Author Topic: I am glad I'm here.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
I am glad I'm here.
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »
;D You make me happy by just reading this. LOL.

Hello there! I'd like to be addressed as Hiraichu and I'm a theist. I only got interested in this forum because I like this atheist. I want to know how far I can make it work if it does work.  :P Let's see how it goes. I would love to here your disagreements and arguments.   8) Just be honest for the sake of knowledge :D

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I am glad I'm here.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I hope that you find what you want to find here. 

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
Are..... Are you asking us how you can manipulate an atheist to get into his/her pants?

God would be disappointed.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »
Hi, hiraichu. Welcome to the forum.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
Are..... Are you asking us how you can manipulate an atheist to get into his/her pants?

Must be the "bad boy" image. She is playing with fire and dancing with the devil.  Careful...you could get burned.

Oh, and welcome.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline on:bread:alone

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »
i'm an atheist. a while back, in 2007, i dated a girl who was raised catholic and then converted to a pentacostal... loved her to death, but that's the one area that we didn't agree. i made several attempts to go to church with her, just to illustrate that even though i didn't follow her faith, i would support her decision. ultimately we broke up because she had an identity crisis. two years later, she came back an athiest. it still didn't work out, but it had nothing to do with faith or lack thereof.

advice on a theist dating an atheist? same advice you'd give anyone else. treat each other with respect, and don't go forcing your beliefs on one another.
i'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

please, check out www.letsgetrational.com

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
I was theist when I met my now fiance. He was in the process of deconverting, it was inevitable that I would follow the cookie crumbs as well.

Welcome to WWGHA, I hope you enjoy your stay and use your interest in this atheist to motivate you to finding knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:27:36 PM by Kimberly »
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I only got interested in this forum because I like this atheist. I want to know how far I can make it work if it does work.

Welcome.

Had you thought about what it would be like if you died while dating an atheist? You'd go to heaven and every day you'd hear their screams as they're tortured for all eternity because they followed their own reason.

That would suck... but what do I know?.. I don't believe in that stuff.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »

You're funny  ;D I don't even want to get into his pants  :-\ I want to know if it can work out.  ;D ;)

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:49:02 AM »
I only got interested in this forum because I like this atheist. I want to know how far I can make it work if it does work.

Welcome.

Had you thought about what it would be like if you died while dating an atheist? You'd go to heaven and every day you'd hear their screams as they're tortured for all eternity because they followed their own reason.

That would suck... but what do I know?.. I don't believe in that stuff.

:o I just wish they wouldn't be depicted that way. :'(

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »
I was theist when I met my now fiance. He was in the process of deconverting, it was inevitable that I would follow the cookie crumbs as well.

Welcome to WWGHA, I hope you enjoy your stay and use your interest in this atheist to motivate you to finding knowledge.

;D Thanks, Kim! You're real sweet.  :D What do you mean by follow the cookie crumbs?  :D

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
i'm an atheist. a while back, in 2007, i dated a girl who was raised catholic and then converted to a pentacostal... loved her to death, but that's the one area that we didn't agree. i made several attempts to go to church with her, just to illustrate that even though i didn't follow her faith, i would support her decision. ultimately we broke up because she had an identity crisis. two years later, she came back an athiest. it still didn't work out, but it had nothing to do with faith or lack thereof.

advice on a theist dating an atheist? same advice you'd give anyone else. treat each other with respect, and don't go forcing your beliefs on one another.

Thanks, OBA! :D I really feel uncomfortable when people force their beliefs on others.  :'( Each person is entitled to their own opinion.  :P You're totally right about the treating each other with respect and not forcing each beliefs on each other.  8) I'm pretty sure I'm a theist.  ;D I won't change that for him.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:28:35 AM »
I won't change that for him.

You sound like me before I started dating my now husband. I thought I'd never change my views regarding my love for jesus.

And you are right, other peoples' views do deserve respect, and each person is entitled to their opinion, but with that said it's best to agree with the opinion that makes the most sense in reality. In the case of a theist dating a non-believer, deconversion is done subtly, with no force involved. An atheist shouldn't force someone to read 'Godless' by Dan Barker, and a theist shouldn't force someone to read the bible or attend religious service, but if the discussions come up, those should be suggested. Lets not ignore the elephant in the room here.

Welcome to the forum. 

-M
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
hiraichu,

I meant that I too deconverted, albeit slower than him. And prob more importantly because of him. I don't think I would have asked the same questions with out his help.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »
You'd go to heaven and every day you'd hear their screams as they're tortured for all eternity because they followed their own reason.

:o I just wish they wouldn't be depicted that way. :'(

??? You wish it wasn't described that way? You're ok with it if your god tortures your friend for eternity because of a misunderstanding, provided you don't have to think about it with a good description?

Well ok, then ... ?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:41:49 AM by Brakeman »
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »

You're funny  ;D I don't even want to get into his pants  :-\ I want to know if it can work out.  ;D ;)

I try  :)

But honestly there is no reason why it wouldn't be able to work out, assuming you are not uber-bible-thumper, and he is not in-your-face-you-are-stupid-atheist.  That said, if you really know your religion and he really understands why he doesn't believe - you will have a fundamentally different view on the world and how it works.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline on:bread:alone

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks, OBA! :D I really feel uncomfortable when people force their beliefs on others.  :'( Each person is entitled to their own opinion.  :P You're totally right about the treating each other with respect and not forcing each beliefs on each other.  8) I'm pretty sure I'm a theist.  ;D I won't change that for him.

a) you're welcome.

b) "pretty sure" is a slippery slope. either you have faith, or you don't. there isn't really much of a grey area between believing and not believing, however there are (and this is a wonderful place to learn all about) many theologies outside of the abrahamic faiths... even simple, non-commital theologies like pantheism, or glorified philosophies such as buddhism. if i may, why only pretty sure? what parts are you not sure about? what lacks conviction? despite my usual stand-off-ish nature, i'm really not trying to be an ass or anything. i'm legitimately interested.

c) if you're going to change it, change it for you. i'm sure you'll find a lot of support in that decision from the members of this forum.

That said, if you really know your religion and he really understands why he doesn't believe - you will have a fundamentally different view on the world and how it works.

agreed, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing. i think differences of opinion lead us to educate each other... although ultimately, in this regard... it'll be trickier.
i'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

please, check out www.letsgetrational.com

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
I want to know if it can work out.

This would depend entirely on the both of you.

But could a theist and an atheist work together in a relationship? Why not? It just requires that bother parties accept their differences. If he's more interested in proving to you your God is not real and you're more interested in saving him from hell, then it's I don't think it could end well. If you're open about each other's views and are happy to talk about them maturely and respectfully, then I don't see how it would get in the way. Such couples have worked before and to be honest, if theists and atheists can be friends, why can't they be lovers. The main thing I see getting in the way is 'hell', because generally theists view us as hellbound and we're not looking to be saved, because it's disrespectful, heck I might even say insulting. But not every theist thinks that way, heck I know theists who believe that I would be welcome in heaven, so I won't pressume to know your beliefs.

And of course, we don't know what this other person is like. Some atheists, like any other type of person in the world, can be a-holes, they can be full of themselves, arrogant and annoying. The fact you're asking this question suggests that maybe he isn't that type, as hopefully those traits would be a turn off, then again, some people are attracted to that. :S I'd say atheists are a varied bunch, but I'd say if I were to date a Christian, the main thing I would hope is that they don't shove religion down my throat, I'd be much happier if we communicated on the same level, not necessarily on the level of atheism, but on common traits, on things we can appreciate and put aside our differences, because as far as everything else is concerned, they're not important to the relationship.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I hope that you're able to come here and have a good stay. I'd say as far as atheist forums go, we can be a tough bunch, I'd say wear thick skin and unless somebody actually does make a personal attack (in which case hit 'report to moderator'), avoid taking anything personally, because even if somebody's comment is loaded with sarcasm, they're not trying to get personal. Your arguments will no doubt be scrutinised. Some theists don't like how it works here, some do. The rules & mods try to accommodate for free speech as much as possible, but obviously, if something gets out of hand, someone will likely act (if they are aware, hence 'report to moderator' button :)). We're actually quite varied here in terms of who we've got in terms of atheists, different people have different approaches.

Regardless, we're not an unfriendly bunch (chatter is a good place to wind down, might be useful if you get in an intense discussion) and if there's any support you need, generally I like to think people are good at giving it.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:21 AM »
I want to know if it can work out.

This would depend entirely on the both of you.

But could a theist and an atheist work together in a relationship? Why not? It just requires that bother parties accept their differences. If he's more interested in proving to you your God is not real and you're more interested in saving him from hell, then it's I don't think it could end well. If you're open about each other's views and are happy to talk about them maturely and respectfully, then I don't see how it would get in the way. Such couples have worked before and to be honest, if theists and atheists can be friends, why can't they be lovers. The main thing I see getting in the way is 'hell', because generally theists view us as hellbound and we're not looking to be saved, because it's disrespectful, heck I might even say insulting. But not every theist thinks that way, heck I know theists who believe that I would be welcome in heaven, so I won't pressume to know your beliefs.

And of course, we don't know what this other person is like. Some atheists, like any other type of person in the world, can be a-holes, they can be full of themselves, arrogant and annoying. The fact you're asking this question suggests that maybe he isn't that type, as hopefully those traits would be a turn off, then again, some people are attracted to that. :S I'd say atheists are a varied bunch, but I'd say if I were to date a Christian, the main thing I would hope is that they don't shove religion down my throat, I'd be much happier if we communicated on the same level, not necessarily on the level of atheism, but on common traits, on things we can appreciate and put aside our differences, because as far as everything else is concerned, they're not important to the relationship.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I hope that you're able to come here and have a good stay. I'd say as far as atheist forums go, we can be a tough bunch, I'd say wear thick skin and unless somebody actually does make a personal attack (in which case hit 'report to moderator'), avoid taking anything personally, because even if somebody's comment is loaded with sarcasm, they're not trying to get personal. Your arguments will no doubt be scrutinised. Some theists don't like how it works here, some do. The rules & mods try to accommodate for free speech as much as possible, but obviously, if something gets out of hand, someone will likely act (if they are aware, hence 'report to moderator' button :)). We're actually quite varied here in terms of who we've got in terms of atheists, different people have different approaches.

Regardless, we're not an unfriendly bunch (chatter is a good place to wind down, might be useful if you get in an intense discussion) and if there's any support you need, generally I like to think people are good at giving it.
:laugh: Thanks, S! You're such a sweetie.  ;D Real thanks for the heads up and tips.  8)

Offline JesusHChrist

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
After having been married to a theist for a good long while, it only really worked as long as I kept my devil-worshippin' atheist ways to myself.

IMHO, I could never be with a theist again. No way, no how. My current wonderful GF is a deconverted, recovering Christian. And like an ex-smoker, she positively can't stand the theist way of thinking. Go figure.

Welcome and good luck in your pursuit of this "atheist'. Beware though; they are an evil, wily bunch.

Love the Christian. Hate the delusion.

"you dick hole just go f**k your self in hell go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn iam a strong beliver in the christ and he is compbeled at you !!!!!!!! screw you baster !!!!!!!!" -- random Christian #1636

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, hiraichu. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius