Author Topic: Wha?  (Read 373 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +149/-3
  • Carbon-based life form.
Wha?
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
See what happens when you dwell in fantasies?  Your mind gets turned to sauce.  I saw this sign and thought, what the heck does that mean anyway?!

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wha?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »
Fantasies have created some of the best literature, video games, music, etc., so,it is good for something.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:37:18 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
GOD GIVES BY PROMISES SO THAT WE MAY RECEIVE BY FAITH

11 words

GOD: A singular entity that is the immediate, ignorantly contentful dead-end in the search for fool's contemplation for higher intelligence, if there was actually evidence of higher intelligence worth considering. On planet Earth, god is overwhelmingly imagined as male and mostly human-like. Whatever percentage of DNA humans share with chimps, given the attributes of said god, humans must share a comparable amount of DNA with said god.

GIVES: Easy to understand.

BY: Easy to understand.

PROMISES: Things for which you have guaranteed to give to someone.

FUCKED-UP, STUPID NONSENSE ALERT!!!
If god gives by promises . . . theoretically he could give promises for eternity, without ever fullfilling those promises! If this is what he's giving, what the fuck are you actually getting?:o

SO THAT WE MAY RECEIVE BY: Easy to understand.

FAITH: Gullibility to trust someone who gives exclusively by "promises".
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »
This is Christian English - it is English, but not as we know it.

God gives by promises means that the only thing you get from god is his word that he will do whatever he says he will do, and you get that whether you want that or not.

"that we may receive by faith" is very interesting. The normal construction would be "so that we must receive [something] by faith." The use of the modal verb "may" gives the impression of "being allowed to" e.g.
"May I have a piece of cake?"
"Yes, you may."

However, as God is all powerful, and it really does not matter whether we want his promise of not, "may" is entirely inappropriate. Nobody/nothing gives us that permission/allows us to receive whatever it is - it just happens (or does not).

Yet this is how the Christian sees God communications - God's going to do it anyway and somehow we are permitted/allowed to receive whatever it is - there is no real permission but, psychologically, it does put you in a very inferior position.

The only possible meaning of "that we may receive by faith" must be "so that we must blindly trust that the substance of the promises will occur."

It is the denial of personal observation and the acceptance of ignorance.

“Wandering in a vast forest at night, I have only a faint light to guide me. A stranger appears and says to me: 'My friend, you should blow out your candle in order to find your way more clearly.' This stranger is a theologian.”
-- Diderot, c1762
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:09:40 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”