Author Topic: Cold reading? What's that?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Cold reading? What's that?
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
I was over my Moms house yesterday doing some chores and finally sat down beside her and she turned on Doctor OZ, first guest:

Theresa Caputo, Long Island Medium

And after the set up be mentions that skeptic state medium use a technique called "cold reading"

She states she has no idea what it is with an innocent look, then they move on to her doing her thing

And...it is textbook cold reading. Not one word about skepticism again. Sigh.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Cold reading? What's that?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
I don't hate Dr. Oz as he seems like someone who, at least on television, seems like he cares about people and their well being.  However, he does seem to stray off the medical path with the Long Island Medium, John Edwards, and supporting Reiki.

My area recently had a few Reiki practitioners move in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
I hate "dr" Oz just like I hate the fucking fraud "dr" Phil.  They are both products of fucking Oprah, the biggest bullshit peddler in the world, peddle the same bullshit themselves and are a disgrace to their professions.  Together they set back rationality as much as any church, if not more.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
^ Excuse the turn of phrase, but - AMEN!  Oprah is stuck so far up her own asshole I dont know how she walks.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:58 PM »
I thought this topic meant reading a book in a cold shower... IDK it was all I could think of. I thought maybe it was some kinda new sensory overload thingy that increased mental capacity or physical sensation. LMFAO seriously, my imagination is insane.

So any who, I'm a little disappointed that this is about psychics on Dr Oz. All I know about the good Dr is that he makes me afraid to give apple juice to my kids. And that sucks because I'm supposed to also be afraid of high fructose corn syrup in fruit drinks. Milk still cost more than gas, and my kid hates water. So Dr Oz ... puts me in quiet the conundrum. Some how we are surviving the hyperbole though.

The last psychic I saw was this crazy northern women... her voice kills me and I have no idea what the name of her "Reality" TV show is. I can't believe this type of crazy bull shit still sales.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:29 AM »
^The Long Island Medium lady?

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
I'd like to fist fight dr Oz.  I'd win.

a blog on his quackery
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/when-oz-met-novella/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »
^The Long Island Medium lady?

Yes! That's the woman, she's special.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
I'd fight her too.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
^No! Those talons! You'd get your eyeball poked out!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
I'd fight her too.
Can psychics see their own future?  If not she might not see you coming.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
I'd fight her too.
Can psychics see their own future?  If not she might not see you coming.

I always think when I see a storefront psychic who has gone out of business; "Shouldn't they have seen this coming?"
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Aerial

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
Oh wow, good to see some people who do not fawn over Oprah and her ilk.
She and those like her bother me so much.
Seems to be rude to criticise her to some though because she is so generous.
Meh, I appreciate those who are generous without applause.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +866/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
She's a smart business woman, probably an atheist, probably a lesbian. I have to cut her some slack, because back in the 80's in Chicago, I knew her when. She knows how to market to her audience, though. And she has succeeded, becoming her own industry in a field where many have failed.[1] Is there any other non-white woman from modest means who is as powerful as she is? Gotta give her that, although in her position I would be combatting the woo, not promoting it. :-\
 1. I compare Oprah to Lucille Ball and Dolly Parton--really smart women with no money, who figured out how to dominate in a rigged, unfair system.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 06:41:39 AM »
Oh wow, good to see some people who do not fawn over Oprah and her ilk.

I'd fight Oprah. I'd even fight Oprah and Gayle together, 2 on 1.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
She's a smart business woman, probably an atheist, probably a lesbian.

Well she hasn't always been a lesbian, as she did do hetrosexual S&M stuff in the house next to mine back in the late 70s(long before I moved in)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
I've always liked Oprah. Never cared for some of the people she promoted (like Dr. Phil) but, I think she's okay.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:29:09 AM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:14 AM »
I'd fight Oprah. I'd even fight Oprah and Gayle together, 2 on 1.

You are a sick bastard.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
You are a sick bastard.

And I don't get a Darwin for that?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »
Never liked Oprah, will give her credit for her successes though.

She dispences advice and most of the people listening to her swallow without question. Yeah that is kind of like religion. Nobody should have that much influence over people. 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
Here's an interesting video on Cold Readings:

Darren Brown has a small web series about supernatural scams and explains the science behind them (with demonstrations).

Also, if you've got more time to spare, he goes into in depth explanations with this Richard Dawkins interview.

Plus, he has some pretty awesome experiments (in the series: The Experiments) and does some pretty neat mind tricks and watching some of his shows can show how easily the human mind can be manipulated. I'd say his 'psychic' ability is greater than the lady in the Long Island Medium video, at least judging by the accuracy of what he does, yet he claims no special powers and to some (but not all) he offers the science behind them.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
I've always liked Oprah. Never cared for some of the people she promoted (like Dr. Phil) but, I think she's okay.

-Nam

Me too.  Honestly, she has done a great deal to get people motivated about reading.  She has explored many interesting topics on her show, in addition to the silly ones.  She has made herself really vulnerable, allowing the whole world to watch her battle with her weight, and see her go through very personal emotional ups and downs. 

And she is just such a great success story.

I remember how outraged I was when I heard the Stephan Spielberg was making a movie out of The Color Purple.  And then I fell in love with the movie.  And she was SPECTACULAR as Sophia. But she was certainly not someone who seemed likely to spend every afternoon in such a huge percentage of American living rooms. 

Yeah.  I like Oprah. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +866/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
^^^I agree with much of what you said. But with the amount of influence Oprah has, she could have, bit by bit introduced books about science, evolution, rationality, and critical thinking on her shows. Some segments on debunking the scams, psychics and urban legends that disproprotionately hurt her prime viewers--lower income folks, women and minority people--would have been a public service, and let her keep her audience.

Instead, she has capitalized on silly new age crap like "the secret". I know it sells better than atheism, but don't the woman have enough money now? Controversy also sells, if it is packaged right, and Oprah is a genius at packaging. She could have shown how her own thinking changed as a result of exposure to rational ideas and the scientific method.

She is no fool, so I don't think she really thinks she is sucessful because of god or positive thinking or visualizing having money. She has to wonder why she is so well-rewarded but not the millions of people who have bought the secret book, or the poor girls at that school in Africa she funds.

Incidentally, I attended the Chicago premiere of The Color Purple, and helped to get some of the proceeds to go to local domestic violence programs.[1]
 1. As I recall, the mainly black audience booed when Whoopi Goldberg kissed Margaret Avery. I am assuming most of the audience was familiar with the book, so what was the big deal? Today lesbian and gay characters are much more accepted, even among conservative black folks, I think that film kiss was one more little step.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
^^^I agree with much of what you said. But with the amount of influence Oprah has, she could have, bit by bit introduced books about science, evolution, rationality, and critical thinking on her shows. Some segments on debunking the scams, psychics and urban legends that disproprotionately hurt her prime viewers--lower income folks, women and minority people--would have been a public service, and let her keep her audience. 

If it had not been for Oprah, I might not have discovered The Poisonwood Bible, which is really one of my favorite works of fiction ever written.  Certainly somewhere in the top 10.  I probably re-read it every 5 years or so, and I am always startled by the content, the social insight, and the gorgeous prose. 

She also promoted The Red Tent, which is a wonderful portrait of the world in which the OT was written. 

Incidentally, I attended the Chicago premiere of The Color Purple, and helped to get some of the proceeds to go to local domestic violence programs.[1]
 1. As I recall, the mainly black audience booed when Whoopi Goldberg kissed Margaret Avery. I am assuming most of the audience was familiar with the book, so what was the big deal? Today lesbian and gay characters are much more accepted, even among conservative black folks, I think that film kiss was one more little step.

Cool.  Yeah, the movie really downplayed the relationship that was so much clearer in the book.