Author Topic: If You Want to be a Politicain - Just Don't Answer Questions  (Read 376 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
If You Want to be a Politicain - Just Don't Answer Questions
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
So Chuck Todd of MSNBC was interviewing Mary Fallon, Gov. of Okie Homie. He asked her about the Republican stand on woman's reproductive rights and she just said "Well, I think women are more concerned about the economy and why Obama hasn't blah blah blah ..."

I'm thinking OK bitch, but what about the fucking question?

Then he tried to ask her why Repubs want gubment out of people's lives EXCEPT for women's reproductive rights, and again she just went off on a tangent.

Fuck bitch, you are worthless.

So if you want to be a politician, just don't answer hard questions. I guess most people are just too stupid to realize what they do, because they seem to all act the same way and seem to think it works.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: If You Want to be a Politicain - Just Don't Answer Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
I thought most politicians just asked another question in it's place. Or, gave a fake answer?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
Not only is she worthless, but so is Chuck Todd.  That is what is wrong with news and journalism.  It isn't liberal bias.  It is laziness, stupidity and a lack of thoroughness.  All these news people are corporate employees, and the point of a corporation is profit.  The point of news is supposed to be to inform the people.  It is one of the most important principles of our democracy.

I'd like to see a news/ political analysis show where they treat politicians with due respect.  That is, if someone pulled the shit she pulled, they'd turn her mic off[1] until she answered the question.  If she was factually incorrect, it would be pointed out immediately.  If she try to claim some quote was taken out of context, the video would be played for her right away. 

I'd like to see journalists actually take their job seriously instead of pretending to do it.  The only way that will happen is to take the profit motive out of it.

jesus christ.  I need a new country.

1. or blast her in the face with an airhorn
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
Yep, this is normal for politicians. :/

However, there is one journalist here in the UK that's interesting to watch and that's Jeremy Paxman, he's very much aware of the fact politicians like dodging, so he doesn't let them get away with it. Given he's interviewed people from all different parties in this style of journalism, I would argue there's no liberal or conservative bias. ;)

Here's a compilation for your interest.

“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
I'd like to see journalists actually take their job seriously instead of pretending to do it.  The only way that will happen is to take the profit motive out of it.

But then the politicians would quit going on air all together!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
It's not the politicians fault if journalists don't ask the right questions.  &)
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
Not only is she worthless, but so is Chuck Todd.  That is what is wrong with news and journalism.  It isn't liberal bias.  It is laziness, stupidity and a lack of thoroughness.  All these news people are corporate employees, and the point of a corporation is profit.  The point of news is supposed to be to inform the people.  It is one of the most important principles of our democracy.

I'd like to see a news/ political analysis show where they treat politicians with due respect.  That is, if someone pulled the shit she pulled, they'd turn her mic off[1] until she answered the question.  If she was factually incorrect, it would be pointed out immediately.  If she try to claim some quote was taken out of context, the video would be played for her right away. 

jesus christ.  I need a new country.
 1. or blast her in the face with an airhorn

I am so with you here. I'm reading a book entitled The Party is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless and the Middle Class Got Shafted. One of the points he made in the chapters I read last night is that the news media is FAILING in its job to truly challenge people and get at the truth. As someone who watched journalists dig out the Watergate scandal, I'm truly, deeply disappointed in what's called news today. Its heartbreaking. Maybe if they truly did their job we could actually fix something around here. I, too, am feeling in need of a new country. Preferably fixing ours, but if it continues to spiral down the toilet of corporate greed, it may become too frightening to stay here.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
But then the politicians would quit going on air all together!

It depends.  You cannot just airhorn them willy-nilly, however fun that may be.  If said journalist has a reputation for being tough but fair, it would look really good for the pol to make it through an interview with him.  And it would make you look like a phoney, a fraud, a liar and a pussy if you didn't go on.  It would help if said journalist taunted pols with that very line.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
an ex prime miniature here  Little Johnny Howard   
a creature I curse and loathe, had a method  of dodging unfavourable topics that worked only because it was allowed to work.

.......over time
to the initial query
"I've only just heard of this, I'll look into it....."
next
"We are still collating data, I will talk on this when we have the full picture...."
next
"This has been discussed in house, and you know my position is not to comment before the investigation is finished...."
next
"Look the public is sick of this, I have no further comment..."
next
"I have commented enough about that subject, that topic is closed....."

and variations  for fucking years and years, and as much as I hate Howard, more, I wanted to stab the dumb toadying milksop gutless journalists in the eye for letting him continuously get away with it.

I watched All The President's Men again last night(Watergate Nixon downfall, told sketchily from Woodward and Bernstein's >journalists who broke the story<position)[1]
What struck me was the realisation that I couldn't imagine that story happening nowadays.
The journalistic vigour just ain't as prevalent.
And wealth has truly subverted the society we live in.
 1. and yes, I know you old farts know all this
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
Why don't the interviewers simply tell them "You clearly didn't answer my (fucking) question - I'll ask it again." Why do they let them off the hook so easily?

God Damn I'm so sick of this. The questioner just sits there like a dumbass and let's them rattle off their canned bullshit "answers". I can just see her brain translating any question into "It's got to be Obama's fault ..." and they just whip up an answer to that effect.

These interviews are so worthless.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
I just had a thought. Sometimes it seems as if the public persons with the most honest approach is our political comedians/satirists (much like the jesters in a medieval court, who were expected to keep the king on his toes). Let's have them interview the politicians!  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »
Why don't the interviewers simply tell them "You clearly didn't answer my (fucking) question - I'll ask it again." Why do they let them off the hook so easily?

God Damn I'm so sick of this. The questioner just sits there like a dumbass and let's them rattle off their canned bullshit "answers". I can just see her brain translating any question into "It's got to be Obama's fault ..." and they just whip up an answer to that effect.

These interviews are so worthless.

....who really owns the companies the journalists work for HAL?
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
I just had a thought. Sometimes it seems as if the public persons with the most honest approach is our political comedians/satirists (much like the jesters in a medieval court, who were expected to keep the king on his toes). Let's have them interview the politicians!  ;D

I saw somewhere recently the grumbling that the US has to turn to comedy shows to get accurate reporting.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »

I watched All The President's Men again last night(Watergate Nixon downfall, told sketchily from Woodward and Bernstein's >journalists who broke the story<position)[1]
What struck me was the realisation that I couldn't imagine that story happening nowadays.

I'm not so sure, when there's scandal to be had, the media is there. I mean the media was there when IranContra broke, a scandal far far far worse the Watergate yet Mr. Telflon and company seemed to smile and waive it away, then we got Monicagate, which involved far more trivial a matter than Watergate, and it almost destroyed a Presidency that was the best for the country since FDR.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »

I saw somewhere recently the grumbling that the US has to turn to comedy shows to get accurate reporting.

I remember watching an interview where Jon Stewart basically said that, I've tried finding the interview since, but can't.

Funnily enough, much of what I know about the news these days tends to come from satire.  ;D Though I occassionally watch BBC news.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »

Followup question

Who's interest do the owners of these companies serve and how does that shape the news views they instruct their journalists to spoon feed us?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »

I don't know.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »

I'm not so sure, when there's scandal to be had, the media is there. I mean the media was there when IranContra broke, a scandal far far far worse the Watergate yet Mr. Telflon and company seemed to smile and waive it away, then we got Monicagate, which involved far more trivial a matter than Watergate, and it almost destroyed a Presidency that was the best for the country since FDR.

1986 is quite a while ago Hat

and of course the media loved monicagate    why? because it was a democrat cock up   exactly the subverted democracy I am talking about.

I restate my opinion that unless it is an absolute gimme (like photos of Abu Ghraib), or a like viral exposure, very little real investigative journalism like Watergate takes place nowadays.

I am happy to be proven wrong, but on the whole, money has subverted the media.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »

Comcast now owns 51% of NBC Universal while GE owns 49%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBCUniversal

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company

In late 2005, Viacom split itself and reestablished CBS Corporation with the CBS television network at its core. CBS Corporation is controlled by Sumner Redstone through National Amusements, its parent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS

CNN is owned by parent company Time Warner, and the U.S. news channel is a division of the Turner Broadcasting System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN

Fox News Channel (FNC), also referred to as Fox News, is a cable and satellite television news channel owned by the Fox Entertainment Group, a subsidiary of News Corporation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel

The company is controlled by Rupert Murdoch and his family members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Corporation

I was going to include another link, but Blackwell beat me to it.  They all have a vested interest making a buck.  Not offending anyone is a big part of that, which kind of gets in the way of the truth.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »

Unfortunately fairly true.  Pretty much the only "news" I watch is John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.  Stewart is an awesome interviewer, when he asks a question he doesn't forget it, and doesn't pretend that the bullshit that just came out of your mouth was really an answer when it was, in fact, a dodge.  Admittedly he leans left, but f$ck it, someone has to keep Faux News on its toes.  And he will attack the left if he things they are being asshats, its just admittedly less frequent.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »

Comcast now owns 51% of NBC Universal while GE owns 49%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBCUniversal

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company

In late 2005, Viacom split itself and reestablished CBS Corporation with the CBS television network at its core. CBS Corporation is controlled by Sumner Redstone through National Amusements, its parent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS

CNN is owned by parent company Time Warner, and the U.S. news channel is a division of the Turner Broadcasting System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN

Fox News Channel (FNC), also referred to as Fox News, is a cable and satellite television news channel owned by the Fox Entertainment Group, a subsidiary of News Corporation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel

The company is controlled by Rupert Murdoch and his family members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Corporation

I was going to include another link, but Blackwell beat me to it.  They all have a vested interest making a buck.  Not offending anyone is a big part of that, which kind of gets in the way of the truth.

....it was a rhetorical question screwt, but I thank you (and Jay) for the research and clarification.