Author Topic: Why don't Christians understand?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
Re: Why don't Christians understand?
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
I hadn't seen the vulture and toddler picture before. That alone is heartbreaking. HAL's collage centered on it is devastating: showing the hypocracy, indifference, selfishness and even monstrousness of people, especially very religious people.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
...it seems (?) impossible to find a certain brand of christian that is willing or capable of having civil, logical discussions about their faith.  I mean, there are liberal christians who all but agree with me, and dogmatic sadists who are eager to see us all eternally tortured and can't string together a logical argument to save their lives, but nothing in between?...

I've tried to start conversations a couple of times about liberal christianity. I've never gotten much traction on them. Perhaps partly because the more liberal christians don't tend to come to these sites. And perhaps partly because its easier to discuss black and white issues, or try to make issues into black and white so that we can agree or deny more easily.

As an example, I find the discussions that rip apart the bible to be almost beside the point. Most christians don't believe in a literal bible, despite what our current political climate might suggest. So, rather than rip the bible to shreds, I'd like to hear from those folks why they believe what they believe. Why is a particular story "just" a parable? How did they come to that conclusion? What does it mean to them? And how/why are they christian in the first place? What defines them if the bible doesn't?

These and many other questions are of interest to me.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:45 PM »
Check this one out - I made it a long time ago to make the same point.

I like this picture... I guess I should also disclose that I'm a Christ Follower
well that figures....did you even notice the picture in the middle or were you to busy giving glory to God for the obtuse and disgusting monuments built for him?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:48 AM »
Anyone else think that's a good idea?

It certainly can't hurt.  I'm having a bit of trouble with my cynical side, though - after all, it's not what we do that makes us evil to the point of deserving eternal torture in the first place.  It's what we are.  And that's not changing.

I have the same problem.  When i hear stories of car bombings in Palestine, or shootings here in America, i get a little overwhelmed by just how monstrous human nature can be at times.  The state of the world sometimes puts in me in a state of shock. 

With that being said, jaimehlers is right.  Being proactive is the only way to make a difference.  I can afford to give at least one dollar a month.  Anybody know of a good organization to donate to?
Shelterbox. Direct, concrete emergency help for the people who need it most. And Kiva is a site where you can give a loan to a poor person that they will pay back to a fund to help other poor people.[1]
 1. Of course, then there's the nogodsforme cash only no questions please foundation.... :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +372/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
I have the same problem.  When i hear stories of car bombings in Palestine, or shootings here in America, i get a little overwhelmed by just how monstrous human nature can be at times.  The state of the world sometimes puts in me in a state of shock. 

With that being said, jaimehlers is right.  Being proactive is the only way to make a difference.  I can afford to give at least one dollar a month.  Anybody know of a good organization to donate to?

Another organization to consider:
http://foundationbeyondbelief.org/
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
It's because they only see what they want to see. So they ignore the bad stuff happening in the world.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:35:11 PM by Lectus »
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.