Author Topic: GOP lawmakers object to national school science standards  (Read 265 times)

3sigma

GOP lawmakers object to national school science standards
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/14/2298914/gop-lawmakers-question-standards.html

Republican legislators in Kentucky pushed in 2009 to have students tested to national standards. They’re now shocked to find those national standards in science testing expect  students to have a solid knowledge of evolution. Unsurprisingly, instead of ensuring the students have a solid knowledge of evolution, they want to change the tests—just for Kentucky—to downplay evolution and include creationism.

Here’s one benighted creationist Republican:

Quote from: Rep. Ben Waide (R)
The theory of evolution is a theory, and essentially the theory of evolution is not science—Darwin made it up. My objection is they should ensure whatever scientific material is being put forth as a standard should at least stand up to scientific method. Under the most rudimentary, basic scientific examination, the theory of evolution has never stood up to scientific scrutiny.

Here are some quotes from another mealy-mouthed creationist legislator:

Quote from: Sen. David Givens (R)
I would hope that creationism is presented as a theory in the classroom, in a science classroom, alongside evolution.

I think we are very committed to being able to take Kentucky students and put them on a report card beside students across the nation. We're simply saying to the ACT people we don't want what is a theory to be taught as a fact in such a way it may damage students' ability to do critical thinking.

That last sentence is another example of a religious believer using a phrase that means the opposite of what he is really saying—in a word, lying. For example, when religious believers use the word Truth when they are really talking about fiction, fallacies or misrepresentations (or TRUTH for an outright lie). Here he says they don’t want to damage the students’ ability to think critically, but what he really means is they don’t want to encourage students to think critically because that will cause them to relinquish their childish religious beliefs.

He wants Kentucky students to be seen to meet the national standard. However, his solution is not to teach them science to the national standard, but to lower the standard just for Kentucky. In other words, he wants to cheat.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: GOP lawmakers object to national school science standards
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »
Pretty soon their knuckles will be dragging the ground and they might rethink their stupid belief system.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/14/2298914/gop-lawmakers-question-standards.html

Republican legislators in Kentucky pushed in 2009 to have students tested to national standards. They’re now shocked to find those national standards in science testing expect  students to have a solid knowledge of evolution. Unsurprisingly, instead of ensuring the students have a solid knowledge of evolution, they want to change the tests—just for Kentucky—to downplay evolution and include creationism.

Hmmmm.  That is a problem, isn't it?  Why can't we just prepare our children to be the world leaders in scientific advancements, but just not teach them the aspects of science that conflict with Christianity? 

God wants us to be competitive on the world market in terms of technology and advancements.  He just doesn't want us to learn the sinful parts of science. 

Perhaps, if we pray really hard, God will just infuse our children with the appropriate scientific knowledge that will enable them to lead the world in the next generation.  That way, we could do away with the dangerous aspects of education all together. 

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
And on the topic of science, isn't it odd that this article is in an Indian newspaper when these little spiders were found right here in the USA? 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/flora-fauna/New-spider-family-found-in-US-caves/articleshow/15545045.cms

I'm really glad Noah didn't forget to include these guys on the ark. 

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
I would hope that creationism is presented as a theory in the classroom, in a science classroom, alongside evolution.

and the one about evolution being an incomplete theory.

It seems like an admission from the Right that the theory of creation isn't a proven fact. They seem to be arguing that since parts of the theory of evolution aren't proven fact, that those should be handled in the same way as the theory of creation.

There is more I don't know about evolution than I do know. Some things we can observe on a day to day or generational basis, like natural selection. But for high school students who are not trained in the scientific method or DNA coding or the higher functions of math and biology, to just be told by an authority figure that over billions of years one life form can transform into another is tantamount to mythology.

I think the problem could be that some teachers are not qualified to properly explain or teach the mechanics of evolution and just expect kids to believe it's so because they said so. And if you disagree or question their authority you receive a failing grade.

To tell a child that something is a fact without showing them how that fact came to be is like brainwashing.

These things should be handled more carefully. If there are parts to the evolutionary theory that are still theoretical then they should be taught as such.

Same with the big bang. Lotta holes in that theory. One major difference is that the BBT is treated as a theory even though it goes a long way in explaining what we observe and has helped us understand our universe more clearly.

Other than the creation theory (which doesn't even count) there are no current attempts to explain how what we see today could have happened any differently despite gaps and holes in the theory.

Why should evolution be held up on such a pedestal when nothing else in science gets that kind of reverence?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
These are the same people that look at the U.S. scores in Science and wonder why we suck.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
Creationism is a fact, Evolution is a theory. They have the same problem with gravity.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.