Author Topic: Legitimate Rape  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Legitimate Rape
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
The Onion was quick to respond. 

LITCHFIELD, CT—Though she was initially upset following the brutal sexual assault last month that left her pregnant, victim Martha Byars told reporters she was relieved Sunday to learn from Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) that her ability to conceive her unwanted child proves she was not, in fact, legitimately raped.

“Being violently coerced into having sex was the worst thing that’s ever happened to me, so I take comfort in knowing it wasn’t actually rape,” Byars said of the vicious encounter in which she was accosted in an alleyway by a stranger, pinned to the ground, and penetrated against her will for 25 minutes. “It was absolutely horrific—I felt violated in the worst way imaginable—but thanks to Congressman Akin, I now realize it must, at some level, have been consensual after all.”

“Thank God for that,” Byars added. “I’m so relieved to know that my child’s father, the man who muffled my screams as he forcefully penetrated me over and over and left me hemorrhaging to death on the street, is not a rapist.”

NEWS IN BRIEF

Republicans Condemn Akin's Comments As Blemish On Party's Otherwise Spotless Women's Rights Record
Explaining that the Republican senatorial candidate’s statements had “really opened her eyes” by helping her understand the workings of her own reproductive system, Byars said she only wishes she could have known at the time of her near-fatal assault that the female body has ways to shut down conception during cases of tried-and-true rape.

“Now that I know the truth, I realize none of the telltale signs of legitimate rape were there at all,” mused Byers, noting that her body did not in any way shut down but in fact continued to register excruciating pain throughout the entire cruel ordeal. “I must have at least subconsciously wanted it—otherwise, the sperm wouldn’t have been able to enter my body.”

“Not only is this knowledge a blessing for me,” she continued, “but it will no doubt bring great hope to the tens of thousands of women who are forcibly and savagely impregnated in the United States every year.”  http://www.theonion.com/articles/pregnant-woman-relieved-to-learn-her-rape-was-ille,29258/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »
Traveler,

And who does that really punish? Many rapists who are unable to get an erection (probably based on a psychological symptom of it not being enough of a pleasure anymore) use objects like bottles, or bats, etc.,

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Well, nam, they'd better also be locked up. I never advocated letting them go free, now did I?
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Sadly, unless they are extremely violent in the act of the rape, most rapists (depending on state and country) don't serve much time. There was a rapist last year in my city who only got 3 years. Which means he'll be out in half that time just so he can do it again.

I know what you're thinking: how is the act of rape not extremely violent. You read individual state laws, you can see how violent it can get.
-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
I have not yet confirmed whether these statistics are true. Quite frankly all this talk of rape is completely depressing me and I need to stop for awhile.  :(

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Yes it is depressing. Here in the Northern Territory, Australia, this sex assult offender was not only bailed, he's moved back to his house next door to his victim (sorry, can't find an online article about the bail)

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/08/17/312980_ntnews.html

It's a funny old world. Not.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »
“Now that I know the truth, I realize none of the telltale signs of legitimate rape were there at all,” mused Byers, noting that her body did not in any way shut down but in fact continued to register excruciating pain throughout the entire cruel ordeal. “I must have at least subconsciously wanted it—otherwise, the sperm wouldn’t have been able to enter my body.”

Yea Rachel Maddow explained it last night. She explained what these Cro Magnon idiots believe.

Legitimate rape is a term they really use. What it means (to the Cro Magnons) is that a women will not get pregnant if the sex is not wanted. Her body will shut'er down and the egg won't fertilize.

If she gets pregnant, then it must not have been unwanted sex, not really a rape at all, so it's not a legitimate rape.

Ugh, ugh.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »
And here's yet another person who thinks what akin thinks -

David Catanese, Politico Reporter, Removed From Todd Akin Coverage

Politico editors have removed David Catanese from coverage of Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) following the reporter's defense of the congressman's comments about victims of "legitimate rape" not getting pregnant because their bodies will "shut that whole thing down."

John Harris, editor-in-chief of Politico, said in a staff memo on Monday that Catanese "crossed a line a reporter shouldn't cross on Twitter when he seemed to weigh in on the merits of Todd Akin's comments -- especially in a way many people, including many POLITICO colleagues, understandably found offensive."

"Dave's tweets on Akin created a distraction to his own work, and to the newsroom as a whole," Harris continued. "They also made himself part of the story, requiring us for now to remove him from Akin coverage."

On Monday morning, Catanese returned to Twitter and addressed the controversy in which he had embroiled himself around midnight the day before. "Bad idea trying to have nuanced conversation on highly charged issue on here," he wrote. "Did not intend to take a side. Lesson learned."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/david-catanese-todd-akin_n_1813728.html

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
In this mornings paper in Missouri Akin is still polling ahead in the race.  I dont think he plans to drop out with these results.  And he will win.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
I just heard that Akin said when he uttered the term "legitimate rape" he meant "false rape" as in Roe v. Wade

Developing ...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Yeah, I just read he has no intention of dropping out even though the GOP is pressuring him to. I don't think it's 'cause they disagree with him but because, nationally, he could hurt them this November.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
In a way, I hope he does stay in. Less chance that they can win.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
In a way, I hope he does stay in. Less chance that they can win.

Here's the scary thing though - I'm not so sure Akin will lose his race.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
Missouri is a red state.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »
Yeah, HAL, that's my worst nightmare. I don't know. Honestly, I can't remember EVER being so frightened for this country as I am now. And even though I'm past my potential child-bearing years, I feel an incredible, bone-deep fear and anger that anyone might take the rights we've fought so hard for away from our younger people. It infuriates me that we can be so close to seeing the return of coat hanger abortions and ignorance about sex and contraception and so on. ARG!!!!!  >:(

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
Anyone read Conservapedia's article on "rape"? It has a small definition of it, a list of percentages per country, and then goes into detail about how atheism promotes rape.

Thought of that while reading comments from this topic.

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Have you seen the Republican platform?  No abortion even for rape and incest.  Also, no gay civil unions.  I give it 5 yrs maybe 8 years and we will be back to Blue Laws (no stores allowed to be open on Sundays) and women working in the job place will be looked upon as a very bad thing.

After winning on abortion and all they will have to move on to the next thing.  Can't be satisfied...always something to restrict.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:51:46 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
Cliff note version of the Republican Platform:

Women have no rights, workers have no rights, gays have no rights, minorities have n rights, billionaires own America.  Gut Medicare and Social Security.  Eliminate taxes on the top 1%. Slave wages for the bottom 99%. Happy Days are here again.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
See.  This guy will be a hero in a few days.  Might even get a guest speakers spot at the upcoming Borg convention.  Resistance is futile.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
Have you seen the Republican platform?  No abortion even for rape and incest.  Also, no gay civil unions.

That is a disgusting proposal. I am curious if the full convention votes in favor of this platform on Monday.

If they don't keep that particular plank in the platform I'm willing to bet money (that I don't have) that it won't receive as much coverage as the announcement today got.

In other words IF the full convention removes that specific language from the platform on Monday then almost NONE of the media outlets will announce that. They will just let the reports about the proposed platform stand.

I will personally be watching closely on that one because I WILL NOT vote for anyone who vows (as a representative of their party) to remove ANY constitutional right.

Even though gay civil unions are not currently a protected constitutional RIGHT. They should be. So I can't in good conscience vote for any one who opposes that issue.

The issue I have to wrestle with is this: Does economic policy trump social policy?

If the economy goes belly up and disintegrates completely then all of our rights fly straight out the window because "desperate times call for desperate measures"

And nothing will get "fixed" if everybody is free to run around all willy nilly doing whatever they want as if they are free to do so. NO SIR! Gubbaments gotta maintain CONTROL! And EVERYBODY is going to have to make sacrifices for the greater good if America goes bankrupt. 

So...do I vote for the party that will fix the economic problem? Which party might that be? It's hard to trust either party because of their collective past records.

Under Bill Clinton we enjoyed an economic boom but he installed the "don't ask don't tell" policy. He also sent a couple of cruise missiles into hospitals and asprin factories. Wounding dozens of civilians and damaging foreign relations. He also passed on the opportunity to have Bin Laden handed to us on a silver platter.

Under George W the government went on a drunken spending spree and enjoyed the implementation of the Patriot ACT and No Child Left Behind. The Twin Towers fell and he pulled together a coalition to go to war with a nation that had nothing to do with it.

Under Obama the debt has damn near tripled. Congress hasn't set a budget the whole time he has been in office. He has been hugely unsuccessful in promoting bipartisanship which he promised he would do. He pulled the old mark up then mark down strategy stores use to trick us into buying their shit on sale when he approved the troop surge AFTER promising to pull troops out then a year later bragged about bringing those same troops home. And it is absolutely fucking amazing how much MORE gun violence there has been in the news since he took office. He extended the patriot act and expanded his own power to selectively target and kill people using drones.

Constantly, in the background and in the headlines both parties have sought to erode our individual liberty.

I can't vote Democrat because they want to collapse the system and take away my right to defend myself.

I can't vote for Republicans because they want to collapse the system and take away women's rights and disenfranchise minorities.

This is why the two party system is a complete and utter failure. If their was only one party it wouldn't change anything because all the same people would still be in power.

The Constitution doesn't need to be redacted, our House and Senate does.

We should DEMAND tougher penalties for graft and corruption from our elected representatives. We should DEMAND stricter enforcement of their ability to collect money. We should DEMAND that no public servant be paid more than the average household income. Their insurance should be either available to us or they should only be able to obtain the same insurance offered to us. There should be NO lifetime  retirement benefits for any of them. Holding public office should be a sacrifice, not a good career move.

But I digress....If you all think that your party is the bestest most compassionate party that ever walked the face of the earth and that they truly only have YOUR best interest at heart...I gotta ask,

Did you bring enough cool-aid for the whole class?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
I think Obama tried to be bipartisan but when you have a Congress ruled by Republicans who only want one thing: Obama not to be in office, then it's sort of hard to be bipartisan to a wall.

-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
... We should DEMAND that no public servant be paid more than the average household income. Their insurance should be either available to us or they should only be able to obtain the same insurance offered to us. There should be NO lifetime  retirement benefits for any of them. Holding public office should be a sacrifice, not a good career move.

Bribery becomes that much easier and more widely available.  I suppose that's democracy of a sort.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »
Bribery becomes that much easier and more widely available.  I suppose that's democracy of a sort.

That's why you make the penalty for graft and corruption so severe and punitive that it ain't worth the risk.

Edit to add

The reason bribery and corruption is so widespread is because

1. They are blue collar crimes and the penalties are tantamount to a slap on the wrist.

2. Politicians enjoy Diplomatic immunity which they extend to all fascists of their day to day activities.

3. Their is a culture of corruption among the movers and shakers. They behave as though they are above the law. Because if they get indicted for any wrong doing they have enough money to by out their crime.

So, if we cut off their ability to make all that money and regulate them like they regulate us then the potential benefits of corruption would no longer out weigh the risk.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:20:57 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
It's not that simple.  Campaign contributions = bribery.  Post-political-career positions = bribery.  Opening a lucrative business in one's home town = bribery.  That sort of thing is hard to make rules against.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
Hey, look at it this way.  We are on our way to a theocracy anyway, so sticking to democratic principles ..... pssshhh.  Jesus.  That is all.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Under Bill Clinton we enjoyed an economic boom but he installed the "don't ask don't tell" policy.

? What's wrong with that?  It was an improvement over the prior policy which was to actively investigate whether military personnel were homosexual.  DADT was imperfect, but it was at least a step in the right direction.

He also sent a couple of cruise missiles into hospitals and asprin factories. Wounding dozens of civilians and damaging foreign relations.

Do you think that was his intention or do you think it was because the information he had was incorrect?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_missile_strikes_on_Afghanistan_and_Sudan_(August_1998)

He also passed on the opportunity to have Bin Laden handed to us on a silver platter.

That's just untrue.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_didn't_Clinton_take_bin_laden_when_Sudan_offered_him_to_America

I'm not saying there are no grounds to criticize Bill Clinton.  Just that the criticisms you offered were inaccurate. I would say NAFTA was a very bad idea he made happen as well as normalizing trade with china.

Under Obama the debt has damn near tripled.

much of that has to do with trying to avoid a depression and get the country out of a recession.  You know, the things Bush caused.  Economists will tell you that when in a recession the last thing you want is austerity.  It creates an economic death spiral a la Greece and other euro nations.  Our unemployment is not bad in the private sector, but because so many teachers, cops, firemen and other government workers were laid off, it persists.  In a recession, you do not worry about debt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_public_debt#2001_vs._2011
It also appears to be mostly not Obama's fault.

He has been hugely unsuccessful in promoting bipartisanship which he promised he would do.

Do you not think the republicans - the people who said their #1 priority was to make sure he only served one term - have any responsibility for that?

And it is absolutely fucking amazing how much MORE gun violence there has been in the news since he took office.

And you are blaming Obama?  Do you think it might have anything to do with the FBI threat assessment that suggested a major problem could be domestic right wing extremists?

He extended the patriot act and expanded his own power to selectively target and kill people using drones.

totally with you on that one.

I can't vote Democrat because they want to collapse the system and take away my right to defend myself.

Seriously?  They want to collapse the system?  Seriously?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »
Just to show you the real mind set of the Republican Party...A GOP 4th Senate District Committeewoman from Missouri, who is defending Akin, told the New York Times that what Akin meant was that life at all cost needs to be protected.  She said, God chose to bless women with pregnancies from rape.

So there you go women.  God has a hand in this rape stuff.  He has to get all those spirit babies down here somehow.  Buck up and do the Lord's work.

Any of you who vote for any Republican gets what you deserve.

Her name is Sharon Barnes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:19:31 AM by Nick »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
Her name is Sharon Barnes.

I understand, in operation Rape Rights they have a name...her name is Sharon Barnes

Her name is Sharon Barnes

Her NAME is Sharon Barnes

HER NAME IS SHARON BARNES[1]

1. This message has been brought to you by a sick cynical bastard who makes references to Fight Club. Please do not misunderstand the nature of his attempt at humor as an attack on Nick or any members of this forum. The author of this message apologizes in advance for any harm or distress his satire may have caused you or your loved ones and wishes to convey that he does in fact think it is a good idea to make as many people as possible aware of who is trying to abolish the rights of any American. Spread their names far and wide.