Author Topic: willwgp86  (Read 824 times)

Offline willwgp86

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
willwgp86
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »
I'm the type to pray out loud in my car about something troubling me. I never felt that God was really listening to me or helping me through my problem, it was really more of a self-reflection of my own life, and me telling myself to take action and do something about it. I was searching for a god that would truly help me. But with so many gods, churches, leaders, I couldn't help but think how foolish I was to believe in it all. I only offered 10% to the church when I was younger because my family told me to. But now that I'm on my own, I only offer money to local radio stations and  businesses.

Just yesterday, I stumbled across this site, read every reason to debunk what I've believed in for the past 25 years. It made it easier for me to just drop the chains and realize it's time to just live my life how I want to, and not rely on anyone else to get me there.

Now I feel free to live my life, and don't feel like there is some godly force hovering over me, threatening me with eternal damnation and hell for my actions.

Not to say I'm a bad person, but I am far from perfect.

I'm no longer afraid of Hell, and don't believe in Heaven. As much as I wish they were real, they're not.

I don't know what it's like to die, but I'm not afraid to.

If there is a god, he would have said something to me by now. Or answered a prayer. But the truth is, I am the one that's in control.

I just don't know how to break it to my family, my parents are conservative Christians and heavily involved in church, as is my sister and her husband who are also heavily involved at a different church. Currently it makes me sick to think about the fact that they are all believing what could very well be a lie. But they are free to believe whatever they want. My nephews are being brainwashed to believe in something that just isn't real, and I don't know what to do about it all.

Until then, I will celebrate my freedom by drinking a glass of wine and sit out in my front yard and just re-evaluate my life. Start over and press on.

Thanks for reading and taking me in.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: willwgp86
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum willwgp86;

Was it this site that helped you come to your conclusion or were you already pondering these things before finding this site?
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline willwgp86

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
I had always pondered about these problems. Why God wasn't talking to me, or why bad things are happening every day and God isn't stopping them. Why "God has a plan" but abortions are being allowed in every hospital worldwide. Why was I allowed to do something bad and no one stopped me? I would hide thinking I was going to get a backhand to the face; I was afraid of hell. I just can't envision there being a god if all of this is being allowed. I imagine in my head what it would be like to be a god, but I don't exactly envision any of this nonsense. This is life; life's what we make it. We are in control.

Thanks for the greetings, and reading.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
Welcome, willwgp86! To answer your first post, I have plenty of religious family members as well. I think the best thing to do is calmly state your opinion, and if they explode with anger, then just remain calm and rational. I think that you should tell them how you feel in a neutral setting or your own territory rather than in their homes, or things could get rather awkward. Anyway, that is what has worked for me. Congrats on your deconversion.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
I had always pondered about these problems. Why God wasn't talking to me, or why bad things are happening every day and God isn't stopping them. Why "God has a plan" but abortions are being allowed in every hospital worldwide. Why was I allowed to do something bad and no one stopped me? I would hide thinking I was going to get a backhand to the face; I was afraid of hell. I just can't envision there being a god if all of this is being allowed. I imagine in my head what it would be like to be a god, but I don't exactly envision any of this nonsense. This is life; life's what we make it. We are in control.

Thanks for the greetings, and reading.

You're not alone. I always wondered these things but thought I wasn't "doing it right". I look forward to more of your post and hope you enjoy your stay.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Welcome Will...

A lot of us here have gone thru similar things.  Hanging up the god belief is hard when you look around you and see the time, money, buildings, etc that have been formed for religion.  You wonder how it can't be not true with it all around you.  It is easy to dismiss all other gods throughout history.  It is that last one that is hard to remove.  But once removed it is a refreshing moment of rational wakening.  You are responsible for you and those times in the car were a way for you to reflect.

Take it easy with your family believers.  Delusion is deep with some and won't be torn away easily.  I use moments to insert a small sarcastic jab myself now and then.  Just enough to hint at the foolishness of religion.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »
Its rough man.  My Mother is a very staunch Christian and took the news about how I expected.  Crying.  I understood her, she felt her son was going to go to hell.  I am not going to lie to you and say everything will be okay, because just stating facts to someone who believes something on faith does very very little.

My advice is be patient, be kind, but be firm.  Make sure that they know this is not a decision you have made lightly, that you have considered it for sometime, weighed the evidence for God and found it lacking. 
I cannot tell from your post how long ago you made this decision, if it was literally in the last couple days I would advise waiting a few days before talking to your parents etc.  I personally just deconverted about 7 months ago and I still feel like I learn new things everyday... granted I spend a minimum of an hour a day on atheist sites and on YouTube making sure I understand my new (lack of) faith.  If it is something new for you I would youtube search Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, or Richard Dawkins and listen to their arguments (The Atheist Experience is also a pretty good show out of Austin TX, but available on YouTube).  I also strongly recommend A Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris; its short (not so) sweet and too the point (and you can download a pdf file for free).
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Parkeapan

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:00:31 AM »
Thanks for the message. It is a very good thing for me to lern

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Until then, I will celebrate my freedom by drinking a glass of wine and sit out in my front yard and just re-evaluate my life. Start over and press on.

I could have written exactly that  ;)
Belated welcome to freedom.
We could do with an update.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:00:07 AM by William »
Git mit uns

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »
I liked your story. I'm sorry about yours nephews because I fear that you can't do nothing. I don't know where do you live but if you live in "USA" being an Atheist in this place isn't easy. When I read people from "United States of America". I'm happy to live in "France" because in this country religion is a taboo subject (therefore the majority of people don't care about yours religious views). In "French Republic" the majority of theists are "cafetaria catholics".

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
Welcome, Will.  I know that I'm delighted (and I imagine a lot of like-minded folks are too) to hear you've removed your shackles.  Took me several years, and this site helped me a LOT.  Read stuff, learn arguments, participate in debates.  Check out the resources already cited.

I'll second the earlier post that said there's not much you can do about your nephews, aside from simply providing an example (without preaching!) of reason and free-thinking.

good luck, and keep learning!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces