Author Topic: Why don't Christians understand?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Why don't Christians understand?
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »

What has God ever done?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Why don't Christians understand?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
My favorite pic that says there is no God is the one of the straving kid in Africa with the vulture waiting to take him.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
I hear ya ...

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
He hasn't acted mercifully, that's for sure.

I sure hope befree or whatever that users name if (our newest theist) doesn't see this thread. In one post he said god is love or some crap like that, and it just sickens me to hear people try to justify starving children with god's plan.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
These 2 pics and that one of the starving kid in Africa with the vulture should be the 1st things we send back when we get mail from a theist or newbe here. Hell, they should be part of the cover for "Why Wont God Heal Amputees".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
/sadness

Because it's their job to send .25 a day to help them in gods name.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Check this one out - I made it a long time ago to make the same point.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »
First time I saw the picture with the vulture.  I looked it up - then there was this:

In March 1993, photographer Kevin Carter made a trip to southern Sudan, where he took now iconic photo of a vulture preying upon an emaciated Sudanese toddler near the village of Ayod. Carter said he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the vulture would spread its wings. It didn’t. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away. (The parents of the girl were busy taking food from the same UN plane Carter took to Ayod).

The photograph was sold to The New York Times where it appeared for the first time on March 26, 1993 as ‘metaphor for Africa’s despair’. Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted the newspaper to ask whether the child had survived, leading the newspaper to run an unusual special editor’s note saying the girl had enough strength to walk away from the vulture, but that her ultimate fate was unknown. Journalists in the Sudan were told not to touch the famine victims, because of the risk of transmitting disease, but Carter came under criticism for not helping the girl. ”The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene,” read one editorial.

Carter eventually won the Pulitzer Prize for this photo, but he couldn’t enjoy it. “I’m really, really sorry I didn’t pick the child up,” he confided in a friend. Consumed with the violence he’d witnessed, and haunted by the questions as to the little girl’s fate, he committed suicide three months later.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5241442
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:58:03 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
he committed suicide three months later.

That makes the picture even more unfortunate.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
^^^ No doubt.  This whole thread feels like one continuous kick to the junk.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
he committed suicide three months later.

That's pretty pathetic. Even if he had picked her up, what could he have done for her? Even if he gave her family money to buy food and medicine for her, thousands of others just like her would die anyway. Instead of killing himself, he could have continued taking powerful photos that might have inspired real change.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:19:14 PM by screwtape »
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
It means nothing, just like religion. The unfortunate piece is; religion has a headlock on society.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »
IDK.  I think I would pick up the child and feed her. The hell with catching something.

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 03:52:39 AM »
Kevin Carter's story is only a drop in an ocean of tears.  If god is love, then why the hell is he so indifferent to the VAST amount of human suffering that takes place on this planet every single fucking day?  It's horrendous to even consider that some theistic entity is responsible for this mess.   

What in gods name are Christians thinking anyway?!  They worship a megalomaniacal, narcissistic, bronze age monstrosity that commits genocide and demands genital mutilation in their own "good book", yet they have the audacity to spew moronic shit like "God is love." or "Morality comes from the bible!". 

The amount of cognitive dissonance that is required to keep up this cretinous, yet intricate charade is staggering.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:56:32 AM by The Wannabe »
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »
"Morality comes from the bible!". 

The same morality that god can't even show himself. If the christian god does exist he has left us to our own devices to completely mess up the world and humanity, yet somehow helps people through very petty troubles compared to the grand scheme of things that is troubling the world, like world hunger, poverty, disasters and war.

If he does exist he has damn near given up on his population completely.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:09:03 AM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline veeshdog

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

I like this picture... I guess I should also disclose that I'm a Christ Follower

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 04:16:05 AM »

I like this picture... I guess I should also disclose that I'm a Christ Follower

What is it that you like about it?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
Anfauglir,

The suffering? A Christian isn't a true  Christian unless they constantly suffer.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
As I read this thread there is a feature playing on Good Morning America called "Celebrity Looks for Less". They've just shown some starlet in a gazillion dollar designer dress, then trotted out a model in a nearly identical outfit that can be had for "only" $128.

The disparity between the lives of that little girl and her family vs. the lives of the average American family is far greater than the disparity between my life vs. Bill Gates' life. I am far from rich, but compared to a starving kid in Africa we are all akin to billionaires.

I agree with Joe that the photographer should have taken a more proactive role to provide whatever help he could, rather than just offing himself. On the other hand, I can only imagine the incredible despair that must accompany being in the presence of such overwhelming poverty and being virtually helpless to stop it.

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter some years ago, and it broke my heart when I realized that we/I simply do not have the resources to save all of them.

This world sure has a lot of suck in it.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
The problem is that there's so much need in this world that no one person can possibly do enough, even if they dedicate their entire life to it.

But if a lot of people all give a little, it can add up.  If a hundred million Americans each gave a penny, it would add up to a million dollars.  How many millions would that help, especially if it were a regular thing?

Even if just the regular members on this site contributed a dollar a month towards helping victims of starvation, it would add up to thousands of dollars a year, I think.  Especially as word got around.  Even leaving aside the humanitarian benefits entirely, the simple fact of atheists contributing their time and money towards ameliorating human suffering would go a long way towards contradicting the typical theist perception of atheists as immoral.

Anyone else think that's a good idea?

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
the question I always run up against is, give money to whom? how do we know what really helps?  the animal shelter comparison is a good one.  it's good to get in there and do something, but the more involved you get the more you realize how overwhelming the whole thing is. 

There really is a question of, what should that photographer have done? given them some money?  adopted the kid and brought her back to raise in the US? 

I don't know the answers, and I'm not a fan of using it as a cop-out, but I do get easily overwhelmed by this stuff. 

At the same time, yes, giving a dollar a month to really anyone working on this would be much more productive than discussing it on an internet board (though no reason we can't do both!)

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
oops, I forgot to say what I meant to at first.   

I am checking out this forum because I was on Is God Imaginary? and a little overwhelmed by the meanness and stupidity of much of it.  Traveller thought I might like this one better. 

can't say as yet, but though christianity (and most religion) doesnt' make much sense to me, I know a lot of christians whom I love and respect.  They're not all selfish idiots.  they're not even all illogical.

I'm sort of sad (ok, pretty darn sad) that veeshdog didn't get a more friendly response.  I assumed they liked the picture the same way I do (maybe not a safe assumption, but why not?) - because it's powerful, it says something, it "works" - not because anyone likes to see suffering or whatever. 

And I think a lot of Christians ("Christ Follower" might be something slightly different, though as I don't know v, I don't know what they mean by it) have the same compassion that a lot of atheists do.  there are plenty of barriers to human connection that we have a hell of a time getting around, I just hate to see us creating them, or fortifying them, when they could remain absent, or at least surmountable

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
...I am checking out this forum because I was on Is God Imaginary? and a little overwhelmed by the meanness and stupidity of much of it.  Traveller thought I might like this one better....

Hey, welcome!!! I have to confess, I'm overwhelmed over there, and for the same reasons. I find myself wondering why I bother. :(

can't say as yet, but though christianity (and most religion) doesnt' make much sense to me, I know a lot of christians whom I love and respect.  They're not all selfish idiots.  they're not even all illogical.

I definately agree about the "selfish idiot" part. Most folks I know personally are pretty nice people, regardless of their religion. Illogical? Not in most ways. Its only when we drill down into the core of their faith that I think there is some logical dissonance.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
I am checking out this forum because I was on Is God Imaginary? and a little overwhelmed by the meanness and stupidity of much of it.  Traveller thought I might like this one better.

Hi, earthfreak, welcome to WWGHA.  I haven't spent any time at IGI, but I haven't heard many good things about it.

True.

I'm sort of sad (ok, pretty darn sad) that veeshdog didn't get a more friendly response.  I assumed they liked the picture the same way I do (maybe not a safe assumption, but why not?) - because it's powerful, it says something, it "works" - not because anyone likes to see suffering or whatever.

I know.  Unfortunately, it's an inherent risk with certain topics of conversation -- hard to remain civil, even if you really want to (and, frankly, a lot of people don't).  Religion and politics, of course, are the two notorious ones in this regard.

And I think a lot of Christians ("Christ Follower" might be something slightly different, though as I don't know v, I don't know what they mean by it) have the same compassion that a lot of atheists do.

I agree.  I've noted that religion and ethics seldom have anything to do with each other.

there are plenty of barriers to human connection that we have a hell of a time getting around, I just hate to see us creating them, or fortifying them, when they could remain absent, or at least surmountable

I know what you mean, but unfortunately, for some people, those barriers can't be eliminated.  It's a "my way or the highway" thing.  I've lost count of how many Christians have expressed their brotherly love for me by telling me that they're going to pray for me to die as soon as possible so that my punishment (being sodomized by demons while having my flesh engulfed in flame) may begin as soon as possible.  There's no approaching people like that -- and, frankly, no reason to want to, either.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »

I'm sort of sad (ok, pretty darn sad) that veeshdog didn't get a more friendly response. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to think of that whole thing.  My first inclination what to tell him off, but I wasn't sure what he meant so I left it alone.  If he did mean that "wow, I like that picture for its artistic merit", then yes, it's a sad but powerful picture.  I will say generally though, when you are commenting on a child that was almost certainly near death it is usually a good idea to specify your meaning lest you look like a heartless Ahole.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
yes, fair enough

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

It certainly can't hurt.  I'm having a bit of trouble with my cynical side, though - after all, it's not what we do that makes us evil to the point of deserving eternal torture in the first place.  It's what we are.  And that's not changing.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
I know what you mean, but unfortunately, for some people, those barriers can't be eliminated.  It's a "my way or the highway" thing.  I've lost count of how many Christians have expressed their brotherly love for me by telling me that they're going to pray for me to die as soon as possible so that my punishment (being sodomized by demons while having my flesh engulfed in flame) may begin as soon as possible.  There's no approaching people like that -- and, frankly, no reason to want to, either.

yeah, I haven't actually had that happen, though there are plenty that seem to feel that way, but know that it would make them look bad to say so.

I'm just saying in this case I hadn't seen that.  maybe a lot of us already kind of have ptsd and overreact at times when people aren't actually being assholes.  that was my only concern.

but I agree.  that's a part of why I'm here.    I think I'm already a little disappointed though, that it seems (?) impossible to find a certain brand of christian that is willing or capable of having civil, logical discussions about their faith.  I mean, there are liberal christians who all but agree with me, and dogmatic sadists who are eager to see us all eternally tortured and can't string together a logical argument to save their lives, but nothing in between?

I still tend to really want to understand "these people" and I keep coming down to, - what's to understand? they're mean and crazy.  sigh

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »

It certainly can't hurt.  I'm having a bit of trouble with my cynical side, though - after all, it's not what we do that makes us evil to the point of deserving eternal torture in the first place.  It's what we are.  And that's not changing.

I have the same problem.  When i hear stories of car bombings in Palestine, or shootings here in America, i get a little overwhelmed by just how monstrous human nature can be at times.  The state of the world sometimes puts in me in a state of shock. 

With that being said, jaimehlers is right.  Being proactive is the only way to make a difference.  I can afford to give at least one dollar a month.  Anybody know of a good organization to donate to?
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche