize it's failing, he says some incredibly stupid things, and then they print his incredibly stupid comments.  It's as if they didn't care what he said, almost as if whatever he said was going to be published regardless of what it was.  I think the editor should be held responsible as well.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Yeah, you would think they were politicians.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
He also referred to Sandusky as a "poor guy" and feels that many cases it is the victims seducing the priest/pedophile.

And people ask me why I'm no longer a catholic. &)
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
Wow, ive heard of blaming the victim (again, remember I've worked with sex offenders).

But that takes some great-big swinging balls to go to that extent.

Side note: Ive actually heard of a 16 year old who thought a 2 year old was "the seducer".  Yeah, he was one of those kids I didn't really have much hope for rehabilitation.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:35:14 AM »
Wow, I've been in a couple of car accidents.[1] Does that mean I can get away with anything?
 1. None of them my fault
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.