Author Topic: One hit wonders (or close) that you still like to hear ...... very occasionally  (Read 835 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
I'll start

an all time classic

great bass drums and construction
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Radar Love by Golden Earring is one  of my all time favorite tunes.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
great track
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Radar Love by Golden Earring is one  of my all time favorite tunes.

When the Bullet Hits the Bone.  Two hit wonder!

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
/pedant mode on

Three Dog Night was most certainly not a one (or even three) hit wonder. They were quite successful in their day. Yes, I am old.

/pedant mode off

Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
A three hit wonder --

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Dunno if this was more of a European thing, but Lordi suddently had big attention when they entered the Eurovision Song context with a song (and won), but it seems it might have been their only hit. I am still laughing (6 years on) about the fact they won. Imagine these guys winning American Idol, Eurovision song contest is not quite the same, but still, the contrast would still be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGiZrJG24o
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
/pedant mode on

Three Dog Night was most certainly not a one (or even three) hit wonder. They were quite successful in their day. Yes, I am old.

/pedant mode off

Ditto.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
A great song, but not sure if they had other hits. This is the only song I remember hearing.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
great track

Seriously.  Has there ever been a song with sillier lyrics and a more compelling beat?

I'd never seen the video before.  I'm an instant fan. 

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
     Way before my day, but most of the good music was.  This one certainly qualifies.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +77/-1

"Turning Japanese" was their only hit (at least in the US), but they actually released 2 albums with lots of great songs. "Jimmie Jones" and "Silver Machines" are two of my favorites. I think "Jimmie Jones" might have been a hit in the UK. It's one that you guys might appreciate, so I'll post it too:

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
Seriously.  Has there ever been a song with sillier lyrics and a more compelling beat?

I'd never seen the video before.  I'm an instant fan.

Agreed. Great song. Really silly lyrics.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
I'll start

an all time classic
The Knack - My Sharona
I hate that the video and radio cut out the guitar solo.  Here's the full version starting at the solo.

and for my contribution
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
Way before my day, but most of the good music was.  This one certainly qualifies.

OMG! The Mamas & the Papas a one hit wonder (or close)?  They had 11 Top 40 hit singles and sold nearly 40 million records!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:03:23 PM by Backspace »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
Yes, I was very very wrong about Three Dog Night   :-[

best known for their music 1968-1975
13 Gold Albums
21 consecutive Billboard top 40 hits
3 reached Number One
still recording and playing live

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Dog_Night
thanks for tuning me JesusH

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
thanks for tuning me JesusH

YW, but it just proves I'm an old geezer.

Now, Gary Numan, there ya go. I read somewhere he carefully plotted his music career as though it were a business case study. Analyze and target the market, deliver the required product, get the hell out. All of which he essentially did. "Cars" is a catchy tune for sure.

Offline shnozzola

......SCIENCE  SCI  SCI  SCIENCE ......        :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:26:11 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline shnozzola

Chase down Mr. Hinkydink.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-2
  • You know

It's weird to think of them as one hit wonders since they had two great albums but, in the pop world, they sort of are.  They were in a VH1 special and everything.

Also, if you're ever DJing for a crowd of thirty somethings and feel like you need to get them amped, this is what you play.  It's one of those tracks where people don't realize they know half the words until they hear it.
Nah son...

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
rev45: Man, I love(d) The Refreshments! While it is true that "Banditos" was their only chart hit, their best known[1] song is one most people don't even know is performed by them: The theme song from King of the Hill.

shnozz: C'mon, man, if you're gonna call Devo a one-hit wonder (utterly false, as they had numerous hits), you should at least use the vastly more popular "Whip It" as your song. I don't think "Through Being Cool" even charted.

Timo: Crossfade from Black Sheep to "Jump Around" by House of Pain and the whole place will erupt!

My all-time favorite one-hit wonder[2]: Dexys Midnight Runners with "Come On Eileen".
 1. or most heard
 2. at least in the U.S.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-2
  • You know
Nah, real talk, you go from that Black Sheep to "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest ft. Leaders of the New School or you calm things down a little bit and go with "Not Gonna Be Able to Do It" by Double XX Posse.
Nah son...

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7

Now, Gary Numan, there ya go. I read somewhere he carefully plotted his music career as though it were a business case study. Analyze and target the market, deliver the required product, get the hell out. All of which he essentially did. "Cars" is a catchy tune for sure.
If that's accurate then he was a cold bastard to the other members of Tubeway Army because Friends Electric had just made it "big", and the group folded. His plan?

And schnozz mate   Devo, one hit wonders   sorry bloke gotta disagree 
in Oz, there was a massive surf crew party scene that absolutely cut-loose to the spudkings.
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Girl U Want
Freedom Of Choice
Whip It
Beautiful World

In general aside (this is not aimed at you schnozz)
Quite educational in how we apparently take positions that we believe rational and informed, that are totally wrong when held up to evidence.

As OP I was called out immediately regarding my incorrect call that Three Dog Night were OHW.

I did the trawling and realised that when given the names of their other hits, I actually knew them, yet somehow I had never assimilated that knowledge.
And so I had fearlessly catalogued them as one hit wonders (because I incorrectly "knew" that's what they were).

I could never have catalogued Devo as OHW, because when they first came out, I was hooked, and actively pursued them long before they made any real market.

The difference being that I was interested, and actively engaged, and had verifiable info.

In the case of Three Dog I wasn't so personally engaged, and so had only developed "guesses" that somehow so felt real and accurate (to the degree I had no hesitation in posting those incorrect guesses).

I consider myself a passionate, but still very rational pragmatist, and yet again am given proof that I am very prone to taking "feelings" as evidence.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hoku - The Burrito Song[1]

-Nam
 1. just kidding
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
A lot of the bands/artists I thought of initially are "one-hit wonders" in my mind because I only know and like one of their songs. But I looked them up and it turns out many of them had more than one song hit the billboard 100. So, just to be sure it's really a one-goddamn-hit wonder ... here's a few I'm pretty sure qualify and I still like to listen to on occasion:

Because I Got High - Afroman (2001)

What's Up? - 4 Non Blondes (1993)

... and finally, because I'm a fucking metalhead and I just have to include something metal (even if it was just a joke/piss-take):

Three Little Pigs - Green Jelly (2002)

The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I've always found Green Jello[1] to be a fast-paced "punk" band rather than metal. I know some of their songs are metalesque but...eh.

They've had like 30+ members over the years.

-Nam
 1. can't do the weird "y" on the phone
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Here is a little ditty that a group of guys who grew up about 3 miles due east of me put together - in the part of the boro that feels more suburban than urban. 

I think this is the only song that got any airplay.  But they are praised as being among the fathers (grandfathers) of punk. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:21:36 AM by Quesi »