Author Topic: Bisexual Atheist Woman Wins Arizona Congressional Primary  (Read 1906 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
Bisexual Atheist Woman Wins Arizona Congressional Primary
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »
A state senator named Kyrsten Sinema has won the Democratic primary in Arizona's 9th Congressional District and is said to have a reasonable chance of winning in November.  Surprisingly, she is a nonbeliever, openly bisexual, and is even quite attractive!

She helped launch the Secular Coalition of Arizona and has been honored by the Center for Inquiry for "supporting public policy based on scientific thinking, evidence, and reason while maintaining church-state separation and promoting civil rights."  She's known for fighting Arizona's harsh immigration policies and anti-gay legislation.

If elected, she would be only the second open atheist (and first open bisexual) to serve in Congress, so this sounds like a race to watch...

Nontheist, Bisexual Candidate Wins Congressional Primary Race
http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/08/29/nontheist-bisexual-candidate-wins-primary-race-in-wait-in-freaking-arizona-of-all-places/

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Bisexual Atheist Woman Wins Arizona Congressional Primary
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »
This is affecting my preconceived notions of voters in Arizona. (or is it effecting it? this is the one grammar rule I NEVER felt I understood).

In other news: Yeah, I would.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »
Arizona must be one confused state.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
This is good news, in more ways than one.  Even if she does lose in the general election, that fact that she won the primary is still highly significant.  I'm very glad to see this development -- thanks for the post.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:13 AM »
Humbug.  I was getting ready to make a donation to her campaign, but there's something on there about not being able to accept donations from federal government contractors.  I wonder what the deal is with that... I've dropped them a note to ask.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
Arizona has been solid Republican since 1968. If McCain runs, he will be looking at a 2:1 majority over all his rivals' votes.

Ms Sinema sounds a capable politician, however, in the face of such a certain defeat, the Democrats can put up anyone, regardless of their personal beliefs.

I have seen this sort of thing on both sides in the UK - Party A always wins constituency A*, so Party B puts up a surprising choice, a Stalking horseWiki, just to see what sort of levels of support are available, and thus guide their future choice of candidate in other elections.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Arizona has been solid Republican since 1968. If McCain runs, he will be looking at a 2:1 majority over all his rivals' votes.

She's not going up against McCain.  The Republican candidate is some other guy I've never heard of.

Ms Sinema sounds a capable politician, however, in the face of such a certain defeat, the Democrats can put up anyone, regardless of their personal beliefs.

I have seen this sort of thing on both sides in the UK - Party A always wins constituency A*, so Party B puts up a surprising choice, a Stalking horseWiki, just to see what sort of levels of support are available, and thus guide their future choice of candidate in other elections.

Actually, that District is considered to be a toss up.  The pundits are saying it's likely to be a close race.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Wow.  That is really cool.  An atheist AND opening bisexual?  Honestly, I think that openly bisexual people face more discrimination than openly gay people because of perceived promiscuity.  And we all know how feared atheists are, given our innate hedonism and lack of morality.

I took a peek at her website http://kyrstensinema.com/endorsements/ and she has a strong endorsement list.  Her "issues section" is weaker than I would like to see.  She seems to be taking a vague, middle of the road stance on most issues.

But I certainly wish her luck.  This will be a race to watch. 

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:31:25 AM »
Apparently, her Republican opponent will be a conservative African-American ex-mayor who once touted his close ties to Sheriff Joe Arpaio. So it should be an interesting and unusual race.

If this blog post is any indication, the right-wingers are going to accuse her of being kooky and extremist:

"Moderate" Arizona Democrat Has Deep Ties to Left-Wing Radicals, Obama White House
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/05/11/meet_kyrsten_sinema

They're implying that she's some sort of pagan or witch, although it seems to be guilt-by-association based on activities that occurred at anti-war rallies she attended many years ago...i.e. "dance circles" and the like...

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
I think that my weak understanding of the arcane voting system you have, let me down. I see from Arizona's 9th congressional districtWiki
Sinema has been endorsed by EMILY's List, AFL-CIO, The Professional Firefighters of Arizona, Former Congressman Sam Coppersmith, among others

and http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Arizona's_9th_congressional_district_elections,_2012: "Arizona's 9th is considered to be Leaning Democratic according to the New York Times race ratings. Redistricting left Republicans unhappy about the new 9th District, located in East Phoenix, Tempe and parts of Scottsdale, a relatively safe pickup for Democrats. "
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
I think that my weak understanding of the arcane voting system you have, let me down.

It's not that complicated.  Our legislature is bicameral, the Senate and the House.  Each state has two members in the Senate.  Senators represent the entire state and are thus voted on by the entire state.

Membership in the House is determined by a state's population, so for example, Vermont, with its fairly small population, has only one member in the House, while California has over 50.  In states where there is more than one House member, the state is divided up into districts, one district for each member of the House.  People vote only for candidates in the District that they live in.  Every ten years, our federal government conducts a census, and depending on the results of that census, changes may be made in a state's House membership and the mapping of the districts in that state.  Arizona's Ninth District is a new district, created as a result of the 2010 census, and there is therefore no incumbent.

So although Arizona overall is a pretty Republican state, the distribution of Republicans and Democrats throughout the state is not uniform, and as it happens (as you discovered) Republicans do not dominate the Ninth District.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
Nice, clear explanation, Pianodwarf.

So as Pianodward said, in the Senate, each state gets two representatives, regardless of the size or population of the state.  In the House, the number of representatives is based on the population, and the most recent census numbers are used to determine how many representatives the state gets.  States with more representatives have more power in the house. 

But more importantly, (perhaps) is the fact that the number of congressional districts is equal to the number of electoral votes the state has in the presidential elections.   As I'm sure you know, in the US, we don't elect presidents by popular vote.  Instead, each state has a certain number of electoral votes, or points.  If the majority of voters in that state select one candidate, then ALL of the electoral votes for that state go to that candidate.   Sometimes a candidate (like George W) loses the popular vote, but gets a majority of electoral votes, and becomes president.  That is why there was the big scandal about the state of Florida in 2000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Florida,_2000   The popular vote within the state was very very close, but when the decision was made that the majority of the votes counted went to George W, he got ALL of the state's electoral votes, and subsequently won the election.

So the census counts how many people live in each city, suburb and rural community in the country.  Everyone who lives there counts, regardless of whether that person is a foreign student or an undocumented worker. 

Arizona is an interesting case.  The state has (or had in 2010)[1] one of the highest percentages of undocumented residents in the entire country.   

And it is the presence of those undocumented immigrants, who were counted in the US census, that pushed the population numbers up and enabled Arizona to not only create a new congressional district and increase the state's power in congress, but also to increase the state's number of electoral votes. 

1. Anti-immigrant practices in AZ (which were later found to be unconstitutional) made life so miserable for many latinos, especially undocumented immigrants, that there was a mass exodus from the state starting in late 2007.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
I had not thought about how the House grows larger with the population--and is arguably far more democratic, small d, than the Senate. And the connection with electoral votes. Makes the participating in the census very important, along with registering all eligible citizens.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
I had not thought about how the House grows larger with the population

It doesn't.  The size of the House is fixed at 435 members.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
What if PR becomes the 51st state?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

Oh, I remember that now. So that is why redistricting happens after the census-- some districts lose a seat and another gains one.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

Oh, I remember that now. So that is why redistricting happens after the census-- some districts lose a seat and another gains one.

Yup, and we get to depend on the politicians in charge of it to be completely fair, unbiased, and bipartisan while they set up the lines.

See this excellent video to better understand how the system gets manipulated. 

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

The number or representatives can go up or down, based on population, and the number of votes in the electoral college can go up or down, based on population.  New York has lost both representatives in congress, and electoral votes in recent years.

The number of representatives and the number of electoral votes are not exactly the same numbers for each state, but they are usually pretty close. 

But yeah.  Participation in the census is VERY important.  If there is an undercount, your state loses not only congressional representation and electoral votes, but also loses federal money for public schools, and a wide range of other federally funded programs.  If your neighborhood has an undercount, you lose a portion of the local funding that goes to the department of sanitation. 

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

The number or representatives can go up or down, based on population, and the number of votes in the electoral college can go up or down, based on population.

That used to be the case, but since the Reapportionment Act of 1929 was passed, it isn't anymore.  Since then, the size of the House has been fixed at 435 members (and thus the number of votes in the Electoral College is also fixed).  The way it works is, if one state gains a House seat, as Arizona did this year, another state has to lose one.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
What if PR becomes the 51st state?

Then it would have two senators and, in all likelihood, five representatives in the House, based on its population.  Those five seats would have to come at the cost of taking five seats from one or more other states.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
Participation in the census is VERY important. 

But, if I tell them where I live then the foil I wear on my head is absolutely pointless!  &)

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
Participation in the census is VERY important. 

But, if I tell them where I live then the foil I wear on my head is absolutely pointless!  &)

They already know where you live. And they want you to have foil on your head, because:

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
You can practice the art of gerrymandering here: http://www.redistrictinggame.org/

Sort of a fun game. And really helps to understand how gerrymandering works.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »
When she says she's bipartisan, she really means it.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
I wonder if she would have won if she were less attractive...  I'm just sayin'
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
I wonder if she would have won if she were less attractive...  I'm just sayin'

She won by a pretty large margin, so I doubt it was a deciding factor.  However, I don't doubt that some people (we'll never know how many, of course) voted for her based on her appearance.  Conversely, though, I also don't doubt that some people (again, we'll never know how many) voted against her because she is not heterosexual.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »

X-rated bow chika wow music and a male voiceover leers, "She puts the BI in Bipartisan--" Candidate fades into view wearing black leather outfit. "--and she's ready to straddle any issue." She winks and licks her lips.[1]

In a perfect world, that would be her campaign commercial.  Of course, in a perfect world her sexual orientation would not matter.  &)
 1. Oh, I forgot that acting sexy is only allowed if you are a Republican family values politician with an illegitimate grandchild on welfare, a la Sarah Palin....

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »

X-rated bow chika wow music and a male voiceover leers, "She puts the BI in Bipartisan--" Candidate fades into view wearing black leather outfit. "--and she's ready to straddle any issue." She winks and licks her lips.[1]

In a perfect world, that would be her campaign commercial.  Of course, in a perfect world her sexual orientation would not matter.  &)
 1. Oh, I forgot that acting sexy is only allowed if you are a Republican family values politician with an illegitimate grandchild on welfare, a la Sarah Palin....

Right.  And, of course, if she's elected... she'll have to be the House Minority Whip.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »

Right.  And, of course, if she's elected... she'll have to be the House Minority Whip.

Does that mean she will have to give oral...

arguments?