Author Topic: Trouble at the polling place.  (Read 303 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
Trouble at the polling place.
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
One of the nearby topics referred us to Alternet.org.  After reading the subject topic about common attitudes toward atheists, I skimmed some of the others from the Alternet front page. This one is a gasser. If it is to be believed, then we'd better get out the tar and feathers and use it appropriately. http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/going-undercover-gops-voter-vigilante-project-disrupt-nov-election?page=0%1C6

Enjoy.

[Edit to correct link to the first page of article GB]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:38:19 AM by Graybeard »

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Trouble at the polling place.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
nice.
it makes me think of green pastures and flowers.....

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:02 PM »
nice.
it makes me think of green pastures and flowers.....
on fire.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +903/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
That is disturbing. I have been doing voter registration for several months, and it is an uphill push to get people to sign up so they can vote. I have been political since my 20's and it is hard for me to understand how so many people don't care about voting. And now people are organizing to kick people who have registered off the rolls.

It is so hard to get people to vote in the US, and these jackasses are trying to reduce the number even more. We have lower voter turnout than any European country. The most basic definition of democracy most people have is "majority rule", but less than half of the people eligible to vote ever get to the polls.

Many young people, especially,  shake their heads, "no" when I ask them if they would like to register to vote. They are turned off by politics, because the media has told them "all politicians are the same, all are liars, all are corrupt, none of it matters, there is no difference between the two parties, there's ntohing anyone can do."

They are tattooed, pierced, cool, multicultural and hip.  They have low-wage, unstable McJobs, a bunch of debt, no health care and live in mom's basement. If they want to go to college, they have to join the military and get shot at in the Middle East. They can't afford to start a business or buy a house or get married and have kids.[1] They don't realize that government policies have a little something to do with their crappy lives.  If they don't vote, a handful of people who they don't respect, who are less informed than average will make the decisions that will affect how they will live.

I get especially pissed off when young couples with several kids walk by my table and say they don't want to register. That means that they can't have any input on the local school board, the library levy, the new park, the laws regulating food safety, health care, water quality. I want to yell after them, "I guess you don't care about the world your kids will inherit, do you?"

Almost every elderly person I talk to is registered. And they vote. Unless they get kicked off the rolls....
 1. They will have kids, eventually, and then mom will have to take care of them all.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline NHB

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
"all politicians are the same, all are liars, all are corrupt"

I can't really say I disagree with this....

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
Politicians are worse than atheists[1].

-Nam
 1. publically speaking, in concern to the US
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
Politicians are worse than atheists[1].

-Nam
 1. publically speaking, in concern to the US
which brings to mind: aren't all US politicians theists?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
Not all of them. There are a rare few who are not.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +903/-6
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »
Many young people, especially,  shake their heads, "no" when I ask them if they would like to register to vote. They are turned off by politics, because the media has told them "all politicians are the same, all are liars, all are corrupt, none of it matters, there is no difference between the two parties, there's ntohing anyone can do."

How do you reply to the conspiracy theorists and the ones who say everybody but Ron Paul is out to destroy the USA?

A big part of the problem is the Media portrayal and the dishonesty within it. Watch Fox News and you are guaranteed the Tea Party is the new Holy Grail, watch the more liberal news like CNN or read the Huffington Post and you get a ton of anti-Romney, pro-Obama news articles, and check out Alex Jones and everybody is working together with the rich bankers to take away guns, destroy economy, force affordable health care down our throats, and is out to destroy the constitution except for Ron Paul.

The point of it all is, I'm disgusted that they don't want to get involved, but they do have a point when it comes to receiving information about the candidates and the bias within where you get that information from. They aren't so easily swayed as the older generation have been and when they give support and don't like what has happened, they are immediately turned off by the party they voted for.

I would like to point out that I am a fan of some of Paul's stances, especially on ending wars and legalizing drugs, but his supporters really go off into the deep end with these conspiracy nuts and  guys like Alex Jones treating him like the messiah of politics. It really makes much of Paul's message off-putting despite what he is saying being either trash or great value, depending on your views.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
.....Englebrecht didn’t say that she and her husband this year started a new company with the provocative name, Plan B Firearms. Acccording to Tea Party Web sites, "Plan B" refers to the steps "patriots" might have to take if Obama gets re-elected.

described a full-throated U.S. Justice Department conspiracy to ignore discrimination against white voters, or Fund telling people that they should enjoy bullying liberals because they were doing God’s work. “Your opposition are cartoon characters. They are. They are fun to beat up. They are fun to humiliate,” he intoned. “You are on the side of the angels. And these people are just frauds, charlatans and liars.”
Scary mentality

Where we vote (used to be a school but conservatives complained because no firearms were allowed in a school zone :o ), now a fire hall,  I'd guess there are maybe 300 signatures recorded as registered voters, and you sign beside your name, and the folks there (that seem  to be very competent volunteers) look at your signature.  From what I read, here in PA there hasn't been any real voter fraud at all over the years, even though the state (Republican gov, Corbett) is spending some 5 million to get this voter ID business established)  ... but we must cut education funding, you know...

It is interesting that these wacko teapartiers may be afraid that  more and more Americans would wake up and start to vote, but the "wrong" way.  And also reminds me that the majority of Americans nationwide did elect Al Gore.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +903/-6
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
It is so much easier to get a hundred people thrown off the voter rolls because they have a name like say, Martin T. Johnson, that is similar to a person named Martin J. Johnson in jail, then to get a hundred ex-convicts-- who have had their voting rights restored-- registered to vote.[1]And challenging people at the polls? This is so low--these are people who 1)went to the trouble of getting registered, and then 2)found out at least something about the issues, even if only the name of the person or party they prefer, and 3)showing up, possibly waiting in line, to vote.

The more steps you put between a person and the ballot box, the fewer will jump all those hurdles to vote. Marketers know this and try to make it easy peasy to buy things. Amazon has you register once, select a PIN and then you can order with only one click. Voting should be something like that-- isn't voting more important than buying stuff? We have the technology for people to be able to have a secure PIN so that nobody can vote twice, and there are ways of making sure the person who is voting is who they say they are--DOB, social security, mother's maiden name, first pet's name, favorite Monkee or Beatle, whatever. Online banking does this all the time.

If you are a citizen and over 18, you should be able to vote from any computer and at any time of the day or night, from say, a week before the election. And the rules should be standard from state to state. Is seems unconstitutional for a person to be allowed to vote for president in one state and not if they relocate to a neighboring state because of different ID requirements, different rules regarding felons, etc. Equal protection much?

As the numbers of people voting dwindles, you get more extremists, one-issue voters and partisans-- the people who really care about politics. Because people with less fervent attitudes and better things to do don't participate. Eventually most people stop paying attention to politics and try to survive as best as they can. All that no-government, local community, rugged individual thing that we in the US admire so much.

And that is how we could end up with a dictatorship where everything is taken over by a handful of people. Which would be bad for everyone, whether the dictator comes from the left or the right. Both types control the economy and all information and throw people in jail for thinking the wrong way.

Although I have to admit that I prefer a dictatorship like Cuba and China that tries to feed, house and give medical care to everyone, to one that just steals everything and shoots people, like in Guatemala and Haiti.  I have lived in two dictatorships (both right wing, the very popular "steal everything and shoot people" kind) and it is a very scary thing to have to watch what you say in public at all times.[2]
 1. I did not realize until I started doing voter registration, that there are some states that never allow a person to vote if convicted of a felony, not even after they have served their time!
 2. Although as an atheist in the US, I have had a lot of practice at that!