Author Topic: ''People send themself to hell!''  (Read 671 times)

Offline colin040

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
''People send themself to hell!''
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
From what I understand, according to religious people, it's not god who sends sinners to hell. It's the people themself!

...But how? Also if that's possible according to some, shouldn't you be able to send yourself to heaven either?

Just a thought I had in mind.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: ''People send themself to hell!''
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:25 AM »
The devil is in the detail  :angel: 
Git mit uns

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
We supposedly get all the free will in the world to choose hell... or the limited free will to "accept" something we didn't ask for OR get sent to hell anyway.

What if I choose neither?  Ooops, free will violated - go straight to hell non-robot.

The "logic" makes my head spin, but great question.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving their god is.  - neopagan

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1088/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
From what I understand, according to religious people, it's not god who sends sinners to hell. It's the people themself!

...But how? Also if that's possible according to some, shouldn't you be able to send yourself to heaven either?

Just a thought I had in mind.
Those same religious people who say that people send themselves to hell by willfully sinning would also say that people send themselves to heaven by willfully {accepting Christ | doing good works | <insert other ways you've heard that get you into heaven>}.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +198/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
Assure a man that he has a soul and then frighten him with old wives tales as to what is to become of it afterwards, and you have a hooked fish, a mental slave.  (Theodore Dreiser)
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
Bet you can get an upgrade on Priceline.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
I find that people who say things like that are Bible illiterate.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +384/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
As ridiculous as the "people send themselves to Hell" assertion is, it has an even darker side.  A few years ago, I wrote the essay Hell is an Unattended Stove? for Exchristian.net.  I zeroed in on Biblegod's apparent reaction to all these people supposedly condemning themselves to eternal torment:

What kind of parent would go to the stove, turn all the burners on, put a ladder beside the stove, watch their own child climb that ladder, allow the child to fall onto the stove, and then just stand there for eternity and let the child scream?

The True Christian™ visitors to the site, who are usually falling over themselves to "explain" some error in Ex-C reasoning, aren't having much luck at all explaining that one.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
They play the "Jesus" get out of hell free card,you can do whatever they want as long as they accept Jesus as their Lord. This includes child molester priests and the higher ups who hide them....it's all OK because I have accepted Jesus.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)