Author Topic: spin: Theists, if it was proven that aliens created life on earth...  (Read 511 times)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
would you then worship the aliens?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: spin: Theists, if it was proven that aliens created life on earth...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
We have before!!! :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
We have before!!! :o
Ive watched those Ancient Aliens things, not sure I believe them. They make SOME valid points as to the fact that the savage humans were were trying to describe things they had no words for but theyre still lacking in evidence, no only that the artwork they were using doesnt resemble in the slightest the most recent art of supposed aliens. I suppose they could be from different planets.

However, the simplest most reasonable answer with the available info is that they were making up stories. I mean in 2000 years our evolved species may find a bluray of Transformers and think we were really fighting against trucks in 2011.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
Worship?  Do you think a species capable of creating a craft to travel across the galaxy. would have such self esteem problems that it would require worship?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
Worship?  Do you think a species capable of creating a craft to travel across the galaxy. would have such self esteem problems that it would require worship?
No, I think they'd be comfortable in their own comparitive greatness.

However, often times when questioning a believers beliefs they will retort with "well what do you believe in?" instead of discarding the belief they simply look to replace it with something else. Its why they think atheism is a belief system, and appeal to Einsteins possible deism, etc. They (and yes I am generalizing) seem to have a need to be subservant to something, and the aliens would be the logical answer in this scenario. They always say they would worship without the promise of heaven or hell, worshiping the aliens would provide a chance to prove that.

3sigma

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
However, often times when questioning a believers beliefs they will retort with "well what do you believe in?" instead of discarding the belief they simply look to replace it with something else.
I see this often, too.

They may be using this as an evasion tactic. They are trying to stop you asking awkward questions about their beliefs so, following the old maxim that attack is the best form of defence, they will try to attack beliefs you may have in the hope that you will switch to defending them.

I’ve also heard religious believers try to justify their beliefs by saying, “Everyone has to believe in something”, implying that everyone holds some irrational belief. It seems like an ad hominen tu quoque fallacy to me.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:48:11 AM »
Depends. What do these aliens look like? Yoda? No. Thor? Hell yeah! ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +408/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Who created the aliens?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

Honestly I think some would, but not many.  I do however think it would fit with some of their views on end-times theology though.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
Scientology, Mormonism anyone?

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
Who created the aliens?
They evolved from star dust, maybe?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
^The film? Is DeNiro in a dress there, too?

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +238/-6
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

I’ve also heard religious believers try to justify their beliefs by saying, “Everyone has to believe in something”, implying that everyone holds some irrational belief. It seems like an ad hominen tu quoque fallacy to me.

Not quite, it is, however, trying to gun for a tu quoque; but is closer to ignoring the counterevidece or a straw man. If it was actually true, it would be a tu quoque.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Lectus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
Well, aliens creating mankind would be a much more scientific explanation if proven.

Aliens could for example have mixed their DNA with the DNA of Earth primates (monkeys) and then mankind was born.

That explains why we share a lot of DNA in common with monkeys, but we have a more powerful brain (to the point of making up Gods).

Jesus also said "In my Father's house are many rooms". Maybe he knew aliens created us and the space has many civilizations. Maybe his father governs the universe.

I wouldn't worship them. But I'd be friendly to them and try to learn as much as I could.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.