Author Topic: orwells boot [#2678]  (Read 410 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
orwells boot [#2678]
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:55 AM »
Let me first establish my --- well lets call it non trivialness

Orwells Boot

Enter the two words orwells boot into any search engine. The item(s)

that come up under the names factotum666 or dnusbaum.com, usually first or second, are mine. If you think that those words are special, then use either orwell or boot, and almost any combination of: obedience, tyranny, government, authority. My article will be either 1st or 2nd.

I would like to do something with the popularity of this 6000 word article, either by way of talks / speeches or working on expanding the ideas in the article. I am currently doing that at http://xfoolnature.org/?p=10

[name and contact information removed]

Now if you go to my xfoolnature article I discuss possible god, and his possible nature.   Sort of like spinoza did. As I say in my article, personally I am an agnostic about anything that I can not directly sense (the piraha people) or measure.  However, I do have an interesting few paragraphs on gods nature, if god exists, and present a cogent argument that if he does exist than his representatives on earth are scientists, with the college of cardinals equivalent to mathematicians and physicists.

If people are going to believe in some sort of god, and it seems that many are, then at least they can believe in one whose earthly representatives are mostly agnostic or atheists, and do not try and kill or control each other :-)

Go to Part I foundations.   You might wait a few days until the newest version, on which I am now working, is up.  But the current version is good enough

These are, sort of, my conclusions

* The world exists
* Any work in which man has had a hand is likely to contain errors
* If there is a god, then the world is his work
* What makes humans unique is their abilities to investigate the world and construct testable intellectual models of it. This is known as science. The uniqueness of humans does not come from any morality that sets us apart from the other animals since most social animals have a morality very similar to ours. What sets us apart are the following: Humans can use fire and can read — that is process abstract symbols. These two abilities underly our greatest ability, a creation that could be credited to Issac Newton and his contemporaries, and that is science. If we are, indeed, created in the image of god, than that would mean that our unique brain is in his image.
* If we are to know god it will be by studying his works directly, that is the physical world, not books which are, after all, the works of men who are fallible.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: orwells boot [#2678]
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
Let me first establish my --- well lets call it non trivialness
If there is any mention of a magic sky-pixie, you are in trouble from the start... ; )

These are, sort of, my conclusions
* If there is a god, then the world is his work
In the pantheon of gods that existed before Yahweh - the pantheon that is mentioned many times in the Bible - there were around 72 known gods but only one of them (not Yahweh) formed (not created) the earth.

Yahweh was one god among many.

All the others did not create the world. In fact most religions have several gods most of whom do not create worlds. Have a look at http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/IsisShrine/Norsemyth.html or better still google "Creation myth" and note the word "myth"

Gods do not create worlds - worlds are created by conglomerating debris from supernovae - to believe that a god did it, is to deny all the knowledge that man has accrued since the 16th century - why would you do that? why do you want to live in ignorance? Why do you want to persuade others to believe this garbage?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: orwells boot [#2678]
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »
The OP sounds like really bad science-fiction.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey