Author Topic: Favorite Video Game  (Read 796 times)

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Re: Favorite Video Game
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »
Talking of Civilization, I've got CIV5, it's a pretty good game, but sluggish on this low spec comp. But then my gaming laptop died on me and I'll eventually be able to afford to replace it. :)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 06:03:01 AM »
^^ ooooh, is that the one with the learning AI?! *cue Terminator theme*
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 06:58:53 AM »
Dead Space
Dead Space
Dead Space
Uncharted
God of War
Mass Effect

The DLC Extended Cut did fix many of the problems of Mass Effect 3's ending, but it still ignores the huge and most important flaw.  It is absolutely possible for organics and synthetics to live together in peace. 
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
People who know me in real life are genuinely baffled when I self-identify as a middle aged lady gamer.  They just don't believe me.  As a perky, hyper-social, wholesome, good-deed doer, I defy the stereotype of gamer.  And I’m the wrong age.  And the wrong gender.  But I have been a gamer since before there were really gamers. 

Another lifetime ago, I was a teenaged girl working in a mall, near the arcade.  The creepy guy who ran the arcade would invite the pretty, young, female mall employees into the arcade after hours, turn the key, and give us a gazillion free games.  Space invaders was still new.  Along with Asteroids, and Galaga and Pac man, it was the cutting edge of technology, standing apart from the pinball machines.  I figured out the formula, and got all the high scores, and later, with fake ID, went to bars which sported the new machines, and stood behind men and watched them play and I squealed “Get them! Get them!”  and then suggested a match.  “If I beat your score, will you buy me a drink?”  And I would beat their score.  By a little bit.  And then I would challenge them again.  “If I double your score, will you buy my boyfriend a drink?”  And I would double their score.  By a little bit.  And the strangest thing would happened.  These guys would be falling over each other to challenge me.  “If I triple your score, will you buy a round for my friends?” And I would triple it. 

Not the most shining moments of my youth, this strange experiment in sociology.  In later years, the skills I learned would transfer to the pool table.  But that is another story…. 

And years later, I would discover the original Sid Meier’s Civilization.  The arrival of the game in my life would usher in the end of a 5-year relationship that was already on the decline.  No regrets.

My first online game was Earth and Beyond.  I introduced it to my friend P, and we became gaming buddies.  While everyone in-game was killing the Vrix, I became the oddball who discovered that you could feed them crystals and develop positive faction.  Although sunset broke my heart, P and I had moved on to the first online Starwars game.  Later he would drag me to the online Final Fantasy, and later we would journey into Everquest II.  In the period following my beloved father’s death, I escaped completely into the game, joining the server’s most demanding guild, and disappearing into the fantasy and the rigorous raid schedule. 

I’ve always kept up with the Sims.  And of course I loved the freedom of Morrowind.  Oblivion less so.  Hated those fiery gate places, but I felt guilty if I didn’t follow the main quest.   And now, in this era of mommyhood, I can only play games with pause buttons.  And no raid schedules.  So I got Skyrim, but honestly didn’t have the time to explore and immerse myself as I would have in another era.  But I break out the Sims from time to time, and my daughter has her own family consisting of a pink haired mom and two kids who never seem to get their housework or homework done, but who have lots of swing sets and slides and a pool. 

I suspect that someday, when my little girl is older, there will be games that we both enjoy, and we will become one of those multi-generational gaming families who explore complex imaginary universes together.  But until then, forums, not games, are my primary online distraction. 

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »
In approximate chronological order:  The Legend of Zelda (NES), The Guardian Legend (NES), Dragon Quest 4 (NES), The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES), Final Fantasy 4 (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Civilization/Civilization 2 (PC), Final Fantasy 7 (PSX), Armored Core (PSX), Diablo 2 (PC), Devil May Cry (PS2), Dynasty Warriors 3 (PS2), Samurai Warriors 2 (PS2), Fatal Frame (PS2), Wild Arms 3 (PS2), Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Metroid Prime (GCN), Naruto: The Broken Bond (360), Resident Evil 4 (Wii), Final Fantasy 4 (DS), Shogun 2: Total War (PC), Dynasty Warriors 6 (360), Diablo 3 (PC), Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (3DS).

Right now, Theatrhythm is absolutely blowing everything else away.  I imagine I'll eventually stop playing it daily, but I don't see myself selling it unless/until I no longer have a 3DS.

There have been a lot of other games I've played, but most of those made a really good impression on me, or else I played them a lot.

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have much free time to play video games anymore. Half-Life 2 is usually my goto game. I have played it all the way through several times but I never get tired of it. I will also occasionally play Counter Strike Source if I get a few free minutes.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
Quesi,

The first "omline" game I played was a Star Trek game but back then (late 80s early 90s) it was all text. Way before the world wide web. Which is why I say I've only been on the web since 2001 but I've been on the 'net since the late 80s.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
Quote from: Quesi
Later he would drag me to the online Final Fantasy,

Very good MMO, but out of all of the MMOs I've played, it is the biggest time sink. But I loved it. :)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
Anyone ever play an online virtual sex game? I did once. I paid for one month, and I just found it mildly interesting. It wasn't for me.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:50:46 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Quesi,

The first "omline" game I played was a Star Trek game but back then (late 80s early 90s) it was all text. Way before the world wide web. Which is why I say I've only been on the web since 2001 but I've been on the 'net since the late 80s.

;)

-Nam

Wow. I've had the same email address since the mid 90's - and I thought that was ancient!

Later he would drag me to the online Final Fantasy,

Very good MMO, but out of all of the MMOs I've played, it is the biggest time sink. But I loved it. :)

You know, I hear people talk about gaming as a time sink.  And maybe it is when you are playing solitaire or even tetras for hours and hours on end.  But I've never regretted any time that I spent in a good game.  As adults, we don't have that many opportunities to explore fantasy.  I mean.... outside of religion.  In those virtual worlds, I loved discovering hidden waterfalls and swimming in oceans and flying on the backs of mythical creatures and mining asteroids and casting spells.  Or building communities.  I like communities.  My buddy P still games.  And he is so close with some of our old guildmates that he has traveled to Pennsylvania and even Florida to hang out with people he met online.  I don't even regret the better part of a year in which I was mourning my dad's death, and I really disappeared into the fantasy world, and engaged in epic battles and (other than work) just focused on being part of server firsts and whatnot.  There were a lot of magical moments in there.  It was what I needed to do at that time. 

I just got back from a trip to Disneyworld with my 5 1/2 year old.  We went on many of the rides over and over again.  Winnie the Pooh.  Peter Pan.  Small World.  She ooooohed and aaaaahed at the same things over and over, and I knew that she saw and felt stuff that was much more profound than anything I am capable of feeling in my adult reality.  But some of the games came close.

At EPCOT, we went on the Star Wars ride 4 times.  Each time, it takes you to a different place.  And once, as we traveled over the desert landscapes of Tatooine, I felt such a rush of emotion.  I LIVED THERE.  I had a house there.  In a rebel city.  I collected creatures and trained them and rode them across that very landscape.   And for a moment, I really felt as if it was true. 

I'm pretty sure we have another lady gamer here.  Traveler?   I'm pretty sure you've talked about gaming too. 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
The internet has actually been around a lot longer than most people think, since the 1950s, or so.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
And once, as we traveled over the desert landscapes of Tatooine, I felt such a rush of emotion.  I LIVED THERE.  I had a house there.  In a rebel city.  I collected creatures and trained them and rode them across that very landscape.   And for a moment, I really felt as if it was true. 

From this and your previous statement you are talking about Star Wars Galaxies right?  What server? I was Tempest.  Had a guild-city out past Anchorhead near the Lars Homestead.  Some of the best times Ive ever had gaming.

Seppuku,

I checked my resources and you were correct about having to make changes to your ME2 play through. I will be as non-specific as possible

1. Both have to survive (duh)
2. Kill in the loyalty mission for the character named after an event in (ironically given were we are) the Gospel of Mark
3. (in ME3) Complete the fighter mission... my book says this but I thought you HAD to do it first anyway, but not sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:13:10 PM by Garja »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
Gotcha. In ME2, I only let one character die, just as well, it was the character I hated them most. I did the same in ME1.

You know, I hear people talk about gaming as a time sink.  And maybe it is when you are playing solitaire or even tetras for hours and hours on end.  But I've never regretted any time that I spent in a good game.  As adults, we don't have that many opportunities to explore fantasy.  I mean.... outside of religion.  In those virtual worlds, I loved discovering hidden waterfalls and swimming in oceans and flying on the backs of mythical creatures and mining asteroids and casting spells.  Or building communities.  I like communities.  My buddy P still games.  And he is so close with some of our old guildmates that he has traveled to Pennsylvania and even Florida to hang out with people he met online.  I don't even regret the better part of a year in which I was mourning my dad's death, and I really disappeared into the fantasy world, and engaged in epic battles and (other than work) just focused on being part of server firsts and whatnot.  There were a lot of magical moments in there.  It was what I needed to do at that time. 

Don't get me wrong, I love playing games and I don't think MMOs are a complete waste of time, because I enjoy playing them. In reference to Final Fantasy XI (as I called it a time sink) I had some great experiences and even made friends with people I still talk to online. There's fun memories involved, like my stupidity of pulling a monster in I thought I could solo and wiping out my entire group in some endgame content whilst they were farming for items we needed. I wasn't wrong, I solo'd it, I was just the only one left standing. We had great groups and great fun taking stuff down. But when I talk about time sinks in reference to a game, particularly an MMORPG, it's not necessarily how many hours you're spending on it, but how many hours of that are wasted. I shall demonstrate with an example of such a time sink.

One of my jobs on FFXI was a Corsair. I had him (at the time) all the way up to level 90. The end game gear was called 'Empyrian', I had some of my Empyrian armour, they weren't so bad to get, it still has a bit of a time sink. Now, I wanted my Empyrian gun, the Armagadeddon. I don't know how much you played, but I'll lay out some concepts (even if for other readers), NM = Notorious Monster (boss-like monsters, they're tough, some are soloable). Timed spawn - a NM will spawn after a certain time after death. Forced Spawn - Requires items/Key items to spawn the NM. Lottery Spawn - Can spawn at any time, usually 2 hours + after death. Tier 1 & Tier 2: these NMs are killed in tiers and are forced spawn using a key item, so to kill a tier 2, you first need to kill the tier 1 of that tree - these tend to require groups of people and tend not to be soloable. Empyrian Weapons required that you complete a series of trials to build the weapon. To get an level 85 Armageddon (the lower level) this is what your trials are:
All in the lottery spawn stage can be solo'd
Trial 1 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 3 times (spawns between 1 and 3 hours, can go 3+ hours)
Trial 2 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 3 times (spawns around 1 to 3 hours, has been known to take as long as 12 hours)
Trial 3 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 3 times (spawns in a large area, spawn window opens after 1 hour)
Trial 4 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 4 times (spawn on placeholder enemies (so you have to kill the right one), window is open immediately, but takes as long as it likes)
Trial 5 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 4 times (spawn on 1 specific placeholder, large area. wind open after 1 hour)
Trial 6 -> Kill specific lottery spawn NM 4 times(spawns after 1 hour, uses placeholders, one testimony of an 18 hour wait)
Trial 7 -> Tier 2 NM 6 times (requires team)
Trial 8 -> Tier 2 NM 6 times (requires team)
Trial 9 -> Tier 2 NM 8 times (requires team)
Trial 10 -> Gather 50 Gems. Drops from force spawn NM, drops 1 to 3 gems per kill, requires a team. Therefore, you'll be arguing over loot.
Trial 11 -> Gather 50 lanterns. Drops from tough forced spawn NM, drops 1 to 3 gems per kill, requires a bigger team. And you guessed it, you gotta argue over the loot.
Thats your level 85 version.
Upgrade it to 90 -> 75 hearts. Even tougher forced spawn and sought after by multiple classes. NM drops 1 or 2
Upgrade it to 95 -> 1500 metal plates. Drops from Tier III. 15% chance of dropping 1. But that's dropping for you, not the party. So no argument over loot.
Upgrade it to 99 -> 60 Riftdross. Tier VI, 2% drop for you. No argument over loot.
Want the afterglow effect? Then you're insane. That's 3,000 Riftdross. ;)

So why would I go for an Empyrium? They output a high amount of damage and are beneficial as far as invites are concerned. Most wouldn't consider inviting a Corsair without an Armageddon. Not an absolute requirement, but generally good to have. Now imagine if you're somebody who plays multiple classes/jobs? The damage is outputted by the special attack that comes with each weapon.

Okay, I picked an extreme example, but I mean that kind of thing when I say 'time sink'. To get the gear necessary for your level, you're putting a lot of time into the game doing tasks that become plain and boring. The trials would have been a lot more bearable if they were timed spawns, because you could kill a guy, come back 2 hours later and no waste that time keeping an eye on your computer. To me, that's just completely unnecessary and don't judge me badly, but I got all the way up to Trial 7 before I stopped playing the game. ;)

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:51 AM »
Pokemon

/thread
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
Pokemon

/thread
You know you can get an emulator for your Smart Phone. It's free and it's god damn awesome. Nearly cost me my job, but it was worth it!
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein