Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 704 times)

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Greetings
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
Hello brothers and sisters of the interverse!

Born and raised in England and I'm currently sailing through my twenties with a little bit too much freetime, I decided to join up after a friend mentioned the forum as a useful source to feed my hunger for this fruitful subject. As many before me, I was born into catholicism without a say in the matter and did the whole christian thing for the first decade of my life and then my mind started to wonder. My parents worked effortsley to ensure the earlier years were enjoyable, which they were and it was because of them that I managed to catch a glimpse of something truely wonderful. One night, on our yearly trip to scotland, just north of Inverness; there was no natural light for miles, so one night my gaze was caught by the brightness of the night sky. Instinctively, I thought it was moonlight, but it wasn't - it was just layers of stars, which took my breathe away. So I looked into it and I ended up finding answers to questions I asked in my early years. The last five years have been the most exponential in terms of my own self development. I feel as if I've established a firm grip on what I believe and I'm very much dedicated into hearing what others have to say on the subject, to match it against what I've learned so far.

I'm firmly against telling people what they should or shouldn't believe in. If they ask me, I'll give them my opinion and I welcome them to question, probe or comment on anything I say.

That's all for now keyboard warriors!

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Hello Gohavesomefun,

It seems like I missed your intro thread. My apologies for the late welcome.

One night, on our yearly trip to scotland, just north of Inverness; there was no natural light for miles, so one night my gaze was caught by the brightness of the night sky. Instinctively, I thought it was moonlight, but it wasn't - it was just layers of stars, which took my breathe away.

It must had been pretty amazing to not attribute it to god. I live in the city and with all the lights I rarely experience the night sky in all it's glory.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »
Thank you :)

Its well worth going to an area with no artificial light on a clear moonless night. Powerful indeed!
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »
Its well worth going to an area with no artificial light on a clear moonless night. Powerful indeed!

Very much so.

I went to college on a mountaintop in rural Vermont.  The nearest town was about twelve miles away.  Even that one had a population of only about 13,000 people, and what little ambient light it emitted was blocked by mountains and forest.  The college had an observatory, and we spent a lot of great nights in there.  I'd like to get back into observing (and especially astrophotography) but my circumstances don't permit just now.  Maybe in a couple of years or so, we'll have to see.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:24 AM »
Welcome Gohavesomefun!  I look forward to seeing you around the boards.  Now go have some fun.  :D
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »

The future in laws are in the country with an open field across their yard (Still has some artificial light but only from houses.). I saw my first shooting star there. It'd be nice to go over for a meteor shower. I've not seen one of those in awhile.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.