Author Topic: Insane in the membrane  (Read 339 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Insane in the membrane
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
During experiments on the axons of the Woods Hole squid (loligo pealei), we tested our cockroach leg stimulus protocol on the squid's chromatophores. The results were both interesting and beautiful. The video is a view through an 8x microscope zoomed in on the dorsal side of the caudal fin of the squid. We used a suction electrode to stimulate the fin nerve. Chromatophores are pigmeted cells that come in 3 colors: Brown, Red, and Yellow. Each chromatophore is lined with up to 16 muscles that contract to reveal their color.

Paloma T. Gonzalez-Bellido of Roger Hanlon's Lab in the Marine Resource Center of the Marine Biological Labs helped us with the preparation. You can read their latest paper at: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2012/08/13/rspb.2012.1374

Poor squid. Almost seems like cruel and unusual punishment but eh...it's all for scientific progress no?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Insane in the membrane
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Growing up in Tasmania, hunting and fishing, of all the things I killed to eat, squid and octopus were the ones that gave me greatest pause.

I have watched squid chromatophores cutting loose in the fridge hours and hours after death and dismemberment.

The potential intelligence of cephalopods stopped my squid jigging in the end.

The mollusc intelligentsia get a pass from my predation.

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
I have watched squid chromatophores cutting loose in the fridge hours and hours after death and dismemberment.

Hours after death, you say? Amazing; I'll have to find out a bit more about that. Fascinating creatures, squid and octopi.

Saw this posted on Pharyngula (of course, given Myers' preferences) as well. Maybe it's going viral.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
No, sorry.  Too tasty.  If they were smart enough to get out of my way I wouldn't eat them.  :D

Had a bitching piece of octopus two days ago at a local sushi bar.... Always a little scary in land-locked-rural Ohio, but so far no intestinal parasites!
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »

Hours after death, you say? Amazing; I'll have to find out a bit more about that. Fascinating creatures, squid and octopi.

Saw this posted on Pharyngula (of course, given Myers' preferences) as well. Maybe it's going viral.

I seem to recall (but we are talking decades ago now) the next morning, if you disturbed the flesh you'd still get muscle response (similar to shark)

I know a mate of mine was carving masks and skinning them in the squid skin (which obviously was a byproduct of our fresh calamari cuisine), and he too stopped for exactly the same reason.

and Garja  your punishment for eating cephalopods is being landlocked.

And until you've had a live octopus thrown on your bare skin, you haven't lived.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
...we tested our cockroach leg stimulus protocol on the squid's chromatophores.

Thank goodness you finally got around to it -- I've been lobbying my congressman for years to get that done.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:40 AM »
The first time I had octopus was by accident but I liked it.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Isn't it cool when you learn of people doing supremely cool stuff you had no inkling could possibly be done even by magic?

Happens to me all the time.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe